Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

How to Revive Sonic

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Many may already know that Sega is prepped to dish out a Sonic the Hedgehog 4 to the console arcades. Some have given Sega full praise for trying hard in giving their mascot a hand. Some are still in skepticism if whether or not it's all going to all work out in the end. Personally, taking Sonic back to its 2D routes isn't going to save Sonic; it's going to make him look stupid and lazy. 

No Caption Provided
    Now, don't consider the last statement as offensive. What I mean is that Sonic shouldn't be in hopeless maudlin, and backtrack to a type of career that he belongs; he should not give up, and move forward like the other franchises that it competed or worked with. Zelda went to 3D and did its Z-targeting thing. Mario, too, went 3D and did its exploring-open-level, star collecting business. Metroid eventually did the same by going first-person, and still maintaining the gadget finding exploration that its 2D children carried. The series's that we know and love from the past have become a part of the future. (That excludes games that went back to previous routes for good ol' nostalgia, like Other M and Super Mario Bros. Wii/DS.)

Sonic needs to follow suit. Sonic Adventure did what it did, and don't get me wrong, it was great at that; but it would lead to a time when such gameplay would grow dated and unworkable, as what we see as true with the greatest Sonic game of all time:

(insert sarcasm here)
     (insert sarcasm here)
    Yes, yes, I know; after this piece of dog shit suffered undeniable apologies from its creators, Sega finally decided to develop solid products that contain the blue furry that we all know and love and forgive. But those games were still not enough to help Sonic compete with the big competitors. So what was it going to do? Make another failure or mediocre 3D product? Yes, but simultaneously, no. It was going to do what the fans pleaded:

No Caption Provided
    All well and good. It's better than nothing. However, it could be so much more. This move--no melodrama intended--is cowardice in my eyes. The game might turn out good, in fact, better then the 3D games before it. But do you see the lack of risk that Sega is willing to take? In truth: no. Sega already took the risk in trying to modernize its mascot. They're just doing to wrong! They're not realizing the fact that they destroyed their main dude, their universe, their side-characters, and their lore. Sonic is now anime inspired. It's punkish. Its style and tone is redundant and cringe worthy. Its full of bad voice actors, lame epic stories, and a crappy design concept in which every level a record maker. Sonic isn't entirelyabout speed. 

The guy is just an agile, rudely playful dude that's sympathetically cocky by his manners, but intelligently hasty by his planning. Sonic isn't speedy by just movement, but instead, by his (...semi?)humanity. How do I know that such a character should be this way, if it's not one that I have forged? Because that's how Sega made him originally. Not only is the dated design destroying Sonic games, its world and style is assisting its bacterial decomposing. Enough with Amy, Knuckles, that white and black hedgehog, and that fat cat guy that we don't even care about.

SATAM crew
     SATAM crew
    The Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon series is not only one of the greatest cartoons of all time, it's also the greatest realization of the Sonic universe. The concept doesn't involve giant gods that destroy dimensions in a spiraling time cycle--only to predictably get defeated by a furry Super Saiyan. It, instead, involved a small resistance of primitively weak, nature loving furries fighting off a technologically advanced enemy run by a corrupted human named Robotnik, and his whimsy side-man Snively. It's a simple premise that could be thought up by anyone, but the the characters that it supports cannot even be conceived by your article-writing ass. They all seem cute, and carry cartoony flaws that give them a kiddish feel, but the problems at hand and the relationships that they carry give out so much power and realism that even adults will feel attached to such a cutesy bunch. And yet, while scenarios can get darkly serious, the cartoon is still toned lightly enough for kids. This is all done by incredible writing, passion, and cautious thought processing.

This is the way Sonic should be. The games should follow the essence of this cartoon. Since the series was canned at the end of Season 2, all thanks to the Power Rangers, the original cartoon writer should come back and write the whole script for the SATAM game from Season 1 to the unprecedented end. SATAM fans want their unforgotten story to continue, and doing so would also benefit the actual Sonic fans. Let the voice cast make a return in playing their roles from SATAM, just as how the cast from the classic Batman cartoon returned for Arkham Asylum. Let the design not be based on beating time records, but instead let it be some type of open-ended game where you travel across the plains of Green Hill zone, and live safely in the town of Knothole. Try to survive by the use of stealth and tactics when inserted in Robotropolis. Instead of spin dashing your enemies, let Sonic toy with their robotic innards by twisting their heads, dancing around them, or using items from Sonic's backpack that maybe deemed useful.

Do side quests that involve the side episodes that had nothing to do with stopping Robotnik. Help Router find parts to make items and gadgets. Let Dulcy transport you to areas around the very landmass of Mobius. I can spat on about my ideas for such a game, but such a concept would dare happen. Sega is stuck with where Sonic is now, and changing it would probably many the fans even angrier than they are currently. So for all that are out there that have probably read this probably horribly written blog post: What do you think? Is this a good idea? Do you think it's a little too risky? Will it destroy Sonic? Are my ideas vague or tribulate? 

