Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 01, 1998

StarCraft has been called the greatest real-time strategy game ever and it's certainly one of the most critically acclaimed. StarCraft features three powerful, yet balanced races: the Terrans, the Zerg, and the Protoss. You play as each race fights to the death for the fate of the universe.

Should I buy the battle chest?

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By masterherocard

With all the starcraft 2 talk recently, I've been interested in trying the game out. However, as I'm not sure my computer can handle it, I've been thinking of trying out the first game for now.  

So here's the question. At the local gamestop, there's the "battle chest", which has starcraft 1, brood war, and a strategy guide for both for twenty dollars. Just as a general fan of good games, should I buy it?
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

Ya dude

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Yes.

Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Bruuin

I bought Starcraft II on Launch day and played the first 4 or 5 missions having never finished the original.  I've since gone back and finished the entirety of the Terran campaign and 8 missions of the Zerg campaign and I find it amazing how well the original holds up.  My eyes have adjusted to the blocky sprite and textures and I'm finding that I'm having a blast.  It's well worth it to get the battle chest, regardless of whether or not your computer can run SC2. $20 is great value for what you'll get out of  it.   

On a separate note, there is actually a Starcraft 2 demo available.  Just not the conventional kind, but a friend of mine just bought a new video card and there was a disc on it with a timed demo.  I don`t remember the exact details, but I think you get 7 hours or so before the demo times out, so if you can get your hands on that, it would be a great way to see if your system can handle it.    

Also, here`s a handy link:   http://www.srtest.com/cyri    

Just pick Starcraft II from the drop down menu and it`ll give you a pretty detailed list of how all of your components stack up. 

If you can end up running Starcraft 2, I`d suggest you get the battlechest as well anyway.  It`s a classic and the gameplay holds up phenomenally well.  

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rmills87

Yea most definitely.  I am basically in the same boat as you.  Only when StarCraft had first come out, I dipped my feet in the water a little bit.  Definitely a fun game, but I was too young to understand the gameplay mechanics and story.  Now being 23 and StarCraft 2 having been released, I figured I would not only dip my feet in, but take a dive.  I bought the Battle Chest last week and have been powering through the Terran campaign so far every chance I get.  StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was actually dropped off at my doorstep today.  I will be installing it as soon as I get home from work and play a few rounds online.  After that, I'm getting right back into the original storyline on StarCraft, then play through Brood War's campaign, then on to StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty campaign.  Now that I look for and appreciate amazing gameplay, I don't know why I ever stopped caring so much about StarCraft which ended up with me losing it. 

FUCKING BUY THE BATTLE CHEST, THEN FUCKING BUY STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.