Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Are Square-Enix just Stupid or retarded?

• 105 results
    Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Dom

Aeris does deserve a better looking schwacking 

CronoXtream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By CronoXtream
    @Rawrz said:
    " why give the fans what they want when the fans will buy anything they give them anyways? "
    this
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Astras said:
    Do they not realise that they are sitting on a complete cash cow. Why cant they just listen to what (a huge crowd) people want...
    A huge crowd? or a somwhat small but  very vocal one?

That's the question that's in my mind.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By Yummylee

Remake FFVIII instead...with a completely different battle system. That draw system was just....*vomits*

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I don't get all the Final Fantasy 7 fanboys.  I love the game but it is far from the greatest game ever made. Or even the best Final Fantasy game ever. Before you yell at me I never played 6, but I would have to say my favorite in the series is either 13 or 9.  If you want to hate me more I loved FF X-2.  I would rather SquareEnix devote their energy into making a NextGen Dragon Warriors/Quest (I don't know and I don't care) game or  Final Fantasy 15 (I think 14 is suppose to be another shitty MMO).  
    You fanboys got your horrible movie and 2 awful spin-off games so be happy.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Lawrens

They said it'd take 10times longer than ff13 to remake FF7. HD towns are tough work.

It really sound kind of like they don't have what it takes to make a ff7 quality game while keeping all the cinematics and VA, I guess I could understand that judging from the direction they're taking now. Toriyama said it himself, he doesn't want npcs to be standing there reading out background stories, either fire that guy or do it like ff13, put everything in datalog and just focus on corridors and cinematics. I don't see them remaking ff7 anytime soon, or it'd just like they said, it'll take them a million years or it would be another ff13.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By toowalrus

There was an old hotspot episode, where a guy called in with you're exact logic of "they should do it, because people would buy it." It was awesome how they shot down the caller, unanimously said they SHOULDN'T do it, and that phrase became a running joke for months.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By Brendan

The real question is, if FF fans always complain about Squeenix being stuck in the past, why do they clamour for another remake that would have to meet impossible expectations anyway? 
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Supermarius

they should probably do it, and people would buy it. Who cares if its a "bad" idea. This is the late 2000's. Many of the biggest selling games ARE bad ideas.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By HandsomeDead

They're Japanese so both.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By Bones8677
    @lucas_kelly: It wouldn't take 10 years, any competent developer can push that thing out in 3-4 years.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By MikkaQ

Probably because remaking a game like that is stupid. Like what part of the story will be better told with new graphics? Or the combat? 

It just seems pointless. Plus, the cost of making a game like that would exceed what they make. FF7 is near and dear to a lot of people gaming in the late 90s, but it didn't have any real mainstream appeal. Nor does it now. Why make a bloated-ass RPG, when you can just keep publishing stuff like Just Cause 2 that can be made at a much faster pace, and rake in a lot more money. 

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By tranquilchaos

Instead of retreading an old game, why not move forward and try to create something fresh of high quality? Perhaps it's rather telling that after all the "improvements" to the series, people still clamor for an older title. 

Personally, I think FF6 is the pinnacle of the series and I am more than content with the SNES cart.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kashif1
    @Astras: no you are both dumb and retarded,  heres an article explaining why.
    insults aside, i played it for the first time last year, a remake would be nice but isn't needed.
    also

No Caption Provided
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By kashif1
    @Astras: insulting you was a tad immature, but seriously a remake is not what that game needs.
    harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By harinosho
    @Supermarius said:
    " they should probably do it, and people would buy it. Who cares if its a "bad" idea. This is the late 2000's. Many of the biggest selling games ARE bad ideas. "
    late 2000's? wouldnt 2989 be late 2000's?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MikkaQ
    @harinosho:  

Yeah it's more like the early 2010s 

EDIT: AWW DUDE! I can't wait till we can start calling the next decades "the twenties" or "the sixties" or whatever. 
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By RichardLOlson

The correct title would be, "Is Square-Enix just stupid or retarded?"........there is not "Are"...that just doesn't sound right.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Supermarius
    @harinosho said:
    " @Supermarius said:
    " they should probably do it, and people would buy it. Who cares if its a "bad" idea. This is the late 2000's. Many of the biggest selling games ARE bad ideas. "
    late 2000's? wouldnt 2989 be late 2000's? "
    Well, "late 00's" sounds weird too and is not really something people would say out loud. How do you pronounce it? Late ooooohs? Late Aughties?  I try not to write anything on a forum that couldnt or wouldn't be said in normal conversation.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By EliasT
    @XenoNick said:
    " There doesn't need to be a remake "
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @RichardLOlson: OP could be British.  American English treats collective nouns as grammatically singular.  I think British English treats them as grammatically plural.
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Iceman2913

no there should only be a remake when there going bankrupt

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#73  Edited By Astras
    @Garden_Ninja said:
    " @RichardLOlson: OP could be British.  American English treats collective nouns as grammatically singular.  I think British English treats them as grammatically plural. "
    Yep, British here. I find it funny that some people still mistake forum chatter for a grammar and spelling test arena though.

