Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Squaresoft

Company »

Square was a Japanese video game company most famous for the creation of the Final Fantasy franchise. They merged with Enix to become Square Enix in 2003.

Can The Old Squaresoft Magic Ever Come Back?

• 86 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#51  Edited By Hailinel
    @auspiciousqueue said:
    " A lot of what everyone is saying seems to be what I feel, with the exception of someone saying FF12 was good, because that is just plain asinine. Could they be taking a page from the Disney handbook on horrible business practices? "
    Why do you say that?
    Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By auspiciousqueue
    @Hailinel:  The part about FF12 being worse than being hit in the head with a bag of quarters or SE continually remaking versions of the same stuff and making half-attempts at getting back to the "Golden Age"?
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By BabyChooChoo

No.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Gabriel
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Why the fuck am I reading about Libya oh my thread about Squaresoft?! What does Libya gave to do with jrpgs?! Stay in topic with this thrard "
    There you go, next Square Enix JRPG is about an group of Japanese Teenagers trying to liberate Libya.  

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Hailinel
    @auspiciousqueue said:
    " @Hailinel:  The part about FF12 being worse than being hit in the head with a bag of quarters or SE continually remaking versions of the same stuff and making half-attempts at getting back to the "Golden Age"? "
    You were incredibly dismissive of FFXII without giving any real reason as to why.
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Gilsham
    @auspiciousqueue said:

" A lot of what everyone is saying seems to be what I feel, with the exception of someone saying FF12 was good, because that is just plain asinine.

just because someone likes something you don't doesn't make them wrong -.-, people play FF for different reasons I play them because of the battle systems hence X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, Last Reminant, and Tatics are some of my favorite games as they did really interesting things with the combat and job systems; I would be playing FFXIV or even FFXI more if I had people that also wanted to play as those, they are real MMO's as they require you to actually play with others not solo everything till end game where you have to try and get into a guild without anyone knowing who you are (this is especial bad in WoW now with the dungeon finder)
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FateOfNever

I doubt it.  The main reason being that the old squaresoft magic, to me, was that pretty much ANY title with their name on it was well done (I say pretty much because I'm sure I'm forgetting some horrible title or two that they made).  If Nomura can deliver on versus 13, all that does is mean that HE helped make a great game through his team and his ideas, not that Square Enix has gotten back in the groove of making sure every single title they put out is something people should, and want to, check out.  X-2 was poorly received, 12 was divisive, 13 was divisive, and 14 was, and still is, a horrible mess.  So even if Vs 13 makes an impressive showing, they still have a lot of work to do to prove themselves again as a company and Nomura can't do that alone, since when he succeeds and the rest of Square fails, all that's happened is Nomura has shown that he's good and the rest of the company is in big trouble.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cornman89 said:
    " There's no shortage of talented developers out there. If Square isn't doing it for you anymore, find something else. "
    You wouldn't be upset that your favorite developer growing up isn't even the same company?  Wouldn't you want them to get back into the light?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By ryanwho
    @gilsham said:

" @shadowknight508: 
     The Last Remnant  and Nier both say hi "

If TLR for PC allowed for mods, oh man, it could have been great. A few small tweaks here and there could have evened out the battle system so you're not digg grinding for money. I'm all for discouraging people from exp grinding and I love giant battles and I love ridiculous amounts of optional bosses. They should give that shit another shot, honestly. But the fact is, the initial console game had shit programming and awful load times stacked on top of a frustrating difficulty curve, they sent it out to die to reinforce their business model of remaking shit and tying everything they do to the FF name. Cus they suck now.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By Cornman89
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Cornman89 said:
    " There's no shortage of talented developers out there. If Square isn't doing it for you anymore, find something else. "
    You wouldn't be upset that your favorite developer growing up isn't even the same company?  Wouldn't you want them to get back into the light? "
    Square was my favorite developer growing up, too. Then they started making games I didn't enjoy. I, in response, started playing different games. Simple as that.

