Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Souls

Franchise »

Developed by FromSoftware, these games are third-person action RPGs famous for their punishing difficulty.

Which Soul Series has the most amount of good bosses? Bloodborne included

Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Soul Series has the most amount of good bosses? Bloodborne included (161 votes)

Demon Soul 11%
    Dark Souls 29%
    Dark Souls 2 5%
    Dark Souls 3 24%
    Bloodborne 32%

I've only play Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. While Bloodborne is my favorite among them all thanks to it's fast pace combat and weapon transformation, I can't help but think Dark Souls 3 has more number of incredible/good bosses such as Slave Knight Gael, Soul of Cinder, Demon Prince, Sister Friede, Twin Pince and Abyss Watcher. Bloodborne has Orphan of Kos, Ludwig, Lady Maria and Martyr Logarius. Dark Souls has Artorias, Manus, O & S and 4 Kings. So Dark Souls 3 has 6 bosses that I really enjoy.

• 
    Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do keep in mind this is not about which game you like better but rather which game you think has better amount of bosses.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls followed by Demon Souls.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 3 has the most consistent pool of good bosses.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The music in the Bloodborne series really made some of those boss fights fantastic

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MattGiersoni

I voted DS3. All games have some cool designs and enjoyable fights but personally I'd say Bloodborne and DS3 had the most amount of bosses I enjoyed fightning and thought they looked cool. The music and atmosphere of Abyss Watchers is very memorable to me, the slow and full of suspense fight with the Dancer, the arena of the Nameless King plus his backstory. Twin Princes and soul of cinder was cool too. My fav in Bloodborne is probably Ludwig with Lady Maria coming close 2nd.

I dislike the majority of DS2 bosses and it's probably my least liked Soulsborne game The bosses in that game didn't do anything for me. The only ones I think are good are Looking Glass Knight, Alonne, and Demon of Song. It's all of course very subjective.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll reads as people saying which game they like best.

Demon Souls has neat bosses, but rarely good bosses. Most are trivial to beat, or just require you to know a specific thing. All are done better in later entries.

Dark Souls 1 has some good bosses. But also some REALLY BAD bosses. The entire second half of that game was rushed and it shows.

Dark Souls 3 has generally good bosses, with some great bosses. Overall very good. My second or third.

Bloodbourne is generally good bosses, with a few stinkers. But also a few really boring bosses. I'd honestly place it behind Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 is nothing but good/great bosses. The game itself has some issues, but the boss design is not one of them. Very few bosses in DS2 fall down to just "good", almost all are on par with or better then the greats of the rest of the series. It's the most technically minded game, and because of that the boss design shines. You rarely get showy bosses like the other games, but I find the showy bosses tend to be the worst designed anyways so it works out well. I get the feeling a lot of people are just using their baggage of not liking DS2/the internet talk up of not liking DS2 to hate on it's bosses.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that DS2 is in fact the best DS game as well, so I'm probably biased.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The music in the Bloodborne series really made some of those boss fights fantastic

I just wrote "Bloodborne bosses had the best music" and then noticed your comment. Yes, the soundtrack was perfectly suited to each encounter and really got the blood pumping.

With music off, maybe Dark Souls III had some more interesting fight designs, but I had the most memorable moments in Bloodborne.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering I never played bloodbourne or Dark Souls 2, Demons Souls wins by far, I just feel it's bosses were somewhat way more fair, still super tough but if you would just do the combat right you'd be able to best em all in a dignified manner.

Both in Dark Souls 1 and 3 I feel like there are too many bosses that no matter what you do you're going to get hit, so at some point in the fight it just devolves into you desperately swinging your weapon at them hoping they die before you do.

Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crayzor
    @nals said:

That's my concern as well. People ended up voting their favorite game instead of just thinking which boss fight is better.

@csl316 said:
    @frustratedlnc said:

I just wrote "Bloodborne bosses had the best music" and then noticed your comment. Yes, the soundtrack was perfectly suited to each encounter and really got the blood pumping.

With music off, maybe Dark Souls III had some more interesting fight designs, but I had the most memorable moments in Bloodborne.

I agree. If we look at boss fight design/mechanic alone, Dark Souls 3 boss fight mechanic seems more interesting. Lorian teleport, Dancer slow but suspenseful fight, Sister Friede ice and blackflame AOE( I found her harder than Lady Maria), Demon Prince laser/meteor just to name a few are all interesting to deal with.

Bloodborne bosses mostly about physical/swipe attack. Mechanically speaking, it lose to Bloodborne. Dark Souls 1 after O & S(aside from DLC) went downhill. Seth is too easy, Nitto skeletons are annoying, Centipede Demon has terrible arena and don't get me started on Bed of Chaos.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Dks3 or Bloodborne.

Des and Dks1 are too hit-and-miss, and Dks2 bosses are just bland. Mirror Knight was the only really good boss fight I remember in 2.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Dark Souls 3's my least favorite which is largely why it's my least favorite Souls-borne game; I just wasn't a fan of the first then second form style. Their visual design, just as with all other Souls games are as awesome as always though. I actually liked Dark Souls 2's bosses a lot. So, I guess I'm in the minority. All have good bosses (though in three I always look back on with less than fond memories). The soundtrack in all of them also helps a lot (well, again, except for DS3 as to me, it was too operatic and not that memorable.) I should probably go back and play Dark Souls 3 to see if my feelings have changed; maybe get the DLC, but it was by far my least favorite Souls game. Honestly, perhaps my favorite thing in DS3 was just the laughing cathedral evangelist. Going back to Anor Lando was cool too. It's hard for me not to be disappointed by it and say negative things as it just doesn't stack up, but overall it still retains a lot of what makes Souls great, so it's still good.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Dark Souls 2 is practically tied with the original for my favorite in the series, but the bosses are not great. The slug was ridiculously easy. Chariot was the only one I really remember as being interesting.