@Iceman2913 said:
    " no there should only be a remake when there going bankrupt "

Really? You think that the game will be any good when it's developed when they're going bankrupt. 

@tranquilchaos said:
    " Instead of retreading an old game, why not move forward and try to create something fresh of high quality? Perhaps it's rather telling that after all the "improvements" to the series, people still clamor for an older title.  Personally, I think FF6 is the pinnacle of the series and I am more than content with the SNES cart. "

Final Fantasy 6 is an awesome title and I have replayed it recently.. there is a demand for 7 though. With Dirge of Cerburus and the Zack PSP title and Advent children.. don't you think though that the franchise needs to do a remake NOW while it's still kind of hot in it's second cycle. Nobody will care at all in another 5 years.
    The money that they invested in the new Final fantasy 7 games product also shows that they value the franchise still.

@XII_Sniper said:
    " Probably because remaking a game like that is stupid. Like what part of the story will be better told with new graphics? Or the combat?    It just seems pointless. Plus, the cost of making a game like that would exceed what they make. FF7 is near and dear to a lot of people gaming in the late 90s, but it didn't have any real mainstream appeal. Nor does it now. Why make a bloated-ass RPG, when you can just keep publishing stuff like Just Cause 2 that can be made at a much faster pace, and rake in a lot more money.  "

I hear you... but I guess that means that games such as Fallout 3 or Oblivion.. should never have been created then?? Fallout using lore etc from previous games.. and Oblivion has been an evolution of the same engine dating back to games such as Arena and Daggerfall.
    Didn't have mainstream appeal?? huh, really?? It basically was responsible at one point for basically selling PSX's. Doesn't have now.. okay.. name a single episode from a long running franchise that has been so popular that it has spawned many other spinoffs such as Advent children, Dirge of Cerburus etc etc...
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#74  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @grossblood said:
    " name 3 remakes to this level that have satisfied fans. "
    Shadow Dragon, Dragon Quest IV, REmake.
    Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By Astras
    @kashif1 said:
    " @Astras: no you are both dumb and retarded,  heres an article explaining why.
    insults aside, i played it for the first time last year, a remake would be nice but isn't needed.
    also

No Caption Provided
    "
    Lol, just read the article and basically you have told me nothing I didn't already know. AND?
    Yes designing modern games is a challenge, that's why game designers take a feasibility study on what they want from a game before the implementation stage, have a quick evaluation of the resources required / environments/ man hours etc... then see if it's possible to  actually create the game or what sacrifices need to be met in terms of graphics and mechanics. 

Fixed camera positions are not the end of the world, I would love to see a world map as a seperate entity to the other game environments... FF10 to me killed the illusion of exploration by getting rid of the world map concept, introducing a radar with clear borders around the environment and pushing for a linear to the game.

I just think it could be possible to make it a truly great game export in style from 2 console generations ago into the modern era.. if only they had the courage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 7 was awesome!!! Cloud is such a bad ass that he has a gang bang with a bunch of guys to secure pretty panties in an attempt to seduce some gang leader in to wanting to have sex with him.  Can't wait to play that scene in 1080i HD with voice acting and surround sound.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Deus Ex 3 is much more interesting than any FF7 remake. "
    I concur. 
    MrDragon59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MrDragon59

I don't know, is they?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By kashif1
    @Astras said:
    " @kashif1 said:
    " @Astras: no you are both dumb and retarded,  heres an article explaining why.
    also

No Caption Provided
    "
    Lol, just read the article and basically you have told me nothing I didn't already know. AND? Yes designing modern games is a challenge, that's why game designers take a feasibility study on what they want from a game before the implementation stage, have a quick evaluation of the resources required / environments/ man hours etc... then see if it's possible to  actually create the game or what sacrifices need to be met in terms of graphics and mechanics.  Fixed camera positions are not the end of the world, I would love to see a world map as a seperate entity to the other game environments... FF10 to me killed the illusion of exploration by getting rid of the world map concept, introducing a radar with clear borders around the environment and pushing for a linear to the game.    I just think it could be possible to make it a truly great game export in style from 2 console generations ago into the modern era.. if only they had the courage.  "

did you read it, its not that its a matter of courage, its a matter of it being to expensive to make.   it would be like the spirits within again but worse.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By kashif1
    @bartok said:
    " Final Fantasy 7 was awesome!!! Cloud is such a bad ass that he has a gang bang with a bunch of guys to secure pretty panties in an attempt to seduce some gang leader in to wanting to have sex with him.  Can't wait to play that scene in 1080i HD with voice acting and surround sound. "
    on second thought, yes i want a remake
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By LiquidPrince

Final Fantasy XIII was great, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I was going to say something along the lines "you are stupid and retarded" but I thought that would make me sound like 90% of the internet so I'll say "why does it need a remake, It wasn't THAT great of a game."

