Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

The Final Push

• 99 results
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By onarum
    @emem said:
    @onarum said:
    I'm kinda worried about having the carrier playable though, it will get to a point, when the game is out for a while, where everyone will have a fucking carrier.
    No, that won't happen. He said that there probably be only 2 carriers and as far as I understand they are stationary as well.
    that's odd I'll be interested to see how he pulls that off since I believe that most people would understand that having it playable means they can buy it and fly it around.

5.6 mil now, goddamn, don't know if they'll reach 6 mil before it ends but it will sure be damn close.
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By selbie

@Funkydupe said:

New concept video:

http://vimeo.com/53829036

Showing how a piece of concept art is turned into a playable, FPS environment. Players will be able to talk to their friends on the landing pads, in bars etc. If people from your friendslist or of any other relevance, such as bounty targets are landed where you are, they will be given priority to appear in the same instance as you are.

Also, Ben Lesnick:

Oh wow. Poor Ben. That guy has been sooooo busy.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By emem
    @onarum said:
    @emem said:
    @onarum said:
    I'm kinda worried about having the carrier playable though, it will get to a point, when the game is out for a while, where everyone will have a fucking carrier.
    No, that won't happen. He said that there probably be only 2 carriers and as far as I understand they are stationary as well.
    that's odd I'll be interested to see how he pulls that off since I believe that most people would understand that having it playable means they can buy it and fly it around.  5.6 mil now, goddamn, don't know if they'll reach 6 mil before it ends but it will sure be damn close.
    Maybe they won't be stationary, that would be kinda weird when I think about it (he left it open, was basically just thinking out loud, and didn't say anything specific). But it totally makes sense to add as few of those huge things as possible... I personally would like to jump in one of them one day and maybe take the wheel for a bit, but I really don't want to own one (if that's even possible, maybe it'll be more like community events or something). 

And this clip is still blowing my mind:   
    xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By xMrSunshine

5.5 million. How fucking crazy is that?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By emem
    @xMrSunshine said:

5.5 million. How fucking crazy is that?

5.66 right now. :)
    xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By xMrSunshine

I really hope they do good on at least most of the promises they've made. Now that they've got a ridiculous amount of money from the community the stakes are even higher and if they miss it's their fucking ass and a bunch of angry people after it.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By onarum
    @emem: yep that Cryengine 3 sure looks nice ;p
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By emem
    @onarum said:

@emem: yep that Cryengine 3 sure looks nice ;p

Yeah, it really does.

There's a nice google doc if people are interested in looking at the progress (refreshes every 30 mins) since the beginning. Space sim fans are nuts!
    Avatar image for dontgetanybigideas
    DontGetAnyBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fan of Freelancer, this game excites me on so many levels.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By haggis

This was the sort of game that made me love PC gaming, and they just aren't made very often anymore--one reason why I switched to consoles back in 2006-7. FPSs just don't do it for me like space sims do. I'd buy a new copy of Freelancer every year if they could update it and keep the graphics and gameplay current.

Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to have a PC that can really run this game in its full glory. But we'll see. It's the sort of game that could get me out and building a new gaming PC. One game isn't going to be enough, though, even with decent gaming PCs very reasonable in price compared to ten years ago. I hope it scales well for midrange PCs, but I have doubts.

I'm also pretty convinced it's not going to quite fulfill expectations (which are sky-high right now). Nevertheless, it's definitely going to be good enough. That's what matters to me. I'm absolutely dying for an open universe space sim.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xMrSunshine

@haggis: If the RSI FAQ is anything to believe the system requirements aren't maybe going to be that high.

Can you estimate the system requirements for Star Citizen?

There will be a lot of optimization in the next 24-months, plus the usual fast pace of technology, so it is hard to say absolutely. At the moment you will be able to play it on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4GB of system memory. If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit! Since the game is built on CryEngine, their system requirements will stay roughly the same as ours.

If in 24 months you don't have at least a dual core, 4 GB of RAM and a graphics card that's better than a GTX 460 then what are you even doing man. That setup is about average even right now and it'll be downright ancient in 2 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

holy crap there actually going to reach 6mil, i remember worrying about the initial 2mil.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By labman

@masterpaperlink said:

holy crap there actually going to reach 6mil, i remember worrying about the initial 2mil.

