Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Mission Accomplished

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem

So Star Citizen reached the $2 million goal to fund the game and it's currently at $2.4 million closing in on 2.5 (which will add an additional ship) with 20 days left. At $3 million they would add Privateer-like gameplay which sounds pretty cool to me...

Anyway, did you expect to see it happen so fast? I honestly didn't (at least not before they added Kickstarter).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

It's not a big surprise, especially after seeing so many game writers I respected for their critical eye suddenly lose any semblance of common sense when talking about this game.

While I'm still convinced this game is doomed to failure, I hope I'm wrong for the sake of all the people who put their money in.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

@StarvingGamer said:

While I'm still convinced this game is doomed to failure

What makes you say that?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

@BeachThunder: It's a matter of scale. The fact that they think they can get 10x the features and content of other games with similar budgets makes me believe that the people behind the wheel are a bit out of touch with reality.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emem
    @StarvingGamer: I don't know, the game will cost between 12 and 14 million (so probably 10 from private investors)... that's a lot of money. 
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

@StarvingGamer said:

@BeachThunder: It's a matter of scale. The fact that they think they can get 10x the features and content of other games with similar budgets makes me believe that the people behind the wheel are a bit out of touch with reality.

Maybe they are looking for a loss-lead launch here. With the way online/DLC works, it would be no surprise to me that they want to throttle this thing out and let post-launch purchases pay their way to financial victory. Time will tell I suppose.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yeah, not surprised at all this made it. It'll probably break 3 if not more when time runs up. Like I'm pretty skeptical everything will come true, but we're right on time for something like this to (finally) work out. Sci Fi games and PC games have been hinting at this type of monstrosity for years, and you couldn't ask for a more appropriate developer than Chris Roberts.

If this game is 1/2 or even 1/4 of its promises it'll be fucking amazing, that's what we should all keep in mind.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By selbie

Exactly. Even if the persistent world component fails, at least we will finally have a AAA space combat game with multiplayer servers and mods to play in the coming years.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Silver-Streak

Man, I'm getting excited. They're on track to beat the 5m mark. New Freelancer hope is alive.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Etnos

This project sems to be so ouuut of a reasonable scope (at least with that budget). I hope them the best thou.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By nights

@Etnos said:

This project sems to be so ouuut of a reasonable scope (at least with that budget). I hope them the best thou.

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know how much he's going to receive from investors? The crowdsourcing is just to get the investors on board.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Etnos

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@Etnos said:

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know how much he's going to receive from investors? The crowdsourcing is just to get the investors on board.

Do you honestly think this game is going to have the profit to cover for a serious AAA investment? Kickstarter are a tricky thing, they appeal to a very specific market.

As I said, I wish them the best I have no reason not to. However, that doesn't change the fact: they are stretching their luck a bit to much, This is not just me saying it. Experience investors know about numbers, they have done this before... that is probably why they didn't invest in it before to begin with.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emem
    @Etnos said:

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@Etnos said:

Do you honestly think this game is going to have the profit to cover for a serious AAA investment? Kickstarter are a tricky thing, they appeal to a very specific market.

As I said, I wish them the best I have no reason not to. However, that doesn't change the fact: they are stretching their luck a bit to much, This is not just me saying it. Experience investors know about numbers, they have done this before... that is probably why they didn't invest in it before to begin with.

The game is supposed to cost between 12 and 14 million. Considering their stretch goal list, which goes up to 5 million, it's quite likely that they will get around 10 million from investors. I'm just guessing, though. 

I think that there is no way to know whether the game has the potential to become an AAA title or not. And of course they needed to raise the 2 million to convince their investors to... well, invest. It's understandable looking at the track record of space sims.  

We are all just speculating here and it seems very likely that they already got their big investors on board, after reaching their funding goal, otherwise they would have had to ask for way more money. They clearly (hopefully) would not have asked for less than they need, right? Well, we will find out sooner or later.
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a feeling Chris was expecting a much bigger response than he got, this is what worries me most. doublefine was pitching a complete game at 500k so everything after seemed like pure bonus on a very solid foundation, star citizen on the other hand isn't truly complete till 5mil, a hefty sum to ask of a pretty niche following that has survived on nostalgia for over 10 years.

I am positive this game will be made, it'll be a solid single player game but it wont mark the space sim/combat revival i was hoping for. The world moved on, I am sure most gamers see these games as real boring and i question whether i would feel the same if i didn't have this overwhelming sense of nostalgia. welp, maybe when im dead and we land on mars.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

@masterpaperlink: You're right. Space sims are closer to dying right now than Point & Click Adventure games. The only other game I'm following is X Rebirth. In today's article Patrick didn't mention Star Citizen among the Kickstarter projects he regards as worthwhile.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@StarvingGamer said:

Was thinking that too, it's a little too ambitious for me to believe. Infinity is the space "sim" I am most looking forward to right now, whenever that comes out anyway.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

What's the fundamental thing that is making people think twice about investing into this? Usually having ambition is something we like about software developers?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emem
    @Funkydupe said:

@masterpaperlink: You're right. Space sims are closer to dying right now than Point & Click Adventure games. The only other game I'm following is X Rebirth. In today's article Patrick didn't mention Star Citizen among the Kickstarter projects he regards as worthwhile.

Well, it's not worthwhile in his opinion (or he forgot about it, no idea), but he is just one person. Everyone is guessing about those Kickstarter games anyway, even the mighty Project Eternity could go down as the biggest Kickstarter failure in history... we will see what happens in a few years. :) 

Edit: Star Citizen is closing in on $3 million... thank god they added Kickstarter otherwise it would have been incredibly hard to eaven reach the $2 million mark.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

3 mill reached. Yes Kickstarter does really help in that people feel it is more secure.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emem
    @Funkydupe said:

3 mill reached. Yes Kickstarter does really help in that people feel it is more secure.

Yep, I actually thought about posting some more stuff and keeping the thread up to date, but people don't seem to care much about it on GB. Hopefully they will in 1-2 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.