Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Forces

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 07, 2017

Sonic has disappeared and Dr. Eggman is finally on the verge of conquering the world with his robot army! Can Sonic's allies, with the help of a mysterious recruit, find the hedgehog and save the world once more?

Sonic Forces isn't for you but fans will love it

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Sega have two new Sonic games this year with Sonic Mania being handled by Christian Whitehead and co as a throwback to why you enjoyed Sonic as a kid while Sonic Forces continues the trend of Sega not knowing how to make a 3D Sonic game. With that said, fans of the modern games (even though I'm not sure how they exist) will absolutely love the new custom hero feature found within the new game. This is basically a huge nod to the Deviant Art community who create their own Sonic characters but it also became somewhat of a meme because searching for *insert name here* the hedgehodge into Google bring dozens of results.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By forteexe21

Definitely Jeff's GOTY.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoOzak

I enjoyed Generations, if Forces is more of that but prettier i'm sure i'll enjoy that too.

I'm still not quite sure what Mania is? A remake with some extra levels? A remix of all prior Sonic games? Or a new 2D Sonic that looks a lot like the old ones.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Abby looks like a sweet cross between Sonic and Tails. Super speed and the power of flight seems OP.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to talk about this on the podcast I do with my friends, especially the guy who is a Sonic fan and always so hopeful things won't suck heheh (though Generations and Colors were perfectly fine games). We had crazy speculation about that new character when it was just silhouetted, but I think this might break his hopefulness a little more.

The slightly different style seems possibly worthwhile as a third type. Also, hot music with probably bad lyrics in that gameplay video.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

Ahem, you're forgetting some things...

http://img09.deviantart.net/3f80/i/2009/046/c/a/ben_the_hedgehog_by_emomanic.jpg

http://img10.deviantart.net/8a34/i/2011/082/7/b/drew_the_hedgehog_by_blazemiku-d3cad1w.jpghttp://img08.deviantart.net/3a80/i/2010/282/4/7/patrick_the_hedgehog_outline_by_sapphireslash150-d30fngc.jpg

Image result for ryan the hedgehog

http://orig15.deviantart.net/55c8/f/2012/301/5/4/dan_the_hedgehog_by_dan23234-d5j8lla.png

http://orig05.deviantart.net/73f7/f/2010/331/b/f/vincent_the_hedgehog_by_ashley_shadow-d33qeyv.jpghttp://orig06.deviantart.net/6f14/f/2012/244/e/a/jason_the_hedgehog_by_amyrosefan1243-d5d58l2.jpg

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, if they can just make a game that runs at a stable 60 FPS, they can make a Sonic game for me. If "going fast" is the main characteristic of your series, then you need to make the game run at a constant fucking frame rate - yet they manage to fuck it up every time. I don't know how they haven't learned to prioritize frame rate stability above every other visual quality in these games...

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By odinsmana

@beachthunder: The fact that Vincent the Hedgehog is just Sonic with a red shirt is hilarious. Also the fact that it`s Dan the... Hedgehog!!! like it`s a surprise.

Actually these are all gold. I really need to google more Sonic the Hedgehog fanart.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, if nothing else this feature will make for great quick look material and/or a video featuring Nick Robinson and Griffin McElroy.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrcraggle

@beachthunder: I would've posted more but I didn't want a mod to think I was just posting this to pick on Sonic fans.

But let's not forget about Austin which has a few interpretations.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Man those drawings remind me of my time in elementary school xD

Always strongly disliked the games but loved the character as a 2-8 year old boy hahaha

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This is probably something they should have implemented a long time ago

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably something they should have implemented a long time ago

It's genius. Because it's kind of hard to say "look what stupid new character they came up for this game" when now it's ultimately the player's fault for designing that character.

You think this is so easy, YOU do it then!

Sincerely,

Sega.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrcraggle
    No Caption Provided

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I haven't seen the trailer, but I quickly looked up more info on the game and apparently there are different animal species to creating your original character. One option is making a wolf character so I demand a GBE quick look of this so we can get Giant Bomb's original character, Alex the Wolf, on this madness.

Alex would hate this, but this needs to happen. You can also make a cat too, so maybe Abby the Cat. However, we shouldn't be mean to Abby in her first year.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega have two new Sonic games this year with Sonic Mania being handled by Christian Whitehead and co as a throwback to why you enjoyed Sonic as a kid while Sonic Forces continues the trend of Sega not knowing how to make a 3D Sonic game. With that said, fans of the modern games (even though I'm not sure how they exist) will absolutely love the new custom hero feature found within the new game. This is basically a huge nod to the Deviant Art community who create their own Sonic characters but it also became somewhat of a meme because searching for *insert name here* the hedgehodge into Google bring dozens of results.

You DO realize this is basically Generations 2, right? One of the few 3D Sonic games pretty much everyone agrees was awesome?