That's friggen amazing! I'm stoked to see what they can do with it.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By emem

$6 million! 

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By vaportra1l

Ok, bring on 2014. *MY PC IS READY*

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By onarum

yep 6 mil goddman, never thought it would get this far.

Now we should all pledge for  ELITE;p

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By GaspoweR

Something tells me that they are going to get support from either AMD or Nvidia, if they haven't already.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By xMrSunshine
    No Caption Provided

Sweet.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69  Edited By Levio

Wow, people are really excited about this game. Congrats to the devs on managing $6M.

Mageknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Mageknight

Okay, so now we HAVE to have the USS GBSS Luchadeer, community Giant Bomb carrier, right?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Bollard

I know people have been clamouring for a new space fighter sim thing for a long time, but I wasn't around during the Tie Fighter (or whatever that popular Star Wars one was) / ELITE / Freelancer era, so is there a difference between those three?

Why is this more popular than the new Elite: Dangerous kickstarter with David Braben?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By emem
    @Mageknight  said: 

Okay, so now we HAVE to have the USS GBSS Luchadeer, community Giant Bomb carrier, right?

There's probably going to be a very limited amount of carriers (single-digit), it'll be hard to get one. We can talk about in 2 years. :p
    TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheHumanDove

Well done everyone involved

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By juice8367

@xMrSunshine said:

@haggis: If the RSI FAQ is anything to believe the system requirements aren't maybe going to be that high.

There will be a lot of optimization in the next 24-months, plus the usual fast pace of technology, so it is hard to say absolutely. At the moment you will be able to play it on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4GB of system memory. If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit! Since the game is built on CryEngine, their system requirements will stay roughly the same as ours.

If in 24 months you don't have at least a dual core, 4 GB of RAM and a graphics card that's better than a GTX 460 then what are you even doing man. That setup is about average even right now and it'll be downright ancient in 2 years.

Damn.. that is the exact vid card i'm using now. Oh well mayble I'll look around for any deals. Should be a lot of deals comming up

LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By LAR

@Chavtheworld said:

I know people have been clamouring for a new space fighter sim thing for a long time, but I wasn't around during the Tie Fighter (or whatever that popular Star Wars one was) / ELITE / Freelancer era, so is there a difference between those three?

Why is this more popular than the new Elite: Dangerous kickstarter with David Braben?

I suspect a lot of people are seeing the Elite kickstarter as a "me also" since it started after the Star Citizen one had been funded. You also have the Molyneux affect. Chris Roberts knows how to promise big.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By Bollard

@LAR: I see, thanks.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By haggis

@xMrSunshine said:

I did say "it it's full glory." Of course, I don't foresee having a budget for a both a desktop PC and a laptop--and I need a laptop. My relatively new laptop might technically run the game, but it won't be pretty. And given my typical four year lifespan for a laptop--well, I think that explains it.

EDIT: There's also the "at the moment" caveat in the FAQ, and the fact that the game is still almost two years away. We'll see if the system requirements hold. Given Roberts's past history with system requirements, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped up as they add features.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Funkydupe

Stupid post incoming.

We don't know how its going to fare for Elite, but we can hope that both of these games get the funding they require to potentially do something good. That's what this is all about, facilitating the opportunity for potential greatness in others in order for them in turn to deliver what we want. That takes a little faith, knowing that we gamers are a really picky bunch usually with lots of games to choose between.

Paying upfront for something goes against most common sense checks, but then again it is something I assume most do because we love games. If you're a really active gamer and it is a big hobby I guess you're more often willing to invest money into it. Like other people do with other hobbies, some cost money to practice. Buying games, hardware etc, and in this case forking out some money for potential. Its really interesting though as we haven't really seen any big budget titles coming out successful as a result of Kickstarter, but that alone isn't the point of crowd-funding don't forget. If one of these games, be it the Double Fine one, the Project Eternity or Star Citizen, comes out successful, that's because of the devs and only those guys.

