Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splinter Cell

Franchise »

Tom Clancy's tactical espionage series starring Sam Fisher.

Thoughts on a new Splinter Cell?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Greg

It looks like we're probably getting a new Splinter Cell game.

What are people's thoughts on this? What would you like to see? What would you not like to see? What are you expecting?

Given the way Clancy games have been for the last few years, I can see it being like Wildlands. Taking the casual and fun approach, rather than the serious and tactical. Wildlands was good in its own way, but it did stray from what I liked about the earlier games a little bit.

I would love to see another totally linear Splinter Cell game, in the vein of the first few titles. Either way, I do look forward to seeing more about it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be in for a MGSV take on Splinter Cell open world story based. Sorry Rorie but i still thing Wildlands is a bad game :D. So less Wildlands more MGSV. And i don't think you can sell a old shool splinter cell to the masses anymore. Something like a Sam Fisher get's dropped in The Congo needs to kill some Rebel Leader who's selling Enriched Uranium. So a Far Cry 2 with less Malaria might be a good start.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Greg

@soulcake: I agree, there's no way they'd do it the old way. Got to keep hitting a wider audience. That's my dream though.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Relkin

I want my Splinter Cell serious and tactical. That series has never been a wild romp, and I hope it never becomes that.

I'd like to see them move on from Sam Fisher; the guy is getting old, and Ironsides is even older. I hope we get a good sendoff for that character while we still have him around and working. I don't think that something like Splinter Cell is tied inextricably to that character, and with the change of character they could turn it into something else, if they so desired. I would hope that "something else" is still a stealth game, or at least has some robust stealth options, if it becomes more and more action-focused.

I really don't want Splinter Cell to turn into something like Wildlands. This is one of the very rare cases of a long-running franchises where I genuinely love each entry of the series; I don't want to see any sort of major shift in what Splinter Cell is. At least, not as long as Fisher is still the star.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I loved Blacklist, so if it's more like that, I'm in. If it's gonna be open world, even better, open worlds rule! Would love to see a lot of different weapons and tools, and different paths/ways to eliminate your targets/sneak through.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More of Blacklist but with bigger levels but not open world. Actually put some thought and care into spies vs mercs. A coop campaign that's separate from single player similar to Conviction. Most of all, while I love a lot of Ubisoft open world games, I do not want an open world Splinter Cell

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@soulcake said:

I would be in for a MGSV take on Splinter Cell open world story based. Sorry Rorie but i still thing Wildlands is a bad game :D. So less Wildlands more MGSV. And i don't think you can sell a old shool splinter cell to the masses anymore. Something like a Sam Fisher get's dropped in The Congo needs to kill some Rebel Leader who's selling Enriched Uranium. So a Far Cry 2 with less Malaria might be a good start.

I would probably take this. At least MGSV actually worked as a stealth game, rather than just being an action game with silenced weapons and a sneak button like the last few Splinter Cells.

If it was up to me I'd make it as much like the first game or Chaos Theory as possible. Double Agent was the last one I even remotely enjoyed. To be honest, pretty much all of the Clancy games have gone in directions that I dislike. GRAW was incredible but Wildlands and even Future Soldier has proved that Ghost Recon is no longer about tactical third person combat. Conviction and Blacklist have proved Splinter Cell is now more about gunplay and auto-headshot cool-guy stuff than being a stealth game. At least I enjoyed Siege and The Division...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big open levels in the vein of Hitman, rather than just a sprawling open world. I prefer my playgrounds to be handcrafted. Getting a dozen levels similiar to Hitman's Sapienza would be a dream.

That said, I also wouldn't mind levels that are more narrative-driven, if that'd allow them to craft some cool sequences. Always thought the bit in the first game where you use your thermal vision to check keypads used by the bad guy you're chasing was neat. Not to say that couldn't be done in an open world setting.

A story that I'd care about at all would be kinda great, too. Conviction was ok and I never did play all of Blacklist, but I couldn't have cared less about what was happening in the first three (or was it four...) games, even if Chaos Theory is my favourite entry.

