Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

153 drop points? Who cares when they all look the same?

zaphoduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zaphoduk

SSX Tricky was awesome. Fair enough it only had a handful of courses vs the new game but they went for quality not quantity. You had pinball levels, Central park levels, Tokyo levels etc. What does the new game offer? Mountain level in Alps, mountain level in New Zealand, mountain level somewhere else. They all look bland and generic and lack the style of the original games. The fun was learning shortcuts and trick areas in the minimal courses available, who's going to remember every detail of 153 different runs? I was hyped for this game but now am somewhat dissappointed. Even the racing looked rubbish. If i remember rightly, in Tricky you could push your opponents and knock them over. In this new one it appears your opponents are just ghosts so it's essentially reduced to a time trial not an interactive race. They've also focused too much on the Autolog stuff i feel. This feature is only any good when you have a number of people on your friend list buying the same game. All of my friends have radically different tastes in games and it's really only AAA titles where more than 2 or 3 people on my friend list own the same game. Amped 3 proved you can do a game like this and have a decent single player experience. An ideal game would have been SSX Tricky gameplay tacked onto Amped 3 story mode. Instead they've gone for a sort of semi-realistic setting ala Shaun White, with exagerated physics and move sets. SSX was an EA Sports Big title, which historically was all out bonkers, they seem to have forgotten that philosophy. This was going to be a day one purchase for me, now i'm not so sure.

zaphoduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zaphoduk

Formatting seems to have messed up, i had put paragraph breaks in my previous post, i promise, but they aren't showing up :-)

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Alexandruxx

You are blinded by nostalgia. Even if most drops look the same, there will still be more unique drops then all combined on Tricky.

Also, Amped 3 is remembered for it's funny bits. The game itself was merely okay (in my opinion it's thought of as good because it was a launch title and it looked graphically better then older snowboarding games).

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@zaphoduk said:

Even the racing looked rubbish. If i remember rightly, in Tricky you could push your opponents and knock them over. In this new one it appears your opponents are just ghosts so it's essentially reduced to a time trial not an interactive race.

As stated in the quick look, in the single player mode there will be collision. When racing against a friends time there won't be for obvious reasons.

zaphoduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zaphoduk

@Alexandruxx "You are blinded by nostalgia. Even if most drops look the same, there will still be more unique drops then all combined on Tricky." Give me variety and quality of generic quantity every day. I'm not saying i want SSX Tricky from years back, i want a 2012 SSX Tricky "Also, Amped 3 is remembered for it's funny bits. The game itself was merely okay (in my opinion it's thought of as good because it was a launch title and it looked graphically better then older snowboarding games)." Again, i'm not saying i want Amped 3 gameplay, i'm saying i want SSX gameplay with Amped 3 story mode, that's the best of both worlds.

zaphoduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zaphoduk

Grrr.....damn this brouser and it's stupid lack of formatting and paragraphing :-(

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ftomato

I really wish there were some crazy tracks, as I loved Tricky, but it looks like the 153 drop points are definitely varied enough. Am still hyped.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By kindgineer

The game hasn't released yet so give it a chance first before you talk about it not being the game you want it to be. It sounds to me like someone who was a huge Quake fan criticizing Gears of War when it first released as a pointless game, when we all know how that turned out.

zaphoduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaphoduk

I agree re: waiting for the game to be released to see what it's like, but my excitement has decreased after this quick look. As for your other comment, Gears was not a sequel to Quake so that's not really a relevant comparrison.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

You've seen all 153 drop points?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@StarvingGamer said:

You've seen all 153 drop points?

This. I was beginning to think along the same lines. Until at the end of the QL they demoed the really hard level on the tip of the mountain ridge. There are still surprises to be seen yo.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CaLe

I don't think they all look the same.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iPliskin

Spot on!.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DAFTPUNK

I'm just going to play SSX3.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnrealDP

It's snow, do you expect it to change color or something? It's not like you're going to start snowboarding in the goddamn jungle or take a helicopter to the moon.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blueduck

@ccampb89 said:

The game hasn't released yet so give it a chance first before you talk about it not being the game you want it to be. It sounds to me like someone who was a huge Quake fan criticizing Gears of War when it first released as a pointless game, when we all know how that turned out.

