Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splatoon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 29, 2015

A third-person shooter/platformer hybrid that lets players paint the environment in colored ink and turn into squids to quickly traverse it. Along with a solo adventure and local one-on-one multiplayer, the game's main focus is its 4-on-4 online multiplayer battles.

August 5th Update: Holy Squid!

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fractal_seaweed

You can read all about it over here on Nintendo's website. I'm a little curious as to why they'd give an option for 1v4, 1v2 and such (unless they're going to add some modifiers). And how will this effect leveling/getting coins? I can only imagine that some might abuse this system to help buddies power-level. But... It would kind of suck if you got no rewards for group matches.

There was also that trailer earlier that show-cased a TF2 styled Gatling Gun:

This looks pretty bad-ass.
    This looks pretty bad-ass.

I don't know about you folks but I'm pretty excited about this. I mean, I sort of thought the norm for Splatoon would be small, tiny updates (with maybe a large update at the start of a new season), but damn, I wasn't expecting this so soon! They're (finally!) giving an option to form groups. I mean, there's still no way to communicate with your team-mates (but do you really want to converse with some of those randos?). Say what you will about Nintendo about gating some of the content, but I think it's really helped the longevity of this game. And if they continue to update this (for free!), I'll definitely be sticking to this game for a good long while.

New level cap, new weapons, new items. God damn, this is why I love it when Nintendo works on new properties. So. Who wants to form up a couple of Giant Bomb groups and splat some fools? I usually don't say much in the forums, but none of my buddies have a Wii-U, and I'd love to try to get a few organized games running.

Edit: My nnid is sgt_kawiji

Avatar image for jigsawintospace
    JigsawIntoSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You can add me, my nnid is JigsawIntoSpace, just like my GB username. Anyone reading this thread is welcome to as well. Hope to see y'all online.

fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fractal_seaweed

@jigsawintospace: I'll probably re-edit my original post once folks start signing up here just to collect some user-tags and clean it up a bit. I can't wait to try that damn bucket weapon - it looks ridiculous. Edit: I'm still thinking about how Nintendo has gated a lot of the content (because as it turned out, a lot of the stuff they released was on the disc, I can't remember the source of this info now...). I'm on the fence about it. But I like it: I think it gave them a chance to work on a bigger update while slowly introducing the content to players so they don't get burnt out on it. I mean, multiplayer games are notorious for burn out, eh?

Avatar image for jigsawintospace
    JigsawIntoSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kawiji: Yeah, I definitely find myself burning out after a couple weeks of playing most shooters. When I played starcraft 2 obsessively, I always enjoyed how blizzard would rotate maps per season on the ladder. I'm surprised more games don't try that type of thing. In regards to on disc content, I know kelp dome and bluefin depot were in the single player, so it seems weird that they locked those up for so long. I guess the delayed release method has worked out for them though, and it has definitely kept me coming back, so, they've got at least one sucker.

fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah. Sucker. Get it? 'Cause squids' tentacles have... Anyway. New little update: more music! I'm definitely feelin' this track, it was tweeted out from the Japanese Splatoon twitter account. That's another thing I've loved about this game: the music has been pretty decent. I've been kind of hoping they would add some more music to the new levels.

Loading Video...

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

feel free to add me

id: sawtooth

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.