Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

'Splosion Man

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 22, 2009

A 2.5D side-scrolling action-platformer from Twisted Pixel featuring a military experiment gone wrong, resulting in a molten man who can ’splode at will!

My Own Summer (Shove It?) of Arcade!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

I've always stuck to retail discs.  It's nice to hold a product that you own in your hands, they happen to be shiny (thus distracting as Hell), and they are usually the games that we WANT WANT WANT!  I've stayed away from purchasing XBL Arcade games for two reasons:  ownership issues (not a big fan of not having a copy for myself) and the fact that I play on an Xbox at my workplace...which leaves any points I don't spend vulnerable to kids who might decide to buy that new World at War map pack.  Instead of buying a regular game at around $50 this past week, however, I went for a 4000 points card and decided to get in on some Arcade action!  I had quite the time trying to decide on what to purchase, going to the point of starting up a thread to hear what YOU guys thought I should dig into.  So, here at my decisions and a little mini-review for each of them:

• 'Splosion Man - This was the game that made me decide on buying points in the first place.  There's been a lot of hype around Giant Bomb for the game, and I've gotta say I wasn't disappointed!  'Splosion Man goes back to the old 2D side-scrolling puzzle platforming style that...well...it felt like an absolutey insane version of Prince of Persia at times...just in terms of "platform the fuck out of this puzzle".  I do have a few issues with the game, such as how steep the difficulty curve ramps up after the first area of the game (there are three areas with a total of 50 levels).  There's also a handful of trial and error portions that just frustrated the Hell out of me and made me question the accessibility of the game.  On the bright side, the game is seriously challenging in its own way...and it's completely bonkers.  Imagine if Freakazoid and Bonkers had kids, then those kids were raised by the Animaniacs.  It's kind of like that.  Great game overall, and I highly recommend it for 800 points.
    • The Maw - Since I was getting 'Splosion Man, I decided to try out TwistedPixel's other game.  It's cute like a Pixar movie, it's not very complex to grasp, but it's still a lot of fun and quite relaxing.  There's something inherently awesome...dare I say MAWsome for the use of an overdone pun...about a giant blob with sharp, nashy teeth looking to eat everything it can.  I haven't beaten it yet, like I have with 'Splosion Man, but I've enjoyed my time with it and I'm in no rush.  I like the relaxation that it offers.
    • Bionic Commando Rearmed - I loved the original Commando and Bionic Commando.  I also loved the new Bionic Commando.  Therefore, it only seemed logical that I would love Rearmed.  Guess what?  I do...but the feeling is a bit stilted at times.  Everything I could've hoped for is present:  excellent music, excellent graphics, 2D perspective, "Rad" Spencer, and a whole slew of awesome platforming to swing your way through.  However, it's something that I KNOW I've played before because I can feel it, and it just makes me yearn to play the original all over again.  Either way, it's an excellent update that I suggest to everyone.
    • Castle Crashers - It was a difficult decision for me to make:  1200 points for a game by The Behemoth plus a 400 point classic game...or grab two games for 800 points each like Mega Man 9 and Castlevania: SOTN.  Well, folks...I haven't played a good old fashioned beat-em-up in a long while, so Castle Crashers won out in this battle to the death!  So far, I'm loving it.  There's enough challenge to keep me coming back, the RPG elements are a nice touch, and even playing through the same level some twenty times doesn't get old.  I think a lot of that has to do with the amazing art style that Dan Paladin has, but it's also a simple fact of easy-to-grasp gameplay wrapped around a real crazy game idea.  I will say that I was surprised by the Abandoned Mill level, though.  O_O
    • Doom - Seriously, who doesn't love some Doom fragging fun?  The single player is just like I remembered it being:  fun and addictive.  The graphics obviously haven't aged well, and it's a bit awkward in this day and age of FPS gaming to not have the option of looking up or down with your controller, but it goes to show how tight of a game that id Software made all those years ago.  If we could only get Ultimate Doom thrown onto the Arcade, I'd be in Heaven!  I haven't tried the online for the game yet, and I'm almost positive that it'll be dead, but I still want to check it out.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchases, and it's led me to wanting more.  I'll be picking up another 4,000 points for the release of Shadow Complex and the Red Faction DLC coming the week of August 10th.

I want to thank everyone that posted in my thread asking for some game-buying advice.  Most of the community should know that I don't care much for it when people say "OH WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY"...but I was at such a loss because of all the amazing games.  Sometimes, in my indecision, I need to talk things out with other people to finally get to a point of saying "yes I will buy that thank you good night".