What? Gears of War is nothing like Quake. How would being a fan of Quake have anything to do with being a fan of Gears of War?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mesoian
    @zaphoduk said:
    @Alexandruxx "You are blinded by nostalgia. Even if most drops look the same, there will still be more unique drops then all combined on Tricky." Give me variety and quality of generic quantity every day. I'm not saying i want SSX Tricky from years back, i want a 2012 SSX Tricky "Also, Amped 3 is remembered for it's funny bits. The game itself was merely okay (in my opinion it's thought of as good because it was a launch title and it looked graphically better then older snowboarding games)." Again, i'm not saying i want Amped 3 gameplay, i'm saying i want SSX gameplay with Amped 3 story mode, that's the best of both worlds.
    I think you may be jumping the gun here. I understand where you're coming from, one of the biggest caviats this game has for me personally at this point is that, while it's over the top and crazy, it still takes itself a little too seriously. Everyone's using very specialized "realistic" gear, the personalities of each character seems restricted to shouts while dropping from a ramp and such. The style of the game seems very reserved for your type of play telling the story, which is....kind of a bummer, but not that big of a deal. I guess it's the fighting game analogy. No fighting game NEEDS a story mode if the game is well put together. But, as we saw with MK9, if it has a good story mode, it certainly doesn't hurt. We'll have to see what happens, but remember, SSX:On Tour had a pretty story driven single player that was GARBAGE. Sometimes it's better to just let the gameplay speak for itself.

During the IGN live cast, I asked them about this and they seemed oddly cagey about it all. While I doubt we'll get SSX3 style city courses, we definitely haven't been shown everything this game has to offer yet. It sounds like, as times goes on and as you level up, things are only going to get more and more insane. So while we might not see an "epic ranged bikini top of the sacred oak", or massive bleachers filled with spectators, this game looks like it's going to have something special planned. 

Though if they wanted to throw in some SSX3 and SSXT drops in as DLC, I wouldn't mind that either.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mesoian
    @UnrealDP said:

It's snow, do you expect it to change color or something? It's not like you're going to start snowboarding in the goddamn jungle or take a helicopter to the moon.

It could...it did in SSX3 and it was fine. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if, when you reach level 20 or whatever the max level is, something insane unlocks like snowboarding in the desert or something. This game has a TON of personality, a little craziness, even if hidden initially, goes a long way.
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By VoshiNova

I think it's pretty black/white what the OP is saying; assuming that the game follows suit with what they have been saying about it - there will be a whole lot o' mountains, and very little (if not no) "not mountain courses."

Which sucks....but we're probably all going to buy it, so I assume the developer will take that as a thumbs up.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UnrealDP

@Mesoian said:

@UnrealDP said:

It could...it did in SSX3 and it was fine. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if, when you reach level 20 or whatever the max level is, something insane unlocks like snowboarding in the desert or something. This game has a TON of personality, a little craziness, even if hidden initially, goes a long way.

Yeah, I agree, but you don't fault the game if it doesn't have that type of craziness, I mean, it's not an expected thing that leads to disappointment if not it's not present. It's like expecting your new car to come with a tape deck and a best of Bob Marley mixtape.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ftomato

@UnrealDP said:

SSX Tricky had a track where you raced inside a gigantic pinball machine, and a track where you raced in a snowed out city - including on rooftops and jumping through glass into one of the floors. I don't even remember the other craziness, but it was there.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ventilaator

@Alexandruxx said:

You are blinded by nostalgia. Even if most drops look the same, there will still be more unique drops then all combined on Tricky.