Anyway, I still don't know how to feel about this feature. Out of all the franchises where I wanted to make my own character and be a part of it, the Sonic franchise never even crossed my mind. If the gameplay is good, I'm fine with it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

@nicksmi56: Snooty shots at fans of Sonic are unfortunately far too common. Although there have been MANY suck-ass 3D games, Colors and Generations were genuinely really well done.

Looking forward to this and Mania. But the character creator is kind of confusing.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never play this thing but I am genuinely happy for the vocal segment of Sonic fans who are open about having fursonas. This sounds like a fairly savvy person at Sega understands the series has that appeal and said, "Why not?"

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: Can you tell me what's so different about this game that Sega haven't done in the last several 3D Sonic games? At least each mainline Mario game looks and feels unique, this just looks like more of the same. Safe for fans, boring for everyone else.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nicksmi56
    @mrcraggle said:

@nicksmi56: Can you tell me what's so different about this game that Sega haven't done in the last several 3D Sonic games? At least each mainline Mario game looks and feels unique, this just looks like more of the same. Safe for fans, boring for everyone else.

You say that like most 3D Sonic games are the same 0_o

Since Sonic went into 3D, he's gone through at least 4 different gameplay styles (not counting the different gameplay styles within the games themselves).

Adventure, Adventure 2, and 06 had a formula where you could move fast at will, had a spin dash, and collected upgrades/new moves like the Light Dash and Bounce Bracelet scattered throughout the stages or hub worlds, though you just bought them from shops in 06. That's just for Sonic though. You also had shooting gameplay where the point wasn't so much to make it to the end as it was to get off the biggest combos off enemies to rack up a ton of points, treasure hunt gameplay where you had to use hints in conjunction with a radar to find three gems hidden in sandbox levels, and fishing gameplay in Adventure 1 where you had to catch a specific fish but could also catch larger and larger fish for more points and snapping the line meant a lost life.

Heroes was its own beast. Each team's characters were split up into 3 characters: speed, flight, and power. Speed characters were the fastest, could make tornadoes, were the only ones able to jump from wall to wall, and could use the signature Homing Attack on chains of enemies. Flight characters were used to reach higher elevation and were the best suited to take down flying enemies. Power characters destroyed obstructions, were best suited for combat with some enemies only they could take down efficiently, could glide, and were the slowest. Each type of character would grow in strength and efficiency when you leveled them up through items you got from defeating enemies or breaking certain capsules. Each team also had a Team Blast that you could fill up by using certain skills, gathering rings or killing enemies. It was basically a screen nuke, though some had after effects like invincibility or freezing time that you could use to your advantage. And to fight the final boss, you had to find a key within the second stage of each zone and complete a Special Stage to get one of the Chaos Emeralds, in contrast with other 3D games where you just get them from the plot.

1/2 of Unleashed, Colors, and 1/2 of Generations had the Boost formula, where they ratcheted up the pace and gave Sonic a boost. The game became more about reflexes and dealing with obstacles and tricky jumps while still blazing through the level fast enough to get a good time/rank. In Unleashed, the boost was given to you by rings, meaning you were pretty much boosting all the time, but in Colors, the boost was given to you by a specific power-up and the focus was more on standard platforming. Generations did the best of both worlds where you got boost from tricks and destroying enemies as well as rings, but you didn't get nearly as much and the levels weren't designed for you to go boosting all over the place like Unleashed.

The second half of Unleashed had the Werehog, which was basically God of War, and the second half of Generations had Classic Sonic which was, you know, Genesis Sonic.

Lost World became its own beast as well. Sonic was changed to be much slower, even needing a run button to run and a spin dash button to spin dash, and the game became more Mario-esque with less emphasis on speed and more emphasis on platforming and level-specific gimmicks. The homing attack became automated with a charge feature, and a parkour feature was added where Sonic could bound up or run on sheer walls.

TLDR: The Sonic franchise is the very opposite of safe. If anything, one of the biggest complaints from fans is how the series refuses to stick to one particular style of gameplay, instead changing it up every 2 games or so.

To answer your original question, the reason people are excited about this one is because Generations is the game that perfected the boost formula and also brought back the Genesis gameplay, pleasing both camps of fans. Plus this new gadget based gameplay for the customizable character has the potential to be different from anything we've had before.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

For fans of the genre..

Please don't stop these drawings.. Dave Lang Sanic, please. :)

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#23 rmanthorp  Moderator

While this is understandably very exciting, please be careful posting Sonic OC art as it goes off the deep end very quickly. Everything here is fine right now but I've seen other places fall into mpreg madness already and we don't want that shit here.

Anyway my OC will be Asura the Wrath and I can't wait for this dumb/amazing thing.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@andythemez: I'm glad someone posted Waypoint the Hedgehog.

DrRobotnikX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#25  Edited By DrRobotnikX

Apart from the bland gameplay the biggest problem I’ve had so far is the music. It’s terrible.

This really feels like a sonic game designed by a 12 year old. In one year.

This originally gave off a generations 2 vibe but it’s anything but.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.