Until next time, piece!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

I've always stuck to retail discs.  It's nice to hold a product that you own in your hands, they happen to be shiny (thus distracting as Hell), and they are usually the games that we WANT WANT WANT!  I've stayed away from purchasing XBL Arcade games for two reasons:  ownership issues (not a big fan of not having a copy for myself) and the fact that I play on an Xbox at my workplace...which leaves any points I don't spend vulnerable to kids who might decide to buy that new World at War map pack.  Instead of buying a regular game at around $50 this past week, however, I went for a 4000 points card and decided to get in on some Arcade action!  I had quite the time trying to decide on what to purchase, going to the point of starting up a thread to hear what YOU guys thought I should dig into.  So, here at my decisions and a little mini-review for each of them:

• 'Splosion Man - This was the game that made me decide on buying points in the first place.  There's been a lot of hype around Giant Bomb for the game, and I've gotta say I wasn't disappointed!  'Splosion Man goes back to the old 2D side-scrolling puzzle platforming style that...well...it felt like an absolutey insane version of Prince of Persia at times...just in terms of "platform the fuck out of this puzzle".  I do have a few issues with the game, such as how steep the difficulty curve ramps up after the first area of the game (there are three areas with a total of 50 levels).  There's also a handful of trial and error portions that just frustrated the Hell out of me and made me question the accessibility of the game.  On the bright side, the game is seriously challenging in its own way...and it's completely bonkers.  Imagine if Freakazoid and Bonkers had kids, then those kids were raised by the Animaniacs.  It's kind of like that.  Great game overall, and I highly recommend it for 800 points.
    • The Maw - Since I was getting 'Splosion Man, I decided to try out TwistedPixel's other game.  It's cute like a Pixar movie, it's not very complex to grasp, but it's still a lot of fun and quite relaxing.  There's something inherently awesome...dare I say MAWsome for the use of an overdone pun...about a giant blob with sharp, nashy teeth looking to eat everything it can.  I haven't beaten it yet, like I have with 'Splosion Man, but I've enjoyed my time with it and I'm in no rush.  I like the relaxation that it offers.
    • Bionic Commando Rearmed - I loved the original Commando and Bionic Commando.  I also loved the new Bionic Commando.  Therefore, it only seemed logical that I would love Rearmed.  Guess what?  I do...but the feeling is a bit stilted at times.  Everything I could've hoped for is present:  excellent music, excellent graphics, 2D perspective, "Rad" Spencer, and a whole slew of awesome platforming to swing your way through.  However, it's something that I KNOW I've played before because I can feel it, and it just makes me yearn to play the original all over again.  Either way, it's an excellent update that I suggest to everyone.
    • Castle Crashers - It was a difficult decision for me to make:  1200 points for a game by The Behemoth plus a 400 point classic game...or grab two games for 800 points each like Mega Man 9 and Castlevania: SOTN.  Well, folks...I haven't played a good old fashioned beat-em-up in a long while, so Castle Crashers won out in this battle to the death!  So far, I'm loving it.  There's enough challenge to keep me coming back, the RPG elements are a nice touch, and even playing through the same level some twenty times doesn't get old.  I think a lot of that has to do with the amazing art style that Dan Paladin has, but it's also a simple fact of easy-to-grasp gameplay wrapped around a real crazy game idea.  I will say that I was surprised by the Abandoned Mill level, though.  O_O
    • Doom - Seriously, who doesn't love some Doom fragging fun?  The single player is just like I remembered it being:  fun and addictive.  The graphics obviously haven't aged well, and it's a bit awkward in this day and age of FPS gaming to not have the option of looking up or down with your controller, but it goes to show how tight of a game that id Software made all those years ago.  If we could only get Ultimate Doom thrown onto the Arcade, I'd be in Heaven!  I haven't tried the online for the game yet, and I'm almost positive that it'll be dead, but I still want to check it out.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchases, and it's led me to wanting more.  I'll be picking up another 4,000 points for the release of Shadow Complex and the Red Faction DLC coming the week of August 10th.

I want to thank everyone that posted in my thread asking for some game-buying advice.  Most of the community should know that I don't care much for it when people say "OH WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY"...but I was at such a loss because of all the amazing games.  Sometimes, in my indecision, I need to talk things out with other people to finally get to a point of saying "yes I will buy that thank you good night".

Until next time, piece!
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

Once I feel like I can afford it, I'll get some more points and pick up Splosion Man and The Maw because I really like what I've seen and heard of each. Cool stuff man. I guess you're getting more points so you can break 40k!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    I disapprove of this post for two reasons:
    1. AFI references make my bowels leak.
    2. You chose Castle Crashers over Symphony of the Night.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @Arkthemaniac: I disapprove of your comment for two reasons:
    1. You don't know your bands very well.
    2. I'll end up getting SOTN with the next batch of points, as I took someone's advice in the thread I had made and decided not to burn myself out on that style of game before the release of Shadow Complex.
    YOU FAIL!  At the same time, I'm very disappointed in you for not knowing your bands.  Why the FUCK would I reference AFI?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    @jakob187:

Sorry, my mistake. I haven't heard enough Deftones to properly approve or disapprove your comment.

My apologies. And I'm glad that we agree that referencing AFI is lame.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
    @Arkthemaniac: I dig any Deftones that is Around the Fur and earlier.  Their later work sounds far too much like Chino needs to stop being a whiny ass pussy bitch and grow some fucking balls again...rather than getting wasted and showing everyone his balls on stage.  I dig a couple songs on White Pony, but overall, I still think people overrate the FUCK out of that album.