Answer, and thanks for reading. (No seriously, thank you.)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Many may already know that Sega is prepped to dish out a Sonic the Hedgehog 4 to the console arcades. Some have given Sega full praise for trying hard in giving their mascot a hand. Some are still in skepticism if whether or not it's all going to all work out in the end. Personally, taking Sonic back to its 2D routes isn't going to save Sonic; it's going to make him look stupid and lazy. 

No Caption Provided
    Now, don't consider the last statement as offensive. What I mean is that Sonic shouldn't be in hopeless maudlin, and backtrack to a type of career that he belongs; he should not give up, and move forward like the other franchises that it competed or worked with. Zelda went to 3D and did its Z-targeting thing. Mario, too, went 3D and did its exploring-open-level, star collecting business. Metroid eventually did the same by going first-person, and still maintaining the gadget finding exploration that its 2D children carried. The series's that we know and love from the past have become a part of the future. (That excludes games that went back to previous routes for good ol' nostalgia, like Other M and Super Mario Bros. Wii/DS.)

Sonic needs to follow suit. Sonic Adventure did what it did, and don't get me wrong, it was great at that; but it would lead to a time when such gameplay would grow dated and unworkable, as what we see as true with the greatest Sonic game of all time:

(insert sarcasm here)
     (insert sarcasm here)
    Yes, yes, I know; after this piece of dog shit suffered undeniable apologies from its creators, Sega finally decided to develop solid products that contain the blue furry that we all know and love and forgive. But those games were still not enough to help Sonic compete with the big competitors. So what was it going to do? Make another failure or mediocre 3D product? Yes, but simultaneously, no. It was going to do what the fans pleaded:

No Caption Provided
    All well and good. It's better than nothing. However, it could be so much more. This move--no melodrama intended--is cowardice in my eyes. The game might turn out good, in fact, better then the 3D games before it. But do you see the lack of risk that Sega is willing to take? In truth: no. Sega already took the risk in trying to modernize its mascot. They're just doing to wrong! They're not realizing the fact that they destroyed their main dude, their universe, their side-characters, and their lore. Sonic is now anime inspired. It's punkish. Its style and tone is redundant and cringe worthy. Its full of bad voice actors, lame epic stories, and a crappy design concept in which every level a record maker. Sonic isn't entirelyabout speed. 

The guy is just an agile, rudely playful dude that's sympathetically cocky by his manners, but intelligently hasty by his planning. Sonic isn't speedy by just movement, but instead, by his (...semi?)humanity. How do I know that such a character should be this way, if it's not one that I have forged? Because that's how Sega made him originally. Not only is the dated design destroying Sonic games, its world and style is assisting its bacterial decomposing. Enough with Amy, Knuckles, that white and black hedgehog, and that fat cat guy that we don't even care about.

SATAM crew
     SATAM crew
    The Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon series is not only one of the greatest cartoons of all time, it's also the greatest realization of the Sonic universe. The concept doesn't involve giant gods that destroy dimensions in a spiraling time cycle--only to predictably get defeated by a furry Super Saiyan. It, instead, involved a small resistance of primitively weak, nature loving furries fighting off a technologically advanced enemy run by a corrupted human named Robotnik, and his whimsy side-man Snively. It's a simple premise that could be thought up by anyone, but the the characters that it supports cannot even be conceived by your article-writing ass. They all seem cute, and carry cartoony flaws that give them a kiddish feel, but the problems at hand and the relationships that they carry give out so much power and realism that even adults will feel attached to such a cutesy bunch. And yet, while scenarios can get darkly serious, the cartoon is still toned lightly enough for kids. This is all done by incredible writing, passion, and cautious thought processing.

This is the way Sonic should be. The games should follow the essence of this cartoon. Since the series was canned at the end of Season 2, all thanks to the Power Rangers, the original cartoon writer should come back and write the whole script for the SATAM game from Season 1 to the unprecedented end. SATAM fans want their unforgotten story to continue, and doing so would also benefit the actual Sonic fans. Let the voice cast make a return in playing their roles from SATAM, just as how the cast from the classic Batman cartoon returned for Arkham Asylum. Let the design not be based on beating time records, but instead let it be some type of open-ended game where you travel across the plains of Green Hill zone, and live safely in the town of Knothole. Try to survive by the use of stealth and tactics when inserted in Robotropolis. Instead of spin dashing your enemies, let Sonic toy with their robotic innards by twisting their heads, dancing around them, or using items from Sonic's backpack that maybe deemed useful.

Do side quests that involve the side episodes that had nothing to do with stopping Robotnik. Help Router find parts to make items and gadgets. Let Dulcy transport you to areas around the very landmass of Mobius. I can spat on about my ideas for such a game, but such a concept would dare happen. Sega is stuck with where Sonic is now, and changing it would probably many the fans even angrier than they are currently. So for all that are out there that have probably read this probably horribly written blog post: What do you think? Is this a good idea? Do you think it's a little too risky? Will it destroy Sonic? Are my ideas vague or tribulate? 

Answer, and thanks for reading. (No seriously, thank you.)
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

open ended could be good but you'd have to be able to go FAST. i agree the old cartoon characters are the best, though i don't mind knuckles and the whole chaos emereld thing (i remember reading old sonic comics with them) but pretty much everything you do should be fast and exhilirating. the only time you stop is when you WANT to or die. when sonic went 3d everything got so clunky.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Synthballs

So...I want 2D running left to right. Yeah?

