Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Gut-Check - "Flippin' Excellent!" or Not?

• 68 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

I'm quite intoxicated with SW:TOR. I catch myself saying 'This is flippin' brilliant!' every so often.

Gut-Check. How do you feel about SW:TOR right now?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

Not so flippin' excellent for me!

But hey, I hope all of you other guys enjoy it!

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @Cloudenvy: Care to elaborate? I'm trying to gauge what people think and make a decision for myself. What aren't you liking about it?
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

@fishmicmuffin said:

@Cloudenvy: Care to elaborate? I'm trying to gauge what people think and make a decision for myself. What aren't you liking about it?

It's a very basic issue, I think the combat is really boring and not very engaging. : )

The voice acting and small plotlines are cool and all but I always feel kind of disappointed when there's a really good setup for a quest and then it turns out to be a fetch quest or something. : )

I'm sure there'll be people who disagree with me, and I'm probably the one who is crazy!

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @Cloudenvy: No, that is a totally fair criticism. Combat in MMOs is never the greatest and from what I played during the beta it doesn't appear to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for letting me know! Are you going to stick with it with hopes of it getting better?
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm loving it.

It plays smooth, classes feel powerful and diverse, quests are good and the overall star wars vibe is totally there.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

@fishmicmuffin said:

@Cloudenvy: No, that is a totally fair criticism. Combat in MMOs is never the greatest and from what I played during the beta it doesn't appear to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for letting me know! Are you going to stick with it with hopes of it getting better?

Probably not during the holidays since I still have Arkham City, Skyward Sword and Assassin's Creed: Revelations to go through.

But sure, I'd be willing to give it another look sometime in the future when my backlog is not quite as packed. : )

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@fishmicmuffin said:

Combat mechanics are one of SW:TOR's most interesting and unique concepts, because of the companion and the 'soft trinity' (holy trinity = tank, healer, damage dealer). Every advanced class is proficient at 2 out of 3 aspects of the trinity (regardless of talents) and you always have a companion to fill the 3rd role out of the trinity. My Sith Sorcerer is a proficient healer and damage dealer on his own - together with my tank companion, I manage the whole holy trinity on my own.

Hence all encounters in the game are designed like group encounters. That's a quite unique twist and one can take that core idea of 'being my own group' quite far. Doing group dungeons solo will become 'a thing' amongst the SWTOR hardcore for sure.

TL;DR combat is only superficially 'the same old, same old'. Companions and soft trinity add a unique and worthwhile twist. Especially for more advanced players, who have a deeper understanding of group mechanics and enjoy doing it all - all at once.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JokerFrown

Santa won't get to play until the 20th because Santa waited to long to secure a copy of it. Based on Santa's experience during the beta, Santa thinks that it would be an excellent gift for the children on Christmas day.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Aetheldod

@JokerFrown: Figures Santa ..... because you failed me I cant play the game nao :´( what a sad xmas

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60

It's fantastic.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

@CL60 said:

It's fantastic.

This. Exactly.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nephrahim

I'm liking it. Loving it might be going a little far, but I felt closer to flippin excellent then neutral.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Codeacious

For those of you that are liking it, is the Digial Deluxe Edition worth anything? I.e. does the speeder actually help a bunch in those early levels at all?

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tekmojo

Playing it as a single player game atm, and it's quite good (Imperial Agent), as expected. Stepping out into the MMO aspects have me feeling severely underwhelmed, but the art style is soothing on the eyes. Playing on a RP-PvP server, which is the best of both worlds IMO. If I run into a laid back guild, that might be a good reason to keep my attention off Guild Wars 2 for a bit. Also using a PS3 controller to play and it's so much easier on the hands once you get used to it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

So how many of those no votes have even played the game.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nephrahim

@isnipeyoudie said:

For those of you that are liking it, is the Digial Deluxe Edition worth anything? I.e. does the speeder actually help a bunch in those early levels at all?

I bought it.

But.

no. It's not worth it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

The game is great. I just got my Disc in the mail yesterday and finally got the game running. I got early access on the second day (few days ago).

I played it until 5 in the morning (today) so ya... I like it =P

Also color me surprised, but it actually runs on my old ass computer. That part is pretty cool.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Loving it. My skepticism was blown away when playing the beta and now that I can play a character without knowing I'll loose it... yeah. I'm hooked.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Floppypants

I think the game is great.

The game has a huge amount of varied content that keeps me cemented to my desk chair. Questing, crafting, space combat, holocrons, group quests and flashpoints mix up what I'm doing constantly so I don't get bored.

I was worried I wouldn't like playing a Trooper, but I think I enjoy him more now than I would a Jedi.

@isnipeyoudie said:

The speeder is just a free mount you can use after you've purchased Speeder Piloting at level 25. You're not buying an early game cheat, you're buying a visually unique vehicle.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By project343

@isnipeyoudie said:

No.

From what I understand, you don't actually get that speeder until level 25 (with the rest of the mounts). You get a mount, not the license to use it.

@Floppypants said:

I think the game is great.

The game has a huge amount of varied content that keeps me cemented to my desk chair. Questing, crafting, space combat, holocrons, group quests and flashpoints mix up what I'm doing constantly so I don't get bored.