I need to find my copy of Around The Fur again...  =  /  Guess I'll have to make a trip to Best Buy tomorrow.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

castle crashers was the shit 

me and my friend played it to death

RED KNIGHT FTW!!!!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @ZombieHunter: I started with the Red Knight.  Pretty fun.  Big question that I have is this:  how much of a difference is there between the different knights?  I haven't played with the others yet, so I'm kind of curious.  Is there a different kind of magic between all of them?
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Jambones
    @jakob187: Any interest in waiting for the upcoming Shadow Complex?

Good purchases, although I tried replaying Doom after all these years and got entirely too frustrated with the controls. They were spoiled for me the moment you could use a mouse in FPSs I think.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StarFoxA

Hey! I have Castle Crashers! And Doom!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @jakob187 said:
    " @ZombieHunter: I started with the Red Knight.  Pretty fun.  Big question that I have is this:  how much of a difference is there between the different knights?  I haven't played with the others yet, so I'm kind of curious.  Is there a different kind of magic between all of them? "
    yeah there all different in there magic

Red guy has the lightning: as your magic grows you can hold the magic button down and zap a guy for like 30 seconds
    Green guy: has poison which does the obvious{ my friend was such a dick with this, he would just poison me and run away}
    Blue Guy: he can freeze people which is really handy
    orange guy: lights people on fire but i never really use him so i dont know if its a damage per second thing

the red guy was my favourite when me and my friend would duel for the princesses i would only have to catch him once with my lightining and i would win....
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Fuck yeah to Doom!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

I was thinking about starting to pick up some arcade games. I might consider those.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @ZombieHunter: So I should be putting points into my magic spell power and such?  I haven't really touched that at all because I typically play most games with that brute-force-in-your-face melee style.

@Jambones said:
    " @jakob187: Any interest in waiting for the upcoming Shadow Complex? Good purchases, although I tried replaying Doom after all these years and got entirely too frustrated with the controls. They were spoiled for me the moment you could use a mouse in FPSs I think. "
    Shadow Complex is a definite buy.  That and 'Splosion Man is what has me interested.  I'm not saying I wasn't interested before...but they are finally coming out with the kinds of games that I'd like to see coming out.

@StarFoxA said:
    " Hey! I have Castle Crashers! And Doom! "
    So you do, sir...so when you get that RRoD off your 360...it looks like we'll have a lot of multiplayer to catch up on.  You're going to have to share multiplayer time with BigVic nowadays, though.  = D
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

The NIN My Own Summer Remix is almost as badass as the original.

All of those games are definitely awesome. I haven't played many arcade games at all lately so I'm gonna wait for Shadow Complex to come out and just buy a crap load of arcade games at the same time to keep me occupied for the back end of my Summer vacation (TMNT is gonna be awesome!).

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By guiseppe

I didn't read this but it made me listen to the song reference, so you have my thumbs up.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @jakob187 said:
    " @ZombieHunter: So I should be putting points into my magic spell power and such?  I haven't really touched that at all because I typically play most games with that brute-force-in-your-face melee style.

Umm Yeah its worth it, but theres nothing wrong with the in your face brute force style either it just the lightning is fantastic at mob control,

also i found that if you use the lightning you level up quicker because in castle crashers you dont level from kills you level from how many hits you land on your enemies 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I know its a given, but if you haven't tried castle crashers co-op, do it!  It's really fun, seeing all the different magic types and playing styles work together is really neat. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @ZombieHunter: Yeah, I've noticed the leveling system and how it works.  Very nifty.  I love seeing "level up" on games, so it's a welcome change.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @lilarchie232 said:
    " I know its a given, but if you haven't tried castle crashers co-op, do it!  It's really fun, seeing all the different magic types and playing styles work together is really neat.  "
    me and my friend started playing again 

hes using the ice and im still using my Lightning guy it works really well together, he freeze them in place then i walk up and Shock them 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@ZombieHunter said:
    " @lilarchie232 said:
    " I know its a given, but if you haven't tried castle crashers co-op, do it!  It's really fun, seeing all the different magic types and playing styles work together is really neat.  "
    me and my friend started playing again 

hes using the ice and im still using my Lightning guy it works really well together, he freeze them in place then i walk up and Shock them 
    "
    Ahah that's exactly what me and my friend did.  We had a blast, great game, and good decision on picking that over Mega Man and SOTN.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187

I feel like I need to post this for everyone who hasn't played this game yet.  Hopefully, this will sell it for you.  I'm dedicating this to Metroid545.  = D

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Tireyo

Looks like you made some nice choices.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By raddevon

The feeling I get when I complete a really tough section of 'Splosion Man is incredible. It's as if everything is happening so fast that I can barely track it with my eyes, but I'm somehow managing to bang out the explosions just in time. The satisfaction and sense of accomplishment is most akin to the feeling of solving the puzzles in Portal. It's odd that there have been a lot of comparisons between this and Portal considering the games seem so different on the surface.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.