Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Solium Infernum

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 29, 2009

In this simultaneous turn-based strategy game, players attempt to take control of Hell by commanding legions of damned, using subterfuge, ancient artifacts, hiring vile commanders, and increasing skills to better assemble resources, fool opponents, and take valuable locations.

Testin' Ain't Easy: Solium Infernum

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

Play-tested the Hell Out of It

The Golem artifact is expensive, but powerful
    Just finished a session of last-minute bug hunting for Cryptic Comet's new game, Solium Infernum.  I've helped people test and develop stuff before, but this worked especially well for me because the developer made it clear that my finds were helpful, and that some of them were key to getting the game running properly.  Given how many testers were involved, that was humbling.  I know I'm good at breaking games, I've been breaking games on the software level ever since I discovered that the Atari 2600 could glitch if you fiddled with the reset switch, and that if you ram the tanks against the wall in Combat you could sometimes slip through to the other side and surprise your opponent.  It's really gratifying, even if so far it hasn't become a JOB yet, to finally hear that the thing you already know you're good at is helping someone else. 

I can't help but wonder just what sorts of combination of factors I missed during my tests.  This game is not straightforward and easy to plan out; there are tons of different items, leaders, powers and upgrades in the game, and it was impossible for me to test all the combinations.  It reminded me a bit of what I think when people talk about Magic the Gathering, how they have to keep coming up with rule fixes because of new, unforeseen combinations.  There aren't nearly as many in Solium Infernum thankfully, but there are enough that testing for them took time.  

All those combinations of objects lead to some interesting strategical choices.  Other strategy games have tended to pigeonhole you into a few discreet paths to victory, but Solium Infernum feels wide open by comparison.  I tried all kinds of things, from brutal conquest where I tried to just wipe out everyone, to stealing my enemies' resources, to manipulating events to make sure my territory got much bigger at the expense of my biggest rival.  Once, one of my leaders got to be so good at arena combat that I focused on arena combat exclusively, taking out champion after champion and racking up points while the leader kept leveling and getting better and laying down the hurt.

What It Is, What It Isn't

Time to decide what to do.
    The game Solium Infernum is a strategy game where you create an archfiend, one of those who are in line to inherit the throne of Hell after Lucifer's sudden departure.   When you start, the choices can be somewhat overwhelming, but this is a game that rewards experimentation, especially if you give the manual a good once-over to make sure you understand just how the game is played.  Some assumptions you might make about how things work don't turn out to be true. 

You start out by creating an archfiend using a point-buy system, assigning traits and attributes.  Every one of them matters, let me tell you, and pay special attention to the open victory conditions, which often can give you a huge chunk of points if you manage to complete them.  When you first start out, though, a well-balanced character is probably the best idea.  After some processing time you are shown your particular chunk of Hell, with a randomly determined starting legion (based in part on your how important your character is in the hierarchy of Hell), randomly placed stronghold, surrounded by other places of power that you can take over, and other enemies who want victory themselves.   

You have an interface which lets you bid in a bazaar on legions, commanders, manuscripts, relics, and artifacts, each of which performs a different function.  You gather resources which you can use to spend on the above, or use in rituals, pay for upkeep on the rare powerful legion with upkeep, or enable certain targeted events.  You move legions around on the map, capturing sections of Hell that will rope you 1 point per section at the end of the game, trying to move your legally recognized territory to the point where you can attack the Places of Power, which give you points per turn, and sometimes special abilities.  Since you aren't allowed by the laws of hell to immediately attack your neighbors, there's a "diplomacy" screen which basically lets you start a war with your enemies in different ways.   When your legions are successful, they level up, letting you select stat increases.  Your own character can also level up by sacrificing resources, assembling certain manuscripts, or through affixing relics to Places of Power, and all your character's stats help enable it to wage war, gather resources, act more frequently, and rain fire down on the enemy.

All of the action is resolved simultaneously through a series of phases that are processed at the end of your turn. Everyone tells the computer what they want to do ahead of time and it sorts out who beat who to the punch, who bid more, whether or not your secret ritual beat your enemy's resistance, et al.  The goal of the game is to accumulate the most points, which means you're the one most fit to rule (although there are some abilities which can turn this on its head!). 