EDIT: I don't care if you can run around as 874397239 different furried freaks. As long as I can run. Left. To. RIGHT

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Holding down right on the directional pad and occasionally pressing a button to jump is not fun. It is, in fact, the epitome of boring. Sonic suffers from this, as does Metal Slug. These games are from another era, and they cannot hold up today.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Synthballs
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " Holding down right on the directional pad and occasionally pressing a button to jump is not fun. It is, in fact, the epitome of boring. Sonic suffers from this, as does Metal Slug. These games are from another era, and they cannot hold up today. "
    That is bullshit son. Metal Slug XX Is still a fine arse game.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    People seemed to have gotten the idea that Sonic should be all about speed, and that's resulted in games like Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed that have basically no gameplay.  The classic games didn't feature a particularly great amount of speed, there were only a few sections where you were catapaulted through the level moving fast, the rest of the time they focused  on actual platforming.

This was why the original games were good, and it's also why the original Sonic Adventure worked.  Since then fans have been pressuring Sega for "more speed!" and that's exactly what they should be staying away from.

@ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " Holding down right on the directional pad and occasionally pressing a button to jump is not fun. It is, in fact, the epitome of boring. Sonic suffers from this, as does Metal Slug. These games are from another era, and they cannot hold up today. "

I can play through the classic Sonic and Metal Slug games with the same amount of enjoyment I had back in the day.  Perhaps people who weren't around back then would have a harder time, but I still disagree.  The older games hold up, while the Advance/Sonic Heroes/2006, etc, don't.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    People seemed to have gotten the idea that Sonic should be all about speed, and that's resulted in games like Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed that have basically no gameplay.  The classic games didn't feature a particularly great amount of speed, there were only a few sections where you were catapaulted through the level moving fast, the rest of the time they focused  on actual platforming.

This was why the original games were good, and it's also why the original Sonic Adventure worked.  Since then fans have been pressuring Sega for "more speed!" and that's exactly what they should be staying away from.

@ZanzibarBreeze said:

I can play through the classic Sonic and Metal Slug games with the same amount of enjoyment I had back in the day.  Perhaps people who weren't around back then would have a harder time, but I still disagree.  The older games hold up, while the Advance/Sonic Heroes/2006, etc, don't.
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

sonic needs to die

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

I actually found Sonic Unleashed to be quite enjoyable, if just remove the clunky controls and frustration factor.

KaiUnderneath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaiUnderneath

TEHY SHUD PUT ZOMBIEZ INIT!!!!111!!!!!1

DragonRex1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DragonRex1

I disagree on numerous things... like how I actually felt Unleashed was the right step, my only gripe, aside from the Werehog, was the lack of the spin dash. In fact, here are my disagreements with you, please don't take offense. 

1. Super form battles at the end always felt epic, so having them at the final story makes for that epic battle every story should have, no matter how lame or impossible to suspend disbelief it is. 

2. Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver and others are added in for fans to have moer characters to like and I like the idea of more than one hedgehog. 

3. This, I think, will give me numerous hate messages, but I have to say it... 

SATAM is overrated. 

I never saw it as a kid, I didn't even know it existed until before 4kids came along and ruined the voice acting... it just doesn't impress me that much. I'll take Amy, Shadow, Silver and even Big the Cat over Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, and that walrus guy who shouldn't even be IN a forest. 

This is what I feel the games need. 

1. BETTER voice actors... Ryan Drummond, the actor who played Sonic prior to Shadow the Hedgehog, is still my favorite of them all. Jaleel's... sounded a little more annoying. Shadow sounds like he has a sore throat and a cold... Knuckles sounds nothing like a tough guy... Rouge sounds like an old woman... so forth. I'd say either rehire the old cast OR hire new, more credible voice actors. To be fair, I have NOTHING against 4kids... other than their anime dubs. I actually grew up with the 2003 incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the only thing where they actually try rather than simply read their lines. I thought Jason Griffith did a good job as Leonardo Prime in Turtles Forever... yet when he did that same voice for Shadow... it's like it gained balls for Leonardo Prime but lost them when it was back with Shadow.

2. Gameplay like the day stages from Unleashed, only without the boosting in mid air and the spin dash. I liked boosting, but I still prefer the spin dash. 

3. If we need a plot, be simple but at least make it important. Shadow the Hedgehog didn't exactly have the writings of Greg Weisman, but at least it continues the story from where SA 2 left off...

4. If we need to have someone other than Sonic to play as, have similar gameplay to Sonic. I liked Knuckles treasure finding, but HATED the Big stages... Shadow's stages were similar to Sonic's and thats what I was hoping to see in Sonic 2006, but Shadow's controls were too different as he STILL rides those dumb vehicles and can't spin. Silver was the slowest, playing a slow hedgehog is like playing as a plumber who can't use power ups. 

So, I am not saying YOUR OPINIONS SUCK just what I think, even though some might not agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.