Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stardew Valley

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 26, 2016

After escaping the burden of city life, an office worker begins their new life managing their grandfather's farmland in the rural region of Stardew Valley in this indie mix of top-down action-RPG and life simulation.

How have you been spending most of your time in Stardew Valley?

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
    Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How have you been spending most of your time in Stardew Valley? (204 votes)

Friendships. 6%
    Mining. 20%
    Fishing. 18%
    Foraging. 4%
    Farming. 50%
    Raising Animals. 1%

Hi guys!

I am curious to know. I have hit around the 30 hour mark in this game and I was watching Dan's stream he did a few days ago. I noticed his friendships are a lot lower than mine and maybe I am obsessing over giving everyone gifts and talking to them a lot? Currently I am on the track to get married but it is Winter and I do not think it rains in the winter. I need to buy the pendant of the old man on the beach when it rains.

Keep this chat spoiler free please! Make sure to use spoiler tags!

I have reached around level 10 with Penny, 8 with haley and 7, 6 and 5 with a lot of others whereas I noticed Dan was only at 4 with Penny at a higher playtime and that was his best relationship!

For anyone wondering, at level 10 with penny, after you give her the romance flowers, she sends you a note to meet her in the spa after dusk...

• 
    TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above...?

Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travisrex: I should have added that option!

However, I felt for the first many hours I focused on Fishing a lot. Ended up maxing it out pretty quickly. It's a great way to make money, especially in the winter now that I have no crops.

Also, I started freaking out when I realized the relationships can degrade over time :P

That led me to start talking to everyone in town at least once every day or two.

I also did out notes on paper of all the bundles I need so I can check them off. Some of the crap I have no idea how to even get.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bam_Boozilled

I was going to choose mining but farming is likely more accurate. When I don't have anything pressing to do I'll head over to the mine and try to get 5 levels deeper. I made it far enough where I'm getting dangerously close to death each time I try to advance. But its fine because so far all the resources I need I can get, it just means I'm more wary about spelunking. I avoided fishing like the plague until I found out you hold the button, rather than click it.

Friendship kind of eludes me because I don't bother to keep track of where everyone goes and what they like. I've got one heart with some people, but that's it.

Things have changed since about halfway through the first summer. Money was really tight and I stressed about what decisions to make. I'm nearing the end of that summer and money has been flowing in, which means I've been able to invest in things other than farming. Like raising animals and artisan goods. The game has opened up more and I feel a bit freer to experiment.

Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bam_boozilled:

Interesting thing about the friends is that you just have to make sure to talk to people. You can give them mostly anything with the exception of Haley who mostly likes flowers and jewels. I usually give people like beer or jewels and shit. Usually works.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Fishing. I don't plan my days out fantastically. When I don't have enough time to get to the mine after doing some stuff in the morning, I end up fishing.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i just make sure to do all of my farming first thing in the morning and then sort of see where the day takes me. the things I've been neglecting most are relationships and fishing.

I'll get into relationships more during winter/my second year because I'm just focusing on my farm for now and I just can't stand the fishing mini game

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikeLemmer

I think everyone eventually spends most of their time farming; the interesting question is what you spend most of your time in the afternoon (after farm chores are done) doing. I try to focus on mining on a secondary source of income.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spend a lot of time just farming and caring for crops/clearing my fields. Just hit year 2, married Maru (I seem the be the only person who romanced her), and have the entire middle section of my farm hoe'd out for crops. I would go the Keg route but it's so boring just growing one crop to abuse liquor. :\

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@captainjudaism: Always good to see another Maru fan. Hard to come by, weirdly enough.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I try to spread my time around to cover all the bases, but the majority is farming and then husbandry. Obviously once you get to Winter fishing and mining become more of a priority, but it's good to have at least a chicken coop to keep the mayonnaise empire churning over through the festive season.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11 MattyFTM  Moderator

My time has been mostly split between farming and mining. A little bit of fishing when I've done a lot of farming in the day and I don't have enough energy or time to go mining.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

farming pretty much all year round. although not so much during the winter. my sprinklers does all the work. but i also run by my chicks, ducks cows and goats. just finished the first year. but friendship or fishing is not a high priority. although abigail is the one im going after. she is also easy to please sine she loves amethyst and i have a ton of them

finnished the mines and need to gather 25k so i can open the vault and go to the new dungeon via the bus)

im kinda surprised that fishing is so popular since i think its god aweful but i finally creeped up at around rank 6. everything else is rank 9 or 10

LoopyChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Haven't started with animals yet, mostly been splitting my time between fishing, mining, and friendships. A few small garden patches here and there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Farming I guess but hard to say since I really split my time everywhere except really fishing, which I rarely do except last Winter when that kind of replaced my farming time.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Farming for sure. I'm in the middle of my first fall, and after listening to Dan talk about making beer in winter, I grew a ton of hops during summer. I'm gonna get a barn built, and stock it full of kegs as a little brew house.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I was spending the majority of my time farming, but now that I'm on year two, I have 30-some sprinklers so the only significant farming work happens on the first of the season. I usually get up, take care of the animals, and then either go talk to people in town and give gifts, fish, or mine. My goal right now is to get community center squared away so I've been fishing a lot -- I'd suggest for anyone doing the community center to use a guide for the fish.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a schedule:

• Sunday - Fishing
    • Monday - Mining
    • Tuesday - Town (Buy whatever I need, community centre, chat people up, whatever else needs doing in town)
    • Wednesday - Clear out the grass, trees, rocks, and shit from the farm. This is nearly all gone though, so it'll probably turn into "expand farm day"
    • Thursday - Fishing
    • Friday - Mining
    • Saturday - Town

This is all of course after seeing to my crops and animals, so my time is split pretty evenly between all activities. I don't really focus on foraging ever, just pick stuff up as I see it.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm level 10 in both mining and farming, so, those...

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Landscaping should be an option. So many damn weeds and sticks everywhere.

KaDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've sorta gotten to the point where I can consistently go 40+ floors deep in the randomized dungeon, and gotten kinda bummed/burned out 'cause it ends up being the best use of a day after a few farming tasks. It's like, around 8k a trip even without the gem focused mining perks. Still kinda need the money to finish the greenhouse so I can more easily get people their favourite thingy.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fractal_seaweed

Farmin' every day:

Loading Video...

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got to summer so right now Im still farming in the mornings, then spa then mining. one or two days of the week Ill wander around town or fish or do something else. Gotta get dem earth crystals for Maru!

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been enjoying living in the moment. There's no plan. I figure year one is for learning... townsfolk probably think I'm anti-social. I kinda want to see if they turn on me somehow for not lavishing them with gifts because then my plan is to let the corporation take over their town. Once I'm the sole supplier of goods I'll offer them minimum wage non-union jobs on my farm while I run things from my yacht in Florida.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of go with the flow but I have a morning and evening loop. Morning is get the animals milked/sheared/etc., pull any ripe crops, load up my