Like fuck there will. Tokyo Megaplex alone is more unique than the total content of the new SSX combined, and this is coming from a guy who is really hyped for the new SSX.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bloodlines

I love SSX 3 but I don't want this to be SSX 3 and it's not luckily. If you want more of the old games play them instead.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iPliskin

This is a post i made earlier in another thread: "Exactly, no Mercury City Meltdown or any other wild courses, just endless mountains, it simply gets boring after a while. I'm not interested either. The first SSX is still the best(never played tricky tho, played 3 and that travesty On Tour), remember going down that iceberg in Hawaii? it was a full course, awesome track!.".

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueduck

@Bloodlines said:

I love SSX 3 but I don't want this to be SSX 3 and it's not luckily. If you want more of the old games play them instead.

Just going by the quick look I would say this looks like a bigger blander ssx3. I really want this game to be good though and the online stuff looks awesome.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By UnrealDP

@FTomato said:

@UnrealDP said:

SSX Tricky had a track where you raced inside a gigantic pinball machine, and a track where you raced in a snowed out city - including on rooftops and jumping through glass into one of the floors. I don't even remember the other craziness, but it was there.

Yeah, but there's a reason why they've been touting their real life mountain tech, they're not after crazy cityscapes or pinball machines. This game was called deadly descents for a reason, they've been trying to keep it strictly mountains and semi-realism, at a point, mountains are mountains. What else did you expect? Within the confines of mountains, SSX has done a great job (from what I've seen) creating cool, diverse locales and then some.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ftomato

@UnrealDP: I'd prefer craziness like in Tricky. The physics and tricks in SSX are so absurd that there's no reason for tracks that look like real mountains. However, as I said in page 1, I'm still hyped about this game and I'll probably pick it up day 1 and enjoy it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UnrealDP

@FTomato said:

@UnrealDP: I'd prefer craziness like in Tricky. The physics and tricks in SSX are so absurd that there's no reason for tracks that look like real mountains. However, as I said in page 1, I'm still hyped about this game and I'll probably pick it up day 1 and enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a specific taste, but Tricky craziness isn't what their going for, or at least I think. SSX isn't even out yet and in that quick look EX there was a level called "Zombies with jetpacks", so who knows, yeah?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaphoduk: Just so you don't worry about not having friends for the autolog stuff, it will give you updates on people that aren't even on your friends list and you could (if you wanted to) send a stranger an invite straight from the game. That way you could have some people to compete against. IF they follow the autolog stuff even closer then it will probably give you friend recommendations.

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alexandruxx

@Ventilaator: Oh sorry your Lordship, I didn't know you already played thru the entire game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Personally I've always been more about the lines and structure of the tracks then the paint job they put on them. As long as tricks are big and the runs ride good I'm good.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dogma

Everyone that complains wants another game, they want they game from 10 years ago in a new dress. BUT here is the thing. Does that mean that SSX will be bad? Do someone honestly feel like this SSX is a bad game? I applaud them doing some different. We allways tout and whine how conservative game making get's but here are some truly new stuff and it's get's critizised for it just because "it's not SSX how I remember it". Stuff need to elvolve and change. it's good. The Quick Look impressed the hell out of me and I am no SSX fan. I like the new ideas. I think it's unfair to judge it based on something it never had the pretence to be. You don't have to buy it, that's your choice but does that make it bad? Not really.

Also. If the game had only 4-6 courses then it would get slammed because of that instead, probably more. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jack268

Compare Patagonia to the Alps to Alaska to Africa from the footage we've seen so far. They look nothing alike.

In SSX3, once you've gone down the same peak 3-4 times you've already seen it all. You can literally have seen all the content the game has to offer in like 4 hours.

And the reason the enemies are ghosts in the videos we've seen so far is because they haven't shown any actual multiplayer footage so far.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187

I loved Tricky, but one of my biggest problems with the game was the very enclosed tracks that it had. The part I liked about that game was the speed, the tricks, and the general craziness of everything that was happening.