Seriously, if Square isn't serving your interests anymore, they are not worth a single second of your time. Move on, like I did. Throw off the yoke from your weary neck.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By kashif1
    @KaosAngel: play birth by sleep and then tell me the magic is gone
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#62  Edited By Icemael
    @Hailinel: Dude, don't even bother with him. He did the same "I've already backed my claims about Japanese video games up in the past" thing with me a while back, and I couldn't even remember talking to the guy before that point, much less having an involved discussion where he in detail explained why Japanese games suck.
    blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By blueaniman93

I can say that I really liked Final Fantasy 6 and 7 as well as kingdom hearts 
    i did not like ff13 though

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KaosAngel
    @kashif1: BBS sucks, and I own the FInal Mix of it.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Faint
    @Laketown said:
    " @Sayishere said:
    " i want   nobuo uematsu  do the soundtrack for the next final fantasy game :( "
    Hamauzu's soundtrack for 13 was one of the best parts of that game so :P "
    This. Hamauzu's music for games including FFX, FFXIII and Musashi Samurai Legend is fantastic. Uematsu's work is brilliant too of course, but having another fantastically talented musical composer (who I think might have already left the company after XIII) is great
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Faint: But Yoko Shimomura already out paced both of them with what she's been doing with Versus XIII, and she doesn't work for Square.  She's just freelance.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Faint: But Yoko Shimomura already out paced both of them with what she's been doing with Versus XIII, and she doesn't work for Square.  She's just freelance. "
    Musical taste is subjective.  Hamauzu does his own thing separate from Shimomura.  More than one talented musician can compose game soundtracks for Square Enix.

Also, in my opinion, Birth By Sleep is rad.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Icemael said:
    " I say they never had any magic to begin with.

Now the Enix magic, that's something I want to see come back. Where's ActRaiser 3? Where's a Valkyrie Profile sequel that actually improves on the first one? Where's a modern Star Ocean game that can actually compete with the modern Tales games? "
    Actually, just forget ActRaiser 2 ever happened.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By chrissedoff

nop

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By Sooty

I'm not that bothered, Atlus are all the JRPGs I need. 

If I want to be bored to sleep, I'll put Final Fantasy XIII on. Thanks Square.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Fascism

I cant remember if chrono trigger and the snes ff games are good or if i just thought they were because i was in 6th grade when I played them, i enjoyed ff9 that much i remember.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope Versus XIII turns out great.  i havent played Birth By Sleep yet.  considering what people have been saying about the game, i think ill get it when the price drops for it. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#73  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nope. I'm not a huge fan of what Square puts out to begin with (but I will easily concede Final Fantasy V and VI to be some of my favorite games), and nothing they have done in the past 10 years suggests anything other than the fact that they will continue down this dark path of rehashing old stuff while taking agonizingly long amounts of time to release the new. Oddly enough? I thought the Vs XIII trailer was kind of cool, right up until I discovered it was going to play like Kingdom Hearts.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By JazGalaxy

I don't know why people think that  FInal Fantasy 7 is good but somehow the games after that aren't. Every terrible decision that is present in the later games in the series was just as present in Final Fantasy 7. 

Personally, I think that Square made a decision to become a different company and to turn FF into a different game. If you ask people what they love about FF1-6 it would be strategy, customization, exploration, music, etc. If you ask people what they love about Final Fantasy 7-13, it would be characters, costumes, graphics, story, music, etc. 

I think square made a decision to make Final Fantasy a style over substance franchise, and that's why it is failing now. People are sick of the style. Especially since, as graphics get better and better designers are forced to make more detail-based decisions that alienate more and more people. NObody was going to get turned off by Locke's clothes, or voice but legions of people are turned off by Tidus clothes and voice. 

I think the only way square could make a comeback is to start over wtih games that focus on gameplay instead of graphics. You could fight several battles in FF1 in the time it takes to fight one battle in FF7. They need to find what about the game is supposed to be fun, and double down on THAT, eliminating everything that is not.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#75  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sup bitches,  

Always the best way to start a conversation. 

As a distant observer of Square/Square Enix and all that they've done, I'd say they've definitely lost a lot of good rep. I honestly don't see any Japanese developers doing anything mindblowing any time soon. It'll be a while at the least before they make a return to form. Or maybe they'll never get back to their prior status.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Brendan
    @Hailinel: Dude, I'm not for you or against you, but you got to stop always being the guy to fight these battles and just let stuff go.  I rarely see you post without it being an argument for Japanese games for several pages, and although I don't think it's necessarily your fault, it's never going to go anywhere when someone makes 5 word comments like "The Japanese industry is shit!"  You'll just keep putting up year end blogs where the most dissapointing thing of 20XX is "You", and that's just depressing.   

If you want an accurate summary for all the comments you're going to see for basically the rest of your existence, it's "Japanese games (specifically RPG's) are akin to PC gaming, meaning that although they are both nowhere near dead (which is ludicrous) it's no longer the 90's and they are at not the top of the pile anymore due to increased competition and changing North American market tastes.  Big games that sell well will still come out for both of them and they will still have plenty of fans but the golden days of the Japanese/PC industry will probably remain as memories for the majority of N.A. gamers for the forseeable future.  In place of curse words I will only remark that I myself have moved on to other games and am no longer interested."