On the Design

Character Creation
     Character Creation
    All this randomness does belie one of the underlying design philosophies of Solium Infernum: Hell can be unfair.  Sometimes you get left behind, and you have to work hard to scrape by.  Other times things can all align properly and you can kick all kinds of ass, laying down action after action that sways things in your favor.  For people who prefer everything to be exquisitely balanced, this may not be your game; there are times when an event is particularly poorly timed, ruining your plans.  If you want everything to go your way, other than loading a save there are times when it's better just to press on and hope for better luck in the future.  Except for the iron man mode, you can pretty much do that in the single-player, loading to rethink your strategy and learn from your mistakes.  If it makes it more fun for you, no shame in loading the game up again to try something else.  If you enjoy surprises and synchronicities, though, this game can be a blast to play.  As someone who was busy testing it, it's telling that I looked forward to testing and trying out new things, both as player and tester.

On the Theme

No Caption Provided
    There's flavor text for every legion, praetor (commander), artifact, and relic in the game, which are fun if you take the time to read them.  The paintings of these units are macabre works of art, depicting bat-winged terrors, crystalline skulls, hellish war machines, many-legged Skeksis-looking things I'd never want to meet in a dark alley, and much weirder stuff.  The units and buildings on the board itself are more stylized, reminding me of medieval grotesques, while the multi-part manuscripts you piece together have a more energetic, comic-art style of line drawing.

For someone who doesn't take such imagery and themes lightly, it was shocking to me at times to see some of the detailed paintings that represent the horrors you can find in Hell.  And at times I wound up thinking of my own philosophy in connection with what was on screen, but I'm of the ilk that thinks any game that provokes thoughts like that is already noteworthy.  At first it was a bit unsettling, but all of these images and random acts of slaughter just helped cement for me that Hell is not a nice place to live. That said, Cryptic Comet's version of Hell is a lot of fun to play around in.

Update: November 26, 2009 (Happy Thanksgiving!)

Solium Infernum is up for purchase, and there's a demo available with less stuff than the full version.  If you're in the mood for some unconventional strategy that's different every time you play, check it out.  I'm proud I had a chance to work on it in my own small way.

Apropos of the stuff I said earlier, I both had a really neat gameplay moment, and I also stumbled upon an error which will probably have to be corrected in a patch.  

The gameplay moment, at least, was great:  There's an event which means that some of Heaven's angels come down and basically kick everyone's butt until they're either pushed back or they destroy enough of Hell that they get bored and go home.  Well, the event got triggered, and the first legion they attacked was thankfully not mine.  The legion they DID attack, though, happened to be holding an Eye of Revenge (I think it's called that, anyway), that, if the legion who carries it is defeated, defeats the attacker!  Instead of the angels continuing their rampage, which probably the rest of creation would have been happy about, they got knocked back instantly.  Was a nice synchronicity that I didn't expect :)
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Play-tested the Hell Out of It

Just finished a session of last-minute bug hunting for Cryptic Comet's new game, Solium Infernum.  I've helped people test and develop stuff before, but this worked especially well for me because the developer made it clear that my finds were helpful, and that some of them were key to getting the game running properly.  Given how many testers were involved, that was humbling.  I know I'm good at breaking games, I've been breaking games on the software level ever since I discovered that the Atari 2600 could glitch if you fiddled with the reset switch, and that if you ram the tanks against the wall in Combat you could sometimes slip through to the other side and surprise your opponent.  It's really gratifying, even if so far it hasn't become a JOB yet, to finally hear that the thing you already know you're good at is helping someone else. 

I can't help but wonder just what sorts of combination of factors I missed during my tests.  This game is not straightforward and easy to plan out; there are tons of different items, leaders, powers and upgrades in the game, and it was impossible for me to test all the combinations.  It reminded me a bit of what I think when people talk about Magic the Gathering, how they have to keep coming up with rule fixes because of new, unforeseen combinations.  There aren't nearly as many in Solium Infernum thankfully, but there are enough that testing for them took time.  

