Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

Join Sonic, Amigo, Ulala, and a bunch more classic Sega characters in this kart-style racing game.

Has anyone bought this game?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I read quite a bit of reviews and the game doesn't look half bad. Well, as far as kart racers go.  

What's intriguing to me is the characters... Banjo Kazooie, Akira Yuki, Jackie Bryant, Ryo Hazuki, BEAT!! 

I like the character selection a lot, besides that stupid bitch Amy. Why does she have to be there? 

Anyway, someone with the game, please tell us how it is!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

All I can say is...

Why?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy
    @animateria: Why wha? Why does this game exist? I wonder the same thing too but apparently it's not bad.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By animateria
    @xyzygy said:

" @animateria: Why wha? Why does this game exist? I wonder the same thing too but apparently it's not bad. "

Well, we know why it exists.

Because Mariokart exists.

I just don't see the appeal in all these clones of Mariokart.  They are never as good as Mariokart and the newest MK doesn't seem that great either.

Oh, and it's Sega.           (Edit: This part is a joke. Just in case someone goes crazy over this comment.)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I have thought about getting on 360, but I have other games on my mind that I would rather get.  I will probably end up getting this game once the price drops.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I have thought about getting on 360, but I have other games I my mind that I would rather get.  I will probably end up getting this game once the price drops. "
    That's how I'm looking at it too. I can see a price drop pretty fast, or a lot of used copies for sale. :P
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @xyzygy said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " I have thought about getting on 360, but I have other games I my mind that I would rather get.  I will probably end up getting this game once the price drops. "
    That's how I'm looking at it too. I can see a price drop pretty fast, or a lot of used copies for sale. :P "
    True that.  I seen that the game is only $50 for 360 so that's kind of cool I guess.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By swamplord666

No. If i did i would be encouraging sega to rehash sonic even more. we don't want that now, do we?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria

As an honest question with no sarcasm or jokes.

What's the appeal?

I absolutely adore the DS Mariokart but I don't think I need any more. Mascot kart games are okay but I'd rather play Wipeout HD or maybe Blur.  Kart games  just don't have the depth or polish, and mascots in random vehicles don't really do much for me.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By hatking

There is a demo if you'd like to try it out... the demo convinced me pretty quickly I won't be spending wasting any time on the game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By animateria
    Review from 1UP.

I guess it's pretty good for a Kart racer.

Eh, I guess I don't have affection for Sega characters or something. And kart racers.
    CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CowboyBebopper

A few of my friends and I sat around and played the demo and we all really liked it. We're gonna pick it up and if we don't like it, we'll trade it back to GameStop cause right now everything you trade in gets an extra 50% trade-in credit.

The reviews say it isn't half bad though so who knows? Any game where you can play as Beat from JSRF gets my vote.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm holding out for the game of the year edition.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CowboyBebopper

Just picked up the game and I'm happy to say that the final product is very nice and fun to play with friends. Haven't unlocked all the characters but it's more than just a Mario Kart clone. At least give it a rent.

blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By blazerx9x

I bought this game today for the wii, I feel it is safe to say that this is worth buying, especially with some buddies

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm really enjoying it y'know. I've always been a massive fan of Mario Kart-esue titles though (I just find them a lot of fun), and I'm also a huge SEGA fan, so y'know. At the end of the day, this game ain't ever going to win Game Of The Year or anything, but it's pretty cheap, plays really heavily on SEGA legacy, has really good trophies/achievements, great track design (although I'd like to have seen more tracks from different SEGA franchises -- why not a Space Harrier level, etc?) and has good online.

I expected the frame-rate to be better, and the power-ups could have been more interesting, but this is just a fun game you can sit down with on an afternoon and play for an hour or so.

So yeah, I think it's really good.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @get2sammyb said:
    "  I expected the frame-rate to be better... "
    Having played the demo, this is my one real issue with this game. After playing so much Burnout Paradise, I have pretty high standards when it comes to the frame rate in my racing games.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Cube

David Jaffe did.

Bghattas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bghattas

I bought the PS3 version. I got it for those weekends where I have to babysit my niece and nephew. They love Mario Kart DS and so they should be familiar with the play mechanics. I couldn't find another good easy-for-kids-to-play kind of title. They still don't have the hands or patience for LittleBigPlanet.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was interested in the game but the demo's gameplay let me down. I love the character diversity and the levels look good, but I'm very picky when it comes to kart racing gameplay and I just don't feel like this game nailed it.

