Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

BioWare Acknowledges The Old Republic’s Lengthy Server Queues

• 158 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    The Old Republic was going to be a big thing, regardless of how it actually turned out.
    The Old Republic was going to be a big thing, regardless of how it actually turned out.

MMO launches are never flawless, even though companies have had plenty of time to learn from the mistakes of past MMOs. From most accounts, Star Wars: The Old Republic’s biggest issue has been one common to the genre: long server queues.

BioWare and Electronic Arts tried to make queues less of an issue by bringing people into the game in waves, but that wasn’t completely successful, and people have still been waiting.

“There are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with,” said live services executive producer Jeff Hickman on the game’s website. “Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science.”

The best advice for anyone who wants to avoid server queue issues is to simply give the game some time, and wait for everything to work itself out. That said, being part of the launch rush is an attractive prospect, so telling people to not play the game they’re interested in, especially if they've already bought it, doesn’t sound too great.

“While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues,” continued Hickman, “we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable.”

Unfortunately, Hickman's response sounds more excuse than explanation of how BioWare is addressing it.

Let me know about your experience with The Old Republic’s server woes in the comments.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

MMO launches are never flawless, even though companies have had plenty of time to learn from the mistakes of past MMOs. From most accounts, Star Wars: The Old Republic’s biggest issue has been one common to the genre: long server queues.

BioWare and Electronic Arts tried to make queues less of an issue by bringing people into the game in waves, but that wasn’t completely successful, and people have still been waiting.

“There are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with,” said live services executive producer Jeff Hickman on the game’s website. “Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science.”

The best advice for anyone who wants to avoid server queue issues is to simply give the game some time, and wait for everything to work itself out. That said, being part of the launch rush is an attractive prospect, so telling people to not play the game they’re interested in, especially if they've already bought it, doesn’t sound too great.

“While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues,” continued Hickman, “we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable.”

Unfortunately, Hickman's response sounds more excuse than explanation of how BioWare is addressing it.

Let me know about your experience with The Old Republic’s server woes in the comments.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

No woes. Works fine.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

I've been waiting for 30-40 minutes to join Giant Bomb's server. It's been consistent during the day and drops off to no time at all at night. If I wasn't so sucked in I'd be mad.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By citizenjp

I get in just fine. Had to queue once so far and I had early access since the 17th. I <3 SW. ^_^

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti
    1. Sell a set limited number of preorders to control number of people at launch.
    2. Ooooops too many people guyz!
    Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By White_Silhouette

I think my longest wait time was maybe 30 minutes. That was on day to of the early access. Other then that little to no issues. I have seen some servers saying the queue was 1hr45 min wait. But can't confirm that that's what the actual wait was for it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

TOR? I'm going to play KOTOR2 instead :P

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By darkjohnny47

i picked a "light" traffic server and have never had to wait yet. been playing since friday.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

No queue on the Giant Bomb server Mind Trick right now. At least if there is, I just skipped it.

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By akzo

At least 30 minutes. By the time I get in I've moved on to something else or lost interest in playing. Not good for someone like me who can only play at random intervals.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thor_Molecules

So much for that early access.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

Aren't there plenty of servers without queues? If so, just play around on a less busy server and move when the initial rush dies down.

Anyway, the hype got me and I just bought the game this morning, waiting for the huge download to finish as we speak. There is a pretty big chance that I will get tired of this one really quickly, but I somehow just wanted to play a mmo again..

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60

@Buckfitches said:

What are you even trying to say? It's not like you can't play. I just logged into the Giant Bomb server without a queue.

nuclear_mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nuclear_mouse

Longest I ever had to wait this past week was 10 min. Usually can get in right away on my server, and if I did have to queue up it was on average a few minutes.

The storyline is actually pretty interesting so far. At least for the Imperial Agent.

I can understand why they're purposely trying to limit server sizes in early access - having too many servers too early could mean more server consolidation down the road as people start to drop off.

Plus not everyone with early access is necessarily going to be buying the game as you just need a preorder code to get in (some people preordered, got a code, then cancelled).

@Buckfitches said:

It's been going pretty well so far actually for a lot of players.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dezztroy

I've yet to be in a queue, and I play on Iron Citadel. Which is one of the most popular servers.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

Roommate's had quite a few 30-40 minute server queue waits.

Dimorgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dimorgh

“Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science.” -Well i guess it looks like that if you dont grasp what its really ALL about, math.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

It's an MMO, that isn't even out yet.

_Dust_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _Dust_

I finish work a 7pm in the evening which, unfortunately, is peak time. I've had 4 hour long queues pretty much every night. Then I pretty much have to go to bed for the next day.

Seems to be going a lot worse on the EU side of things.

Tober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Tober

So far i really don't mind. I just log in about an hour or two before i want to play then it's ready when i've cleaned up my appartment n stuff :)

EDIT: I'm on the EU servers... heard queue times are the worst here so far.

Gunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Gunder

The queues EU side seem to be a lot worse. The server that Bioware assigned our guild regularly endures 3 hour login queues.

dezm0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dezm0nd

It feels like EA wanted both pies, eat them and then have the satisfaction of turding them out again

"Don't worry guys, we'll get you in"

"Oh noes, our game is so popular right now!!"

More headlines, please!

Dopey2400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dopey2400

I think the game is a ton of fun so far. I did have to wait for about 35 minutes one time, which while sucks is not the end of the world. I think it's fair to get a bit pissed when you have to wait in that queue and you get in and play for about 35 minutes and the game freezes up. Then you log in and have to wait in that queue again. That's the real bitch.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Jeffsekai said:

It's an MMO, that isn't even out yet.

Ssshh. Don't tell Patches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Imagine this, Giant Bomb accentuates the negative about The Old Republic. At this point it's gone from barely concealed to an out and out grudge against a game. Why even bother with a review at this point?

Dopey2400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dopey2400

@Brodehouse: But this is not really a review. It's an article stating that EA acknowledges the fact that there are long queue times.

mjdailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mjdailey

I have only had 1 Server queue to wait in and it was like 20-30 min wasn't that bad.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Giefcookie

Longest queue I've been in so far was 5people. But the lag is pretty bad at peak hours.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By galiant

I've waited just about as much as I've played the game.

Every time I want to log in there's at least a three hour queue, my server suddenly became real popular.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By crusader8463

I have been on every night, alt tabbed as we speak actually, and the longest wait I have ever had was 20 min. As far as I'm concerned this launch was flawless so far.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeanFoster

I've had zero wait time but I'm playing on a Medium population server. I don't get why more people don't just try out a different server...

chaihazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chaihazuki

So what is everyone's initial impressions? The lack of reviews are off-putting.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By tekmojo

Chose RP-PvP server and have yet to wait for a queue. Win.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60

@chaiHazuki said:

What? The game isn't even out yet ... >.>

Plus it's an MMO..

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By White_Silhouette

@chaiHazuki said:

I'm enjoying it, however I'm a huge starwars fan and never played WoW. I hear those who played WoW saying it's very much an MMO. Take that for what you will.

Also who's going to review a MMO before there are massive amounts of people on it? Some places take a month+ before putting up a review for a MMO.

Edit: Best to look for beta impressions to give you the best idea of how it is.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tekmojo
    @chaiHazuki said:

Think about what you just said.
    frootsnax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By frootsnax

The longest I've had to wait is 10 minutes and that's only during peak playing hours. Other than that, I get in first try, and if you follow swtor on twitter it looks like they're putting up new servers every day.

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slow_pC

I'm on one of the newest servers and no one is here... I like it.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By ribeye

i had a 2 hour wait the other night, and waiting sucks, so i pulled up my roots and started on another, less busy server.  hoping the one i picked won't get too crowded, i'd rather not wait at all honestly.  i'm not even gonna try on launch day tomorrow.  i mean, i like the game and i'm enjoying it, but i don't like it enough to wait 2 hours every night, f that

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vexxan

Of course there are queues at launch, lol.

essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By essi2

I've had no issues with log in so far, the server I'm on has gone from Low to Standard population though... only a matter of time.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Funkydupe

Indeed. It kind of is a big thing when it is a new mainstream Star Wars MMO.

Gunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Gunder

@Brodehouse said:

Imagine this, Giant Bomb accentuates the negative about The Old Republic. At this point it's gone from barely concealed to an out and out grudge against a game. Why even bother with a review at this point?

You're a moron. Congrats. Articles like this one HELP the people playing SWTOR: they draw attention to issues and put pressure on companies to actually get their shit together.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By megalowho

The craziest thing to me is, even at full server capacity with huge queues the game feels sparsely populated with zero lag. Their maximum number of players must be really conservative, seems like there's plenty room for more especially when people start spreading out to higher zones. I wonder if it's a perception thing.

I'm sure it'll naturally cool down a month from launch, but this could be a big bummer for all trying to play over the holidays.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TorMasturba

Will be getting this in a couple of months when the buzz has died down a bit and server issues have been figured out more.

If the campaign for each character type is as good as I keep hearing this might be the first MMO I actually find interesting.

Hope I'm not just being sucked into the void. Lol.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By morningstar

Friday evening ALL english EU servers had queues. So no avoiding them.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iceman228433

Wait i thought this website had a rule that you could not talk about this game, with all the crap you guys have given it at this point.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jayjonesjunior

WHAA? EA being cheap? NO WAY!

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FateOfNever

Most of the time it hasn't been too bad. Tried to get onto my server last night though at around 8:30pm or so and had a good 20 minute wait time. Saw the GB server had a 50 minute wait time, and saw at least one server with over an hour wait time. The biggest problem just seems to be probably not enough servers. On one hand, I can't really blame them too much for that, because you can only do so much estimating on how many servers you're going to need up and running at launch (since you don't want TOO many servers, because then you're just wasting money and if the population is too spread out then they have to merge servers and that's just a doom sign.) On the other hand, high population servers tend to STAY high population servers, and only ever seem to get worse as time goes on. If the game hasn't even launched yet and there's already 20 minute to over an hour wait times, how bad is it going to get if the game really takes off? I don't want to go from 20 minute wait times at peek times on a weekend to hour wait times every day.... Otherwise, yeah, it's going well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.