All those combinations of objects lead to some interesting strategical choices.  Other strategy games have tended to pigeonhole you into a few discreet paths to victory, but Solium Infernum feels wide open by comparison.  I tried all kinds of things, from brutal conquest where I tried to just wipe out everyone, to stealing my enemies' resources, to manipulating events to make sure my territory got much bigger at the expense of my biggest rival.  Once, one of my leaders got to be so good at arena combat that I focused on arena combat exclusively, taking out champion after champion and racking up points while the leader kept leveling and getting better and laying down the hurt.

What It Is, What It Isn't

The game Solium Infernum is a strategy game where you create an archfiend, one of those who are in line to inherit the throne of Hell after Lucifer's sudden departure.   When you start, the choices can be somewhat overwhelming, but this is a game that rewards experimentation, especially if you give the manual a good once-over to make sure you understand just how the game is played.  Some assumptions you might make about how things work don't turn out to be true. 

You start out by creating an archfiend using a point-buy system, assigning traits and attributes.  Every one of them matters, let me tell you, and pay special attention to the open victory conditions, which often can give you a huge chunk of points if you manage to complete them.  When you first start out, though, a well-balanced character is probably the best idea.  After some processing time you are shown your particular chunk of Hell, with a randomly determined starting legion (based in part on your how important your character is in the hierarchy of Hell), randomly placed stronghold, surrounded by other places of power that you can take over, and other enemies who want victory themselves.   

You have an interface which lets you bid in a bazaar on legions, commanders, manuscripts, relics, and artifacts, each of which performs a different function.  You gather resources which you can use to spend on the above, or use in rituals, pay for upkeep on the rare powerful legion with upkeep, or enable certain targeted events.  You move legions around on the map, capturing sections of Hell that will rope you 1 point per section at the end of the game, trying to move your legally recognized territory to the point where you can attack the Places of Power, which give you points per turn, and sometimes special abilities.  Since you aren't allowed by the laws of hell to immediately attack your neighbors, there's a "diplomacy" screen which basically lets you start a war with your enemies in different ways.   When your legions are successful, they level up, letting you select stat increases.  Your own character can also level up by sacrificing resources, assembling certain manuscripts, or through affixing relics to Places of Power, and all your character's stats help enable it to wage war, gather resources, act more frequently, and rain fire down on the enemy.

All of the action is resolved simultaneously through a series of phases that are processed at the end of your turn. Everyone tells the computer what they want to do ahead of time and it sorts out who beat who to the punch, who bid more, whether or not your secret ritual beat your enemy's resistance, et al.  The goal of the game is to accumulate the most points, which means you're the one most fit to rule (although there are some abilities which can turn this on its head!). 

On the Design

Character Creation
     Character Creation
    All this randomness does belie one of the underlying design philosophies of Solium Infernum: Hell can be unfair.  Sometimes you get left behind, and you have to work hard to scrape by.  Other times things can all align properly and you can kick all kinds of ass, laying down action after action that sways things in your favor.  For people who prefer everything to be exquisitely balanced, this may not be your game; there are times when an event is particularly poorly timed, ruining your plans.  If you want everything to go your way, other than loading a save there are times when it's better just to press on and hope for better luck in the future.  Except for the iron man mode, you can pretty much do that in the single-player, loading to rethink your strategy and learn from your mistakes.  If it makes it more fun for you, no shame in loading the game up again to try something else.  If you enjoy surprises and synchronicities, though, this game can be a blast to play.  As someone who was busy testing it, it's telling that I looked forward to testing and trying out new things, both as player and tester.

On the Theme

No Caption Provided
    There's flavor text for every legion, praetor (commander), artifact, and relic in the game, which are fun if you take the time to read them.  The paintings of these units are macabre works of art, depicting bat-winged terrors, crystalline skulls, hellish war machines, many-legged Skeksis-looking things I'd never want to meet in a dark alley, and much weirder stuff.  The units and buildings on the board itself are more stylized, reminding me of medieval grotesques, while the multi-part manuscripts you piece together have a more energetic, comic-art style of line drawing.