Also what is Amos Tobin doing currently? Need him to do the soundtrack. Or Jesper Kyd.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: I got terrible memories about the first splinter Cell the lack of quick saving on the ps2 the lack of ammo in general, in that game even if you CQC most of the people in that game you still hadn't enough ammo at some point it just ended with me installing a trainer to turn on unlimited ammo to even "enjoy" that game.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

@bollard: I got terrible memories about the first splinter Cell the lack of quick saving on the ps2 the lack of ammo in general, in that game even if you CQC most of the people in that game you still hadn't enough ammo at some point it just ended with me installing a trainer to turn on unlimited ammo to even "enjoy" that game.

The first one is the best one in the series for me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_greg said:
    @soulcake said:

The first one is the best one in the series for me.

Yeah me too. I played it on PC and can't even remember using a gun in it. I miss games that aren't afraid to actually make you play stealthily. Hitman 2016 is the closest I've felt to recreating that experience, but obviously hiding in plain sight is very different from actual stealth gameplay in the shadows.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blacklist was super forgettable and bland. I loved the gameplay of Conviction.

I also want Ironside back. Seems like that may be happening.

lovcol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first one and the third one. Conviction wasn't Splinter Cell in my eyes and I only finished the first mission or so of Blacklist before quitting - don't exactly remember why though. It was too in-between stealth and action maybe?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My favorite stealth game is Chaos Theory, and I would love for Splinter Cell to go back to it's roots a bit more. But I've accepted that it's never going to happen.

I did like Blacklist mostly, as far as modern Splinter Cell it is easily my favorite. If they stick to something along those lines I will be ok with it.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Conviction and to a lesser extent Double Agent are the only really bad Splinter Cell games. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Blacklist, so if it's anything like that then I'm very excited.

Chaos Theory is still one of the best stealth games ever made.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm excited about the possibilities. The first three Splinter Cell games are all incredible, with Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow being especially great. Over the years, though, the games became more third-person shooters and lost a lot of what made the early games so awesome. There's an argument to be made that people aren't interested in a "traditional" methodical stealth game anymore where being detected basically meant death, but I think you can still make a HITMAN style game where it's possible to do a true stealth playthrough or some frantic, Dan-caliber shitshow of incessantly trying to brute force your way out of mistakes. It's a fairly delicate balance, but HITMAN should be their blueprint on a lot of things. If they can make it somewhere between that and the SC games of old, I think they could really have something. Oh, and it definitely needs Ironside. Ubi's actually doing some great stuff lately, so I'm cautiously optimistic?

No Caption Provided

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrunoTheThird

The first three are fascinating, tense games with dope soundtracks (especially Chaos Theory).

Loading Video...

I get the hate, but I have so much patience and enjoy being ultra slow and quiet that I never had trouble making the AI my thrall every single time, which is half the fun. I also love the voice acting, characters, etc. Hearing Dennis Haysbert in both 24 and SC at the same time was so cool to me back in 2004.

Double Agent was decent at the time, but I went back to it recently and it runs like shit. I didn't realize it was kinda boring, also, but I did love sneaking around the JBA members. It was scary.

I genuinely think Conviction is a great game in its own right, but I refuse to call it Splinter Cell, because it isn't. It's just Conviction to me, and that serves it best. It is a Sam Fisher story, and a fine one. The Lincoln Memorial, Third Echelon HQ, and White House missions are really memorable IMO.

Blacklist tweaked that gameplay nicely, but I got bored with it around the three-four hour mark. I should finish it to know where it's at in the ranking, but I expect it'll just sit astride DA in my list as somewhat interesting lesser entries.

So yeah, I'm up for a new one; I probably always will be.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just kind of already assuming it's going to be a Ubisoft Open World game which I don't think will work all that well with Splinter Cell but hopefully I'll be surprised.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love a new Splinter Cell game its always been one of my favorite game series. But i have a feeling that I'm probably not going to like whatever spin they put on it. I don'tn need it to be open world or have 100 side missions.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By BoOzak

I'd be up for a new a new one, I liked most of the Splinter Cell games. I would prefer a linear game but an open world one could work too if it were more like MGS and less like Wildlands. As in enemies with specific routes tailored to each mission and scripted events that occur within missions to keep things interesting, not just a bunch of enemies scattered haphazardly across a barren jungle like setting. (I enjoyed Wildlands, mostly for the co-op, but it wasnt a good stealth game)

