Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

How freaky is this game?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

How scary is this game? It seems perfect for me, I love games like Fallout 3, so Pripiyats, open world, Janky shooting, even deeper RPG mechanics and crazy locations should be a ton of fun.

But I hate being freaked out in videogames. I jump every time a Creeper explodes in Minecraft.  Are there any particularly creepy moments in this game? ive heard the Stalker games are known for their creepy settings/atmospheres, but I wanted to check.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

It can be creepy. Not as creepy as Shadow of Chernobyl, but there are definitely tense moments when you have to go up against bloodsuckers. I don't know, I'd say it's perfectly manageable. SoC was scary, Pripyat isn't really.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Pripyat has the best mutant AI of the series which provides for some real "I have to be on my guard or I'm fucked" moments. Bloodsuckers, snorks, and chimera can mess you up real quick if you let them get the drop on you like those fucking awful Minecraft enemies. There's some platform style fear-of-making-the-wrong-step scariness when tracking down artifacts in anomalies.

As for creepiness, yes there's plenty of that in the fog or at night when visibility is low. The dogs, flesh, and boars now roam in packs and like to group up on you; so you'll get immediately uneasy once you hear their sound effects, but not know whether or not you should just ignore it since they're generally weak one-on-one. Firefights at pitch night also cause uneasiness since you can only see enemy locations by their muzzle flashes or during lightning storms.

I think it's more creepy than SoC, personally. And Amnesia was a snore-fest.

edit: Oh and the environmental sound effects from the Complete mods really add to the creepiness in the atmosphere. There's this one howl/scream sound that gives me goosebumps every time, even though I know there are no enemies in that game that make it. The less you know what to expect, the creepier the game is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.