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Deus Ex 3 is much more interesting than any FF7 remake. "
    I concur.  "
    You know what's more interesting than both of those things? Epic Mickey. What do any of these thigns have to do with each other?
    Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Why_So_Serious

The better question would be, where is KH3? Screw FF7 I want a freaking non-handheld KH game.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By kashif1
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @grossblood said:
    " name 3 remakes to this level that have satisfied fans. "
    Shadow Dragon, Dragon Quest IV, REmake. "
    people complained that shadow dragon's side characters were uninteresting, i dont know much about dragon quest, and there is a group of fans who say the like RE more than REmake
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @kashif1: 

People still consider Shadow Dragon good, Dragon Quest IV improved a lot, and how about I just throw in FF4 on the DS?
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By subject2change

Here is an idea, quit  caring about graphics and play FFVII on your PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSP. A remake is going to do NO GOOD and ultimately ruin a fantastic game. Why aren't people wanting a OoT remake this badly?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember how people hate movie remakes unless it happens to be called John Carpenter's The Thing ?  

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By phantomzxro

why are we talking about this if they plan to remake ff7 it won't be anytime soon, think of it as there ace in the hole. When everyone starts to lose interest in square-enix then they will bring it out.
    icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By icyroy05
    @Subject2Change said:
    " Here is an idea, quit  caring about graphics and play FFVII on your PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSP. A remake is going to do NO GOOD and ultimately ruin a fantastic game. Why aren't people wanting a OoT remake this badly? "
    Pretty much this. If the original is so great, why even have a remake?

It's not like FF7 is super rare with it being on PSN.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By bibledoctor
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Final Fantasy XIII was great, so I don't know what you're complaining about. "
    I agree with this statement, it was long and in some cases infuriating. But I ended up enjoying myself at the end. Maybe it was sheer relief that I had completed that marathon of a game, maybe it was the ending. Either way, I enjoyed myself in the end.
    Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Devilkas

I'd be more drawn to a PS3 FF4 remake.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93  Edited By demontium

I think you accidentally put 'Square-Enix' when you meant to put 'Astras'

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Astras: i would not buy it i hated ff7
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95  Edited By vidiot

I'm holding myself back from unleashing a torrent of words, so I'll keep it short.

I strongly doubt costs have anything to do with Square remaking Final Fantasy VII.

Square needs dramatic rearrangement of the way they manage and develop games. Period. The internal politics of this company seem so toxic and uninviting, it's almost palpable. Projects are delayed indefinitely for years with the final result not in-tandem with the amount of time making it. There's a laundry list of public statements that defy reason and logic, unless you bought hook-line-and-sinker their statement of HD towns being hard to make: a proclamation I'm sure anyone working at RockStar would love to hear. Or subsequently, any development team working for Square that have made towns in their games, this generation. Voiced NPC dialog is too expensive? I'm sure Bioware would love to use that as an excuse. Give me a break. Unless this project has a cutscene for every-time you spoke to anyone. (WHY?!) Cutting costs while keeping a high quality product is easy to do if you have the right tools, good managers and the know-how. Seeing how haphazard and unpredictable Square is with their game development, who knows if they have those qualities. Creation of their own universal multi-console game engine is a step in the right direction, if not a decade late to the party. 

Problems remaking Final Fantasy VII are not technically exclusive. 
    Specifically the games underlying mechanics would most certainly be messed with to compliment the visual make-over. This is a concept I'm sure wouldn't sit well with everyone. I strongly doubt any remake would just be a visual over-haul. 

There are many reasons why a remake, full remake or simple touch-up, would be great besides the obvious "it would sell like crazy". I would love to see an official re-translation (There is a PC mod re-translation project, but I haven't checked it's progress in a while.), the original script for Final Fantasy VII was horrid. It could obviously, for better or worse, tie into the compilation. It's also straight up: a solid game. It's easily ready for some type of update that's more than just an emulation job. Shit, just add another dungeon with recolored higher difficulty enemies like the countless re-releases you have done for every Final Fantasy game aside from the Playstation era. Toss trophies or achievements on-top. Do something. These PSN emulated releases are fun, and make a good quick buck, but they can't do anything better than emulation? -_-

Retarded? Stupid? Neither. Although, I defiantly cast my vote for "out-of-touch".

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By kashif1
    @icyroy05 said:
    " @Subject2Change said:
    " Here is an idea, quit  caring about graphics and play FFVII on your PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSP. A remake is going to do NO GOOD and ultimately ruin a fantastic game. Why aren't people wanting a OoT remake this badly? "
    Pretty much this. If the original is so great, why even have a remake? It's not like FF7 is super rare with it being on PSN. "
    we dont want an oot remake this badly because there is one

@Video_Game_King:
    on the subject of dragon quest, i heard the amount of grinding in those games is crazy, i hate excessive grinding, should i bother
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @kashif1: 

Not really, but then again, it is old school. Still, the stories in these games make it worth it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By iamjohn

I cannot think of a game that gets more undue love that Final Fantasy fucking VII.  It was terrible at the time, and its even more terrible now that we're not blinded by fancy graphics and CG.

icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By icyroy05
    @kashif1: Except that there isn't one available to the public, and it's not even finished yet. There are re-releases, not remakes.
    x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By x_XJules

Pfffftttt... EFFFFFF VII. 

REMAKE VI. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.