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what I can think of off the top of my head

• I'd like to see the customization of Blacklist back and expanded upon.
    • Better writing, with humor akin to Chaos Theory rather than the dull as dirt Blacklist and Conviction writing
    • Interrogations make a comeback
    • Heavier emphasis on stealth
    • Better soundtrack in the vein of Amon Tobin
    • Not opposed to open world format, but I hope they don't turn it into another open world Ubisoft game
    • Better designed map/levels that allow multiple ways of infiltration and exfiltration.
    • Personal hope is that we can get rid of that dumbass karambit and get the old knife back
    cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely adore Chaos Theory, and hope that since they're spending money on Ironside recently they'll perhaps remaster it, thought it's not something Ubi does often. I do like the newer games also, Conviction was decent and had a great co-op mode though the Uplay integration caused some issues for me, and Blacklist really polished those gameplay mechanics and had plenty of content, but in some ways lacked the character of the previous releases... and had no checkpoints in co-op...
    Considering every other franchise Ubi makes is open world i don't think they need to do the same for Splinter Cell, and there are very very few linear games these days so that's the path i think i'd like it to take, bespoke levels carefully designed with unique interactions and obstacles.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:
    @soulcake said:

I would probably take this. At least MGSV actually worked as a stealth game, rather than just being an action game with silenced weapons and a sneak button like the last few Splinter Cells.

If it was up to me I'd make it as much like the first game or Chaos Theory as possible. Double Agent was the last one I even remotely enjoyed. To be honest, pretty much all of the Clancy games have gone in directions that I dislike. GRAW was incredible but Wildlands and even Future Soldier has proved that Ghost Recon is no longer about tactical third person combat. Conviction and Blacklist have proved Splinter Cell is now more about gunplay and auto-headshot cool-guy stuff than being a stealth game. At least I enjoyed Siege and The Division...

Actually if you play Blacklist on perfectionist it removes the auto headshot cool guy stuff, and was praised for pretty much being on par with Chaos Theory style stealth.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've loved every Splinter Cell expect maybe Conviction so I'm basically down for whatever. My only worry is that they'll go too hard in the sandbox direction and turn it into a stealthier version of Wildlands.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This memory may have gotten distorted over time but I feel like the original SC was the first Gamecube game I got. I think my mam came home with the console and just SC and I was so disappointed because all I really wanted was Mario Sunshine but man did I get hooked straight away.

Chaos Theory was the first online multiplayer game I ever played and it took up most of my first year of high school.

Eagerly anticipated Double Agent (the original Xbox version) and still loved it despite the fact that the formula had barely changed through 4 games.

Xmas Day 2005 (2006?) the first game I put into my 360 was Gears followed by Double Agent (360) and the first level with the rain and stuff blew my mind, I remember calling family members in saying "LOOK!".

Long story short I adore each of the first 5 games (including the 2 DA's) and have beat them all at least 3 times, I will say the first 4 are pretty rough to go back to though.

Aaaaand then they went action focused for the next 2 and while they were great games, any OG Splinter Cell will tell you it's not really SC. We'll likely never see those older feeling games again but I'm still excited about possible future installments and overall I would like to see them strike a balance somewhere between DA and Conviction. Also fuck them for getting rid of Ironside, hope rumors of his return are true.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They can remake Conviction, I would love that. Mark and execute, that fucking amazing text in the world and the awesome co-op needs to be released on modern consoles.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Whitestripes09

Chaos Theory is one of my all time favorite games and Conviction is probably one of my all time biggest disappointments. Blacklist was a nice reintroduction, but still a little too shooty for my taste. So the series has a lot to make up for. It seems not a lot of people like slower paced games, but I looooved that shit back in the first three Splinter Cell games and even in Double Agent. It was a different kind of playstyle that just got your heart beat going as you perfectly complete a level without any alarms, no kills, and no one seeing you. But that's not going to fly now because people seem to get pretty aggravated by that type of playstyle.