(The demo also served to increase my worries regarding how ModNation Racers will turn out)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " (The demo also served to increase my worries regarding how ModNation Racers will turn out) "
    Did you play the beta? Frame-rate and loading issues aside it's looking pretty good for Modnation in my opinion.

They have four months or so to fix that stuff.
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By JohnRehill

I don't think it looks that good, but that's an assumption and assumptions are baaaad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

My girlfriend is huge into cart racers so I got this for her birthday and I have to say it is pretty fun. Definitely fills that arcadey racer void  in a way the last couple of Mario Karts have failed at. I just could of done without a couple of the Sonic characters i.e. (anyone who wasn't in Sonic 3 or before) in place of some more Sega characters like the chick from Streets of Rage, The Dwarf from Golden Axe, The Ooze, Vectorman, or a Panzer Dragoon.
    I mean seriously they put in Big the Cat over Toe Jam and Earl. 
    I don't want to stir up shit but this will probably be the best game with Sonic the Hedgehog this century.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Some of the character roster is a bit questionable.. I understand that Sonic is the big draw here, but I would have been fine with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik and Amy to include a couple of more female characters.  I guess Shadow was too popular to miss out, but Big seems to have been included merely as a joke.. and it's not very funny.

Chances are, there will be a lot more coming as DLC but at least you won't be forced to buy them.  The 'chick from Streets of Rage' seems unlikely, simply because her name is Blaze and I imagine they will add Blaze the Cat from Sonic sooner or later.  Gilius Thunderhead however was in the Tennis game and was in early versions of this, so I'd be surprised if we don't see him as DLC.  Same goes for NiGHTS, and Gum.  The developers apparantly underestimated the demand for Vectorman and Ristar, but those two along with Vyse from Skies of Arcadia have been the absolute most requested characters.. there's a good chance we'll see them added.  

Toejam & Earl are a bigger issue, as they were actually in the game but pulled because of a liscencing issue that has since been sorted out.  We've been told the first batch of DLC will be very soon, and my money's on it being them.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CowboyBebopper

Having played for hours and hours already, I know I'll be a sucker and buy DLC. They've already said they have it planned.

Why not? It seems like a decent game and I'd love to see the fan-base grow for it.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Luke
    deadward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By deadward

I'm playing it with my kid and having a blast. It's a fun little time waster, it looks good, and it's full of little fan service details.
    The bummer part is that a ton of shit is locked at the beginning in classic Kart racer fashion... I don't know if I have it in me to do that any more.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MVP1101

I got this game on 360 for my  nephew last week and it is shockingly good. I could have done without Big and Amy but overall it is nice to see things like Jet set Radio, House of the Dead, Alex Kidd, and Chu Chu Rocket  represented in the game. I hope this gets a ton of DLC.  

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @MVP1101 said:
    " I got this game on 360 for my  nephew last week and it is shockingly good. I could have done without Big and Amy but overall it is nice to see things like Jet set Radio, House of the Dead, Alex Kidd, and Chu Chu Rocket  represented in the game. I hope this gets a ton of DLC.   "
    How is Banjo-Kazooie? Is it weird playing as them in a SEGA game?
    MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MVP1101

Banjo-Kazooie works very well within the Sega world and TBH they fit in a little better then people like Ryo and Jacky/Akira.   

uglybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uglybob

the big thing putting me off is the frame rate, is it the same with the retail version as it is in the demo

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animateria said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" @animateria: Why wha? Why does this game exist? I wonder the same thing too but apparently it's not bad. "

Well, we know why it exists.  Because Mariokart exists.  I just don't see the appeal in all these clones of Mariokart.  They are never as good as Mariokart and the newest MK doesn't seem that great either.  Oh, and it's Sega.           (Edit: This part is a joke. Just in case someone goes crazy over this comment.) "
    Mario Kart is Wii Exclusive, so someone who liked previous Mario Kart games but does not own a Wii would want it (an example would be myself, but it's not a game I'd buy over several others coming out soon).
    Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Atary77

I bought it on 360 for 30 bucks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.