I was worried I wouldn't like playing a Trooper, but I think I enjoy him more now than I would a Jedi.

I agree on every point. First off, Trooper is a goddamn blast. Second, I don't even understand how Bioware had the art budget to make everything that they made. When you get to Nar Shaddaa and see all these lower streets and buildings that they designed that aren't actually part of the questing progression... it's mind-blowing. I have yet to see a room that feels reused. And they're so expansive and huge.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Cincaid

@CL60 said:

Well, he didn't include a "I'm not playing it"-option. I guess you could vote for the B option in that case, but just saying.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@Cincaid said:

@CL60 said:

Well, he didn't include a "I'm not playing it"-option. I guess you could vote for the B option in that case, but just saying.

Well, it's just common courtesy only to vote, if you actually play the early access right now. But what do I know...

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By galiant

I'm really enjoying it, but for some reason my server became really popular and I have to endure three hours of queue time every time I want to play...

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Samaritan

It's WoW in space. It's such a lazy and easy comparison but it's also incredibly apt. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. For someone who has played so much WoW before, it's very easy and comfortable to start playing, but it's also something I've done many times before, so I don't see myself playing in 3 months.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cincaid

@Seppli: You have to take into account that a lot just want to see the results as well. That can of course be GB's fault for not including such an option. :)

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@project343 said:

@CL60 said:

It's fantastic.

This. Exactly.

Agree completely. I am hopelessly addicted to this game.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nights

I voted for B.

I got into the EGA yesterday with a few other friends and had a pretty good time. Got to level 13 today and I'm already growing a tired of the game. Reason? Personal preference I suppose. Conceptually, I've always loved the idea of MMOs. I've tried countless MMOs (both F2P and P2P) and only one game has left me hopelessly addicted. That game was Mabinogi. Since then, nothing has compared to that experience. It's completely different to anything else I've played and it's also more of the sandbox variety. To be fair, I knew I wasn't a big fan of theme park MMOs but, I figured I'd jump into SWTOR anyways. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would so that's a plus. I can see why people are really into it.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brother_PipPop

I'm loving the combat and some of the quests I wish were just blocks of text and not fully spoken. But all in all I think its a very good game will definitely keep my attention till Mists of Pandoria (sp).

Oh two small things, I dont like that you cant click on someone's name in the chat window and just get a basic rundown of thier character. And also this is extremely nit-picky but I dislike that you cant target friendly npc's that arent vendors/quest givers/npc's of those sorts.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo
    @project343 said:

I don't even understand how Bioware had the art budget to make everything that they made. When you get to Nar Shaddaa and see all these lower streets and buildings that they designed that aren't actually part of the questing progression... it's mind-blowing. I have yet to see a room that feels reused. And they're so expansive and huge.

Do any of them look like they were originally destined for Dragon Age 2? That would explain a lot.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By project343

@Jimbo said:

@project343 said:

I don't even understand how Bioware had the art budget to make everything that they made. When you get to Nar Shaddaa and see all these lower streets and buildings that they designed that aren't actually part of the questing progression... it's mind-blowing. I have yet to see a room that feels reused. And they're so expansive and huge.

Do any of them look like they were originally destined for Dragon Age 2? That would explain a lot.

Sigh.

Nah, it was a completely new studio founded like 4 years ago? Anyway, that projected $300 million budget is probably what brought us so few reused assets. I mean, if that number is right, it tripled GTA4's $100 million budget--the current highest budgeted game of all time.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Giefcookie

Liking it so far when my ping isnt over 800.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'll only believe the hype when Mr T or Chuck Norris do an ad for SWTOR. Also what do people call this, becaus WoW is such a perfect way to say World of Warcraft. Do they just say "Swotur" or what?

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tekmojo
    @Vinny_Says said:

I'll only believe the hype when Mr T or Chuck Norris do an ad for SWTOR. Also what do people call this, becaus WoW is such a perfect way to say World of Warcraft. Do they just say "Swotur" or what?

I just call it TOR.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Bollard

How can I view the poll results without voting arbitrarily?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

I really like the group dialogue moments. It's nothing groundbreaking, and is little more than a virtual dice roll, but it adds this level of immersion when playing with others.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By management

How much like WoW is it? I have been thinking of trying it out, but people saying it's WoW with Star Wars elements have turned me off the game. I played way to much WoW, I do'nt want to play any more of it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli

@Management said:

How much like WoW is it? I have been thinking of trying it out, but people saying it's WoW with Star Wars elements have turned me off the game. I played way to much WoW, I do'nt want to play any more of it.

It has all the features of WoW and is competitively executed and adds a lot of worthwhile concepts and ideas ontop of it.

• The concept of *soft trinity and companions is a gamechanger for combat (i.e. every advanced class does one aspect of the trinity very well, another proficiently and the third aspect is covered by the companion - making every combat encounter feel like a group encounter, making proficient use of group tactics advantageous)
    • Storytelling adds to the questing experience. Essentially the class mainquest feels like a proper singleplayer campaign - a KotOR game.
    • Crafting is super neat. My favorite crafting experience in MMOs thus far. Little tedium, just managing companions and ressources. Anywhere, all the time - even while actually playing game.