DS1 was too up and down. S&O are classic, but then you got pinwheel or the final boss. The DLC bosses were freaking fantastic, however.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

DS3 is the most consistently good bosses. Bloodbourne is almost as good but too many of them are easy.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By NeverGameOver

Demon's has my favorite set, if you handicap in its favor for fact that there is no DLC.

Astraea has the best lore out of any Souls boss imo (only one others in contention would be Sif and Artorias), plus that music is exceptional.

Loading Video...

Flamelurker and Maneater are great and challenging. Penetrator is a thrill, if you pure melee him without releasing Biorr (as I did the first time I played through). Old Hero is a rare gimmick boss that I actually enjoyed. Old Monk is a PVP treat

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cannonballbam

@thewildcard: I had the reverse thinking; as several DS3 bosses felt one note.

Admittedly, I believe that The Old Hunters dlc has the best fights in the game. Orphan of Kos, Lady Maria and Ludwig, The Accursed/Holy Blade.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mirror Knight was the only really good boss fight I remember in 2.

The Mirror/Looking Glass Knight is definitely the pinnacle boss design of DSII.

@nals said:

Dark Souls 1 has some good bosses. But also some REALLY BAD bosses. The entire second half of that game was rushed and it shows.

Don't fall for this "THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF" fallacy. DaS has 2 unfinished/bad areas. Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith. That's it.

DS3 or BB probably win because of consistency. The mechanical design of the bosses is only a small part of it for me though. Visual design and backstory are also very important factors.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nals said:

Demon Souls has neat bosses, but rarely good bosses. Most are trivial to beat, or just require you to know a specific thing. All are done better in later entries.

Dark Souls 3 has generally good bosses, with some great bosses. Overall very good. My second or third.

Bloodbourne is generally good bosses, with a few stinkers. But also a few really boring bosses. I'd honestly place it behind Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 is nothing but good/great bosses. The game itself has some issues, but the boss design is not one of them. Very few bosses in DS2 fall down to just "good", almost all are on par with or better then the greats of the rest of the series. It's the most technically minded game, and because of that the boss design shines. You rarely get showy bosses like the other games, but I find the showy bosses tend to be the worst designed anyways so it works out well. I get the feeling a lot of people are just using their baggage of not liking DS2/the internet talk up of not liking DS2 to hate on it's bosses.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that DS2 is in fact the best DS game as well, so I'm probably biased.

To say that Dark Souls 2 is nothing but good/great bosses is some serious rose tinted glasses. There are some good bosses for sure but, there are some really bad bosses. For example:

• The Royal Rat Vanguard: Literally a room full of rats. There is almost no challenge in this fight. You just kill rats until you win.
    • Prowling Magus and Congregation: How someone decided to attach a boss health bar and fog door to this group enemies will always be a mystery. But, they did so its a boss.
    • Mytha, the Baneful Queen: This is the worst one in the entire game. It is surrounded by a pool of poison that you have to either deal with, making it the most annoying fight in the series, or you have to know the nonsense that takes away the poison making the fight incredibly uninteresting.

Once again. there are good fights in the game but, fights like these make it almost impossible to argue that the game is nothing but good/great fights. I would also go as far as to say that the good/great fights are the exception not the rule.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think they got the boss balance just right with Bloodborne. Dark Souls 3 would probably be my 2nd pick, and overall I actually prefer it to BB.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Either Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 had a lot of mediocre boss fights. Dark Souls 3 had a lot of epic boss fights that werent very fun.

They're all great games with good bosses but comparing them all makes the 'bad' boss fights seem worse than they are.

Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like this thread been move to Souls thread. Didn't even know we have a Souls forum for Souls topic in general.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

It's kinda hard to count in my head, but my gut feeling is that 3 probably has the most good bosses? Bloodborne has a lot of good ones but fewer overall, the first game has a small amount and they are a little hit and miss, 2 has a ton of bosses but a lot of them suck and demon's souls has a lot of novelty bosses that are neat once.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 2 has some of the worst bosses in the series. And when they're not mechanically bad, they're uninspired. They seen to have taken design decisions from the Capra Demon fight where "more enemies means it's harder" rather than creating scenarios where the multiple bosses make an interesting dynamic, something they learned for Dark Souls 3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@crayzor said:

Do keep in mind this is not about which game you like better but rather which game you think has better amount of bosses.

By "better amount", it sounds like you mean "which game has the most bosses", and the answer to that is objectively Dark Souls II. It has more bosses than any other Souls game.

But I think you actually mean to say "which Dark Souls game has the best bosses", and my subjective answer to that is Dark Souls III. I has the best level design, II has the best gameplay mechanics, but III takes the cake when it comes to bosses. The vast majority of the bosses in III are fantastic examples of what makes a Dark Souls boss so memorable - design, difficulty, gameplay, moves, and more are all consistently great. Well, mostly great, I think Wolnir kinda sucks, but one stinker hardly ruins the whole lot in this case.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nals: you do realise that this is personal opinion, right? So just because the poll doesn't match up to what you think doesn't mean people arnt reading and answering the question correctly. Once again, I think dark souls has the best bosses followed by Demon Souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.