Obviously, we're never going to get games like those again, but I think there should be some core elements in place. Splinter Cell should always be present to near future tech. Never more than that or else you just feel like a science fiction super soldier that can just mow down armies, which is exactly the opposite of what the game should be like. It should be believable that you're alone with just your limbs, a couple guns, a knife, and a limited amount of gadgets. It's always been a series that is much more grounded in reality where 90% of the time a shoot out means death. So keeping that feeling is important to the identity of Splinter Cell instead of making him an old Jason Bourne/John Wick or a military specialist bad ass. Let's be honest though, it's probably going to be some sort of open world in the same vain as MGSV. Which will probably be cool... but I don't consider that to be very much like Splinter Cell.

Also could we please get night missions back where I have to use night vision goggles the majority of the time? I feel like there are so many different ways they could mess with that reliance on the goggles but they've never actually done much of that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@whitestripes09: I remember that first island area of Chaos Theory (also really loved that game myself, though it's the last in the series that I played) being pretty big. It may not have actually been open world, but it felt substantial in a way that makes me see large open-ended levels fitting with that style of gameplay.

Agreed on the core elements though. Hard stealth, with modern/near future tech.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

If they got David Hayter to voice Sam Fisher, I could see myself getting excited for a Splinter Cell game.

I've only played through Conviction and I would say not being like Conviction would be a start. Also, interesting locales. The environments that come to mind when I think of Splinter Cell are boring.

I feel like being a Tom Clancy's game, they put themselves in a narrative box. If they dropped the TC, it might liberate the writers some how.

But at the end of the day, what they do with stealth is the most important. It's easy for me to say do stealth better but I think they need a unique hook. I don't think it's enough to do standard stealth well, other games just have it beat. So they need some move, some mechanic that opens up need stealth possibilities like a portal gun or something. That'd make the game really easy but I think it would actually create a lot of fun stealth scenarios.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• I'd like to see Michael Ironside back as fisher which is all but confirmed from Ironside himself in recent interviews.
    • An open-world would be cool as long as there is depth. I'd rather have a linear game with lots of depth than an open world that is sparse (I'm looking at you MGSV)
    • I'd like to see and even mix of hardcore stealth and action together. Unlike a lot of other fans, I really enjoyed the more recent action-oriented games in the series but I still love me some stealth as well so I'd love to see a good mix over the length of the game. Not everything needs to be sneaky, sometimes you just need to fuck shit up and shoot some motherfuckers in the face.
    • I might be crazy, but I wouldn't mind some light RPG mechanics, think of a more competent Alpha Protocol. We need more cloak & dagger spy games, and I think Splinter Cell as a series would be a perfect fit. Conversations. Dialog trees. Branching paths. That sort of thing.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31 chaser324  Moderator

Blacklist is extremely good, so I'd love to see another followup to that game.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Blackout62

Give me Michael Ironside or give me death!

Also my crazy idea is that this Splinter Cell is when Ubisoft decides to unify all their properties. What I'm saying is have Sam Fisher join the Assassins and then probably find some way to loop in Watch_Dogs, Far Cry, and The Crew.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me Michael Ironside or give me death!

Also my crazy idea is that this Splinter Cell is when Ubisoft decides to unify all their properties. What I'm say is have Sam Fisher join the Assassins and then probably find some way to loop in Watch_Dogs, Far Cry, and The Crew.

Yes to Ironside, best drunk sounding actor ever!!!!

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shinofkod

@chaser324: Totally this. I waited years to get around to Blacklist and when I did I was amazed at how great it was. Easily my favorite game in the franchise now. So disappointed we didn't get anything at E3. Here's hoping for next year.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe we got no Splinter Cell news at E3. Watched the whole Ubi conference, hoping for it.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_greg: From what I remember, it seems like almost everything Ubi showed was out within the next 12 months. That could mean the next Splinter Cell is in development but not releasing until 2020.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Greg

@meteora3255: Yea, you're probably right. In fairness, we were given a lot to look forward to at this E3, across the board.

I don't think I need another game to add to my list...

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

@the_greg said:

@meteora3255: Yea, you're probably right. In fairness, we were given a lot to look forward to at this E3, across the board.

I don't think I need another game to add to my list...

I don't know, personally there wasn't much i found interest in maybe under a handful of titles. So a new SC game would have been appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.