For someone who doesn't take such imagery and themes lightly, it was shocking to me at times to see some of the detailed paintings that represent the horrors you can find in Hell.  And at times I wound up thinking of my own philosophy in connection with what was on screen, but I'm of the ilk that thinks any game that provokes thoughts like that is already noteworthy.  At first it was a bit unsettling, but all of these images and random acts of slaughter just helped cement for me that Hell is not a nice place to live. That said, Cryptic Comet's version of Hell is a lot of fun to play around in.

Update: November 26, 2009 (Happy Thanksgiving!)

Solium Infernum is up for purchase, and there's a demo available with less stuff than the full version.  If you're in the mood for some unconventional strategy that's different every time you play, check it out.  I'm proud I had a chance to work on it in my own small way.

Apropos of the stuff I said earlier, I both had a really neat gameplay moment, and I also stumbled upon an error which will probably have to be corrected in a patch.  

The gameplay moment, at least, was great:  There's an event which means that some of Heaven's angels come down and basically kick everyone's butt until they're either pushed back or they destroy enough of Hell that they get bored and go home.  Well, the event got triggered, and the first legion they attacked was thankfully not mine.  The legion they DID attack, though, happened to be holding an Eye of Revenge (I think it's called that, anyway), that, if the legion who carries it is defeated, defeats the attacker!  Instead of the angels continuing their rampage, which probably the rest of creation would have been happy about, they got knocked back instantly.  Was a nice synchronicity that I didn't expect :)
    RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By RagingLion

So this is what you were up to!  I was wondering what you had been playtesting.  I just read an article about this this morning so have a decent idea of what it's about.  The fact that you'll often only have 2 or 3 actions you can take each turn, with even your diplomacy being limited all sounds very interesting.  I don't think I'll get it but that's just because I find strategy games interesting and fun, but not as fun and engaging as other more immersive game types.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @RagingLion: The diplomacy is limited in one sense, but I think it's one of the best diplomacy systems I've seen in a game like this.  In other games, and I'm thinking 4X space empire type games, the diplomacy often feels like something you do when you can't do anything else, and you often didn't know where you were going with a lot of these strange conversations and dialogue trees.  SI dispenses with that, letting you know EXACTLY what the effect will be (how many points you'll lose, what will happen if they decide not to be provoked by your insults, that sort of thing).  Some people like vague mechanisms I guess, but this was something I really appreciated just as a player.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

That's cool, you have a hand in this game. I might try out the demo. I think I played the demo of Armageddon Empires. It was okay, but a little too much for me. I'm still kind of new to the genre.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Claude: I know what you mean.  I feel intimidated by larger strategy games because they feel a bit unforgiving and complex, like you have to know a certain sort of method in order to beat them.  Like the cardboard and chit stuff from old Avalon Hill or whatever, I'd always feel like I couldn't just race in and pound on stuff, I had to have support lined up and it felt less like viceral warfare and more of a irritatingly drawn out ballet.

This game at least lets you charge in.  So while I felt overwhelmed when I first booted it up, I put that aside and just started experimenting.  I found that even though there are many BETTER routes than others, none is necessarily, at least as far as I can tell, the best.  Higher movement and increased amount of actions per turn are demonstrably better, as is a decent "Charisma" rating which allows you more resources per turn, but since you can't have all of that at once you have to figure out where to concentrate your attention.  And if you build up something else, like the destruction rituals that let you blast fortresses and weaken them before you attack, you wind up having an advantage that the speedy guys don't.

All of this is just to say that it took a bit to learn, but that I found them out through repeated playing.  Since each game is different every time, it's fun to jump in there and just run into stuff.  It's not nearly as punishing as those "this is the correct path" sorts of strategy games.  If you check it out, even if it doesn't suit your tastes, tell me what you think.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ok, so this is what you have been working on. It's not Might and Magic VI, but I will forgive you today. 

I will definitely try out the demo at least, as strategy games like this are right up my alley. Assuming of course, that my computer can run it.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater: The main problem is the environment itself.  It's Adobe something something, which can be a bit twitchy (as I've found).  You're pretty much guaranteed to run it if you have a computer that's as old as mine, which I'm betting you don't :)

Let me know your impressions, negative or positive or meh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.