If one of these games do happen to turn out okay, that'll be enough for most people, at least that's what I think. if they don't, then I don't think hating on Kickstarter or crowd-funding in general is a solution that'll remain on the table for very long simply because we all knew what we were getting into. "Investments" can go this or that way, even when you thought you had a sure thing, and that feeling sucks beyond belief, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever invest again. Its totally up to you, and as long as that fact remains, I'm okay with crowd-funding. Don't spend more than you can afford. In one of the Kickstarter comments I read referenced that a guy had asked his local bank for a loan to buy one of the thousand dollar pledge ships. To me that's crazy, but its really none of my business.

Roberts spent over a year working on the demo he showed people at GDC. It was playable. It had some really advanced features in it compared to what was previously seen of games on Kickstarter. That instantly gave an indication that he had put thought into it in advance and not just woke up one day and did the crowd-funding the next day. He created a new company. He built the website. He started working on the demo with some few select people.

I have a lot more memories from Wing Commander games than I do the Elites to be honest. The "movies"/FMV stuff with Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson and others helped that even though the games didn't feel top notch even back then. They just had a more likable universe in their games, more distinct characters with identities, like the most known "Maniac".

This was really cool as a kid and that tends to stick with you. I got trapped as a result of some nostalgia with all the old game devs' talk, visions of video games, changes from then to now and the inclusion of old Origin members. The two chats between Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts was geeky but in a good way.

Sandi Gardiner and Eric "Wingman" Peterson from the "basement". Two of the team members I didn't know much about prior to the Live Stream that lasted close to 24h. Wingman was a good guy with a high potential for crazy and that was not what I expected at all from him, and he probably took things a bit too far for my taste, but some of the stuff he pulled was really entertaining. Not what you'd expect a grown man to do and say in front of camera.

This lamp hunkered down and was the only thing holding the fort in front of the Live Stream cameras for over three hours while the team members celebrated the Five Million milestone by going out for dinner and drinks. The crazy thing is that while the lamp was on-screen it somehow massed a following and gathered $150.000 that day as it was provided its own private camera for the remainder of the stream after the team returned and noticed the pledge total. Now it is said to appear in the final game.

A game can't be everything for everyone, and I think its dangerous what some games do that try to cover all the bases as it can, I'm not saying it will, but it can make the game lose its identity and turn too bland for some players that really like 'that' or 'this' aspect of a game, but felt it wasn't delivered with enough depth in those areas and so on.

Again, knowing this community I will probably get flamed for this as I've mentioned it once or twice before, but I was really disappointed in Giant Bomb. Why?

My favorite website for games and forum nonsense didn't mention this project at all in an official article. This was weird. Because I usually identify with a lot of people here, and when the site and really few of the forum-goers took interest that was odd to me. It is way easier to sit on fences, I do too a lot, but sometimes its fun to get a little more involved even when things aren't a surefire hit, but mainly just by the fascination of the ideas and possibilities that could be.

Pardon my English.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By emem
    @Funkydupe: I agree with pretty much everything you wrote about Star Citizen/the stream and I enjoyed everything I was able watch live as well. The 2nd talk with Richard Garriott was great, hearing what he thinks about Chris Roberts and how much he believes in his ability to create amazing games...loved it.

About being disappointed in GB... I do understand where you are coming from and I was hoping for some coverage as well, but at the end of the day it's all subjective and they will have their reasons why they didn't post much for any of the Kickstarter projects. Maybe they generally decided against it, maybe they don't care about the games, maybe they suck (just kidding!)... I'm kinda curious about it, but it doesn't really matter, to be honest. 

And I have a feeling that a pretty big part of the GB community has never played a space (combat) sim ever, simply because they are too young (yep, I'm old) and there hasn't been a good one in almost a decade.

I just hope that people will get more interested in this genre in the next 1-2 years and I think there is a pretty good chance that we will get some people together for a "GB (space) flight club thing" when the alpha comes out.
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By selbie

@GaspoweR: They already have. It was meant to begin at the start of the pledge drive but because of the website issues, it was delayed a few weeks.

@Funkydupe: That is the wonderful thing about this crowdfunding "movement" (for want of a better word). Sure things could go wrong during development, but right now Chris and his team have done an outstanding job in being completely transparent with their ideas and the whole crowdfunding process.

