Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Game » consists of 34 releases. Released Sep 16, 2008

Set before the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, The Force Unleashed casts the player as Darth Vader's secret apprentice tasked with hunting down the last of the Jedi Order.

My Experience

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ColinD
    I'm just a few hours in and at the second boss. I always go the highest difficulty possible so that when I finish the game I know I've beaten everything it has to offer. Here are my impressions thus far.
    Most of my time I've felt pretty powerful through quickly cutting enemies down with combos or quick force grabs, but both boss fights have felt very frustrating. Not the kind of frustration that comes from a Ninja Gaiden Black boss, the kind that has you screaming "I PUSHED THE MOTHER %#$@ING BLOCK BUTTON". The hit detection on the boss fights is okay at best and a few seconds off at it's worst. I find that even when I finally do catch a boss off guard my combo is interrupted or somehow misses the target. (The boss stands there motionless while I wail away.) Even a second UI delay is a big deal in an action game especially since the game's AI doesn't seem to have this lag. Granted I'm playing this on the hardest difficulty setting allowable at the beginning, but the game shouldn't have to resort to cheating just to become hard. Again, Ninja Gaiden proved that with varying the amount and type of enemies. This fight feels like I can win it if I get lucky enough times in a row, as in I could win 1 out of 20 times. Apparently I have to play those 20 times in order to progress and that's just not fun.

I find myself really wanting to get into the universe, but I may end up putting it on easy mode just to coast through the story. Right now the gameplay is this game's worst feature. I'll keep updating this blog as I go along.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas
    ColinD said:
    "
    blog
    "

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ColinD

I originally had this in my blog, but I think it's useful here for people who are thinking about buying the game or having similar frustrations.

I'm quite a ways through the campaign now after having switched over to Apprentice mode. The story is very well done and while the skill level is pretty easy it's better than Sith Lord. Maybe after I finish the game I'll be inclined to go back through and reassess my earlier comments. The different costumes and lightsaber colors were something I wasn't expecting, but are a welcome addition. Most of the cube locations aren't too difficult to find and you are able to go back and play through any map at any time. I'm not making them a priority right now and I'm averaging more than 50% per level. More later on though, I think I'm just starting to hit my stride. 
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Demilich

Three things about this game that are beyond frustrating.

1. Falling to your death, usually from no fault of your own.
    2. Those tall Grey Stormtroopers. Seriously, just fuck off with your bullshit attacks.
    3. Targeting. If you've played this game you know exactly what I mean.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail
    Demilich said:
    "Three things about this game that are beyond frustrating.

2. Those tall Grey Stormtroopers. Seriously, just fuck off with your bullshit attacks.
    "

I hear you, this is truth.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Out_On_Bail

yeah, this is an extremely aggrivating game and a lot of the time it doesn't seem to 'fair' with the way the AI is.  Demilich put it best, those 3 problems sum up my experience good.  I enjoyed the game, but once I beat it I knew I'd never go back to playing it again, it just wasn't worth the stress.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio
    Demilich said:

"
    Godamn, so true. This game is broken beyond belief, the fact that I have to load EVERYTIME I die, even if I just started and was pushed off to my death by no fault of my own... gah.

What I hate most is when they knock you down, its impossible to get up because those aholes just keep hitting you or doing attacks that continue to knock you down.

And the menus... oh man... this game is seriously poorly designed. Even when it comes to cut-scenes, they never come in smoothly, its always abrupt.

But I'm really liking the story and the graphics are pretty.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich

I beat the game last night, and I remember one really funny moment. I wasn't even angry, I just laughed.

I was in the Death Star, where you have to avoid the beams. I died and respawned in the middle of the pathway. While the game was loading I could hear "Cooldown complete, firing laser in 5... 4...". By the time I could take control again it was too late.

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ColinD

I finished the game on Apprentice and will start on a harder setting today. My thinking right now is that Apprentice is how the game is meant to be played for the first time. It doesn't give you the tools to defeat the other difficulties right from the start. This may be how they're pitching their game's longevity. 

After playing thus far, I would give the game 3/5 stars. It's a solid game if you're interested in the Star Wars story, but there's not a lot of gameplay here. Honestly I'm even trying to wrap my head around the two endings and how they might effect the rest of the story.

For the sake of keeping this thread for people wanting to learn more about the game before they buy or try the game try to keep spoilers out for now. Thanks.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SolemnOaf

if TFU is anything like the latest Star Wars films, I'm staying far, far away.  I just tried watching the third film tonight and my god, there were at least 4 fatal flaws within the first 20 minutes, and I had to shut it off.  R2D2 incinerating droids with fire?  Anakin and Obi Wan fighting to maintain their grip when the ship's cabin depressurizes and in the next scene they're running around with their lightsabers with no explanation to how they rescued themselves?  Obi Wan having a massive section of walkway collapse on him and then up and walking about as if nothing happened five minutes later?  I guess I'll never be a Star Wars fan unless I get that lobotomy my doctor keeps recommending. 

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By LightYagami245
    Demilich said:

"
    They should just put those on the box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.