SSX 3, if anything, is the pinnacle of the franchise. It was where they took this idea of racing from the first game and tricks from the second game, married them, and then put it on big open places with tons of routes and shortcuts like you would find in a Battlefield map. It's exactly what I personally wanted from an SSX game.

They tried going back to a more Tricky-style with some of the games after SSX 3 (on Tour comes to mind), and it didn't work as well.

As for the "they all look the same" thing, I think that's an excuse that people will use because it's not SSX Tricky and that makes them butt-hurt. Everything I've seen of the different areas, much like in SSX 3, looks different and varied. I think you'd either have to be blind or just a flat-out hater in order to say that they are all the same.

I don't know - maybe I just look for different things in my SSX games than others do. I honestly think the only game I've fallen in love with from the franchise is SSX 3. Tricky was great, but it was still too restrained for me.

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By notha

@UnrealDP said:

it's SSX so yes, yes I do.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By BoG

When it comes to snowboard games, I want one thing, and one thing only: Utah. If they don't represent my home, home of the greatest snow on earth, they lose. I guess The Rocky Mountains count for SSX.

Plus, SSX 3 (the best entry in the series to this point) was probably the least wacky. Watching the trailers for this new game, it appears to be on the same level. A combination of the majesty of being on the mountain slopes, and the wildness of video games. I think that it far superior to a pinball level. Of course, if I ever need that majesty, it's only 20 minutes away. Be jealous!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By buzz_killington

Judging from the QuickLook, the tracks might not be visually that different, but there is quite a bit of variety when it comes to their design.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikeGosot

Nobody cares if they look the same if they all look awesome.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainCody

I'm still hyped as shit for this game. Yet, it definitely feels like they're missing the opportunity to make the greatest extreme sports game ever. I can't even fathom how much I would shit my pants if this game gave an insane arcade vibe that is never present in games that take themselves too seriously anymore.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By MachoFantastico

I much prefer the way the new SSX is going about it with courses, don't get me wrong I loved Tricky to death but with the way the physics system works you can use pretty much use any environmental feature as a jump. I think it's a different challenge, if you want to get the highest scores you have to be creative with how you go about the course. The dude playing in the quick look showed that exactly, jumping off all sorts to earn points. I'm pretty sure once the game as been out a while we will see recommendations for the perfect way down a course for ultimate points videos and such, finding all that out seems rather fun to me.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bwheeeler

So, what is everyone arguing about? How much we're going to like this game that doesn't come out for another month?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@bwheeeler: You just described every thread on every gaming website ever.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By MEATBALL

@VoshiNova said:

I think it's pretty black/white what the OP is saying; assuming that the game follows suit with what they have been saying about it - there will be a whole lot o' mountains, and very little (if not no) "not mountain courses."

Which sucks....but we're probably all going to buy it, so I assume the developer will take that as a thumbs up.

It seems to me that they've been doing a pretty good job taking on board the criticisms of the series' fans, so hopefully it will sell well enough for EA to justify a sequel and people will make enough noise about wanting a little less realism and a bit more variation in the character and course design.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BBQBram

I'm sorry but this game is more of an extension of SSX3's design philosophies as opposed to Tricky (while the marketing might suggest otherwise), so yeah big open mountains (but hundreds instead of one) will do fine, don't need gimmicky "crazy shit" courses. I'm already breakdancing in the air, don't need to stray from actual mountain slopes - let's at least keep some aesthetic tie to actual snowboarding in there.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BlatantNinja23

As long as it's fun, it could have one run on one mountain for all I care

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JCGamer

While Tricky was fun, I think the best game of the series was SSX 3--and this game seems more in line with 3 than Tricky. 3 had more of an open world like feel and was set on peaks like this new version seems to be doing. I don't think (at least me) anyone complained about lack of variety in 3, and I doubt the variety will be lacking in this new one.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I borrow your time machine?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.