I can understand the lack of interest from GB, but I think they will start paying attention sooner or later. Their schedule is completely full right now with the Wii U release and the new website development. I honestly hope Chris and his team can visit the CBS offices to talk with the Giantbomb guys.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xMrSunshine

@Funkydupe said:

This lamp hunkered down and was the only thing holding the fort in front of the Live Stream cameras for over three hours while the team members celebrated the Five Million milestone by going out for dinner and drinks. The crazy thing is that while the lamp was on-screen it somehow massed a following and gathered $150.000 that day as it was provided its own private camera for the remainder of the stream after the team returned and noticed the pledge total. Now it is said to appear in the final game.

So that's where all this talk about lamps has come from the past few days. I meant to tune in to the stream at least to check it out for a second but forgot that it happened so I missed all of it.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By selbie
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By emem
    @selbie said:

@xMrSunshine: The Lamp

The "People ask it: LAMP! WHAT IS BEST IN LIGHT?" part made me laugh, I totally missed that. It's just brilliant.
    ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ColonelRick

I'm afraid it will be hamstrung by a spacefaring setup that's too much Freelancer 2.0. Don't get me wrong, I liked that game a LOT, and played it a LOT, but we're years on and I feel Star Citizen would be really hurt by a game world that's too instanced. Also, I don't think CR is realizing how important the mechanic of gamer collectives laying claim to/holding certain areas of space is to the metagame in EVE. It is a major part of the attraction of that game, at least for me, and I'm hoping Star Citizen will offer me similar degrees of freedom, but in a rather more immersive game universe. Years ago, I looked to Infinity to give me that experience, but that game has been in development purgatory for ages, effectively being more of a potential middleware engine than a concrete game at this point, which is a shame considering what it promised/promises.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By emem
    @ColonelRick : EVE has pretty bad space combat that's not skill based (imho) and when you've got 100 people flying around close to eachother in Star Citizen (in first person view)... I don't think you will even realise that player numbers are limited in the instance you are currently in.  

What I'm wondering is if they will/can allow everyone in an area to work together for one shared goal (shooting down a huge carrier or a space monster or whatever with one health bar for all instances) while they are in different instances.
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By selbie
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Funkydupe

Crazy. Now they've raised $8,045,742. That's over $2 million more than they wanted even with all stretch goals achieved.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy. Now they've raised $8,045,742. That's over $2 million more than they wanted even with all stretch goals achieved.

Looks like people want a modern space sim. Sounds great to me, I did not donate but if the game turns out good I will definitely be buying it, really need a new space sim. You can only play freespace 2 so many times.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Citizen just hit $9,000,000.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now approaching the $10M mark quite rapidly leading up to the new website launch. Also, hangar module preview!

Loading Video...

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Very much looking forward to this game.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Citizen - Live Stream Info

The event will take place from Friday, June 28th through Saturday, June 29th. The stream will begin at 11 AM CST with an episode of Wingman’s Hangar and will continue for 24 hours, filled with new content and announcements!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Funkydupe

Star Citizen just hit $10,000,000.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By selbie
    Loading Video...

HNnnngggg!

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By selbie

World R-R-R-Record!!

Star Citizen is now the highest crowdfunded project in the world!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Ravenlight

@selbie said:

World R-R-R-Record!!

Star Citizen is now the highest crowdfunded project in the world!

It's hard not to get caught up in the hype since RSI is talking about things that are awesome, but a little part of me wonders if Star Citizen will turn out to to be the biggest crowdfunded failure in the world. I hope not, but what if?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight: Its a possibility, but given they have a lot of ex-Origin staff alongside Chris Roberts I think it has a good chance to become a successful game. If not, I'll probably never use kickstarter again :P

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Citizen just hit $13,000,000.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selbie said:

Now approaching the $10M mark quite rapidly leading up to the new website launch. Also, hangar module preview!

Loading Video...

Ha ha boob glances at 0:11, 1:46 and 2:02. Can't say I blame him :D, I can see they're trying to use the sex appeal to draw more guy's attention.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.