Just pretend that's what people are saying every time someone raises your intellectual ire and save yourself the stress.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @JJWeatherman said:
    "

Sup bitches,  

Always the best way to start a conversation.  As a distant observer of Square/Square Enix and all that they've done, I'd say they've definitely lost a lot of good rep. I honestly don't see any Japanese developers doing anything mindblowing any time soon. It'll be a while at the least before they make a return to form. Or maybe they'll never get back to their prior status. "
    In Japan they're finding that fewer and fewer people are even playing videogames so... it's possible the hobby just never really quite recovers. Japanese game-makers are definitely having a problem making games that western gamers enjoy. 

Again, I blame the progression of technology and the obsession with graphics. Japanese games just don't localize as well as they used to and it's getting way to easy for Americans to pick up on how bizarre (to us) Japanese motion capture and culture affects they're portrayal of games.
    SycoMantis91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By SycoMantis91

@Animasta said:

FF12 was the best final fantasy, by the way. FFX was terrible and FFX-2 was superior. Just so you know... and I would disagree, I think FF8 and FF9 are pretty bad, for different reasons (FF9's battles take WAY TOO FUCKING LONG and FF8's story and dialogue is just groan worthy oh and FF8's battle system was broken as all hell)

I can't go through the rest of the comments without addressing this. XII is horrible, even worse than XIII. VIII is great though among the weaker of the first ten. And IX and X are up there with the likes of VI competing for the title of "Best Final Fantasy fucking ever"

SycoMantis91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SycoMantis91

I don't think this is simply about Final Fantasy, though that's obviously something they've thoroughly driven into the ground and we all used to adore. But they made so many great games otherwise. The Chrono series, Xenogears, Super Mario RPG, Rad Racer, Romancing SaGa, Mana, Breath of Fire, Bahamut Lagoon (great Japan-only release), Tobal, Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, The Bouncer (yes, I thought it was great), Kingdom Hearts (obviously), among others.

They created so many amazing games spanning so many genres. All of that, is just gone now. And in its place, we get Michael Bay animes.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By kerse

I doubt it, they won't please long time fans modernizing and they won't please newcomers with the old style of jrpgs. I still enjoyed 13 but yeah I don't think it will ever be as big as it was, but I hope it will get great again.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kindgineer

Square Soft was fantastic at making games for the their times, but things change and I wouldn't expect a company to just revolutionize the way it does things. Eventually someone will come along that will please both crowds, and 10-20 years later we'll be sad they aren't keeping up.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Ducksworth

I guess we're bringing this thread back to life?

Anyway, Monolith Soft took a chunk of the Square magic but then they decided Xenosaga was a good idea and in the process ended up loosing a good portion of the magic they had. The lost magic was picked up by people like Level-5 along the way, Monolith had to mix their remaining Square Magic with magic Nintendo gave them.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By laserbolts

I doubt it most people are pretty much over JRPGs at this point. I guess the souls games are JRPGs? Besides those I can't think of any I've enjoyed since FF9.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By sonicrift

Their new stuff may not be very good, but they do have a massive back catalogue that is widely available on multiple platforms for relatively low prices. Say what you will about FFIV's multiple releases, but anyone who wants to play that game pretty much can.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Gaff

Well, I guess this thread lives to discuss another day...

I'll just be blunt: the old Square magic is dead and should stay dead. The writing was new and epic then; now it's grown stale and long-winded. Random encounters were necessary to work around the platforms' limitations; now they feel antiquated and jarring.
    Square (and Japanese developers in general) need to let go of the past and try redefine the JRPG, and not try to perpetuate the cliche that a JRPG has become: an obtuse, plodding juggernaut with a mishmash of acronym laden battle systems, cliche ridden plots and terrible stereotypes.

And fire Nomura. Seriously fire him. Get some fresh blood in. Fire him.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#86  Edited By JasonR86

It's easy to say 'yes' or 'no' but I'm not even sure anymore what made the old square games so special. They really need to sit down and think about why the market reacted the way they did to the games that they used to make and see why they reacted that way. I think they thought it had to do with the way it looked or staying to older Japanese game design and story conventions but, as we have seen, that isn't really the case. So what was it? I don't know myself but they people there need to figure that out before they make more games.

...that probably won't happen though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.