SW:TOR is a themepark MMO just like WoW. It can rival Blizzard's game in execution and features and depth and polish. It feels a lot like WoW first did, but that's a compliment, because once you go ballsdeep - it's not a knock-off. It's an origial.

*holy trinity = interplay between tank and healer and damage dealer

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Marz

too early, need to see what's at the end of the tunnel ya know... where the real game happens.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonPixel

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

star wars vibe is totally there.

Ugggh...

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lethalki11ler

I'm loving it soo much!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Seppli

@Marz said:

too early, need to see what's at the end of the tunnel ya know... where the real game happens.

What good is a Raid and PvP Endgame Threadmill, if getting there isn't fun? Hell - getting there is the only thing that counts right now. I can see me doing all eight main storylines over the next couple of months. It's a damn fine game even without the ambition to rise to the ranks of a full epic powerhouse fueling it. Though I'm sure the endgame's there. At least I found the raid gear and PvP epic gear vendors already. My sorc will end up looking like the pope for the satanist christian sect, the Vatican Warlock Assassins.

Hence it's called a Gut-Check. Not a conclusive review.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Marz

@Seppli said:

@Marz said:

What good is a Raid and PvP Endgame Threadmill, if getting there isn't fun? Hell - getting there is the only thing that counts right now. I can see me doing all eight main storylines over the next couple of months. It's a damn fine game even without the ambition to rise to the ranks of a full epic powerhouse fueling it. Though I'm sure the endgame's there. At least I found the raid gear and PvP epic gear vendors already. My sorc will end up looking like the pope for the satanist christian sect, the Vatican Warlock Assassins.

yes it can be awesome early on, but it can also be warhammer online, where the first two tiers are awesome, then once you get to the third and fourth tier of levels the game totally becomes a piece of shit, then a lack of endgame to top it off that kills it. As for me i've played the beta a few times, been doing the same quests over and over again, so yeah it's still too early... it's not really fun doing the same quests on different classes over and over again, that begins to open up once you get your starship and i haven't gotten there yet. So none of your poll answers apply to me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli

@Marz said:

@Seppli said:

@Marz said:

yes it can be awesome early on, but it can also be warhammer online, where the first two tiers are awesome, then once you get to the third and fourth tier of levels the game totally becomes a piece of shit, then a lack of endgame to top it off that kills it. As for me i've played the beta a few times, been doing the same quests over and over again, so yeah it's still too early... it's not really fun doing the same quests on different classes over and over again, that begins to open up once you get your starship and i haven't gotten there yet. So none of your poll answers apply to me.

At least to me, Warhammer Online was pretty shit from the get-go. I had extremely high expectations and was bitterly disappointed. Most of what they set-out to do, turned out to be merely paper awesome and unfun. At least to me. So I'd have answered this poll with a resounding 'No!' back then. I have a very different gut-feeling about SW:TOR. Opposed to Warhammer Online, SW:TOR's ideas mesh together very nicely. It works as a storydriven singleplayer game. It works as a social online multiplayer game. What I've experienced of matched PvP (a round of lvl 10 Huttball) was fun and promising.

Playing a lvl 20 Sith Sorcerer, I'm having an outstanding time. All the parts I have experienced thus far are fun. Even elements I usually don't care for, like crafting, work for the game. First MMO in a very long time which simply feels right to me. I'm not saying that "Flippin' Brilliant!" is my definitive answer, but it's word for word what I'm muttering every so often, when I just had some crazy awesome Sith moment happening in the story, or by being a total badass dealing with an encounter. Like I sometimes burst into laughing at the insane unscripted awesomeness unfolding in-front of my eyes when playing Battlefield 3. I know it when I see it. This is awesome.

A vocal expression to my gut reaction to what happens in the game. It's too soon to have a gut-reaction? What?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karkarov

Easily the most engaging mmo in the last few years. Worst bugs I have run into, alot of people got blocked out of certain chats for no apparent reason (guild/party/etc) but we discovered a reload ui fixes it, queues are insane (but they add servers and expand server cap daily), only major complaint after loading up my collectors edition code my pre existing characters did not get the collectors items email although my characters post code registration did.

Lastly... yes the speeder helps. It will save you alot of money by not having to buy one in a store and it does increase movement speed by like 90%.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@DonPixel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Ugggh...

I find your lack of respect for my opinion disturbing.
    Don't make me force choke you now!
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer

At first I thought this thread was here to extol the virtues of a class ability called "Gut-Check."

But as I stated in my lengthy blog post found here (*koff* shameless self-promotion *koff), despite an intensely negative beta experience and an intense burn-out on WoW three years ago, I am head over heels for the retail release of ToR. I just need to roll a female Trooper alt so I can get my Jennifer Hale on.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DonPixel

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@DonPixel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Ugggh...

I find your lack of respect for my opinion disturbing. Don't make me force choke you now!

Relax I respect your opinion it's far for disturbing, It is just that I find utterly dull what Star Wars has become.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By Barrock

Absolutely loving it. Didn't enjoy playing as a Jedi but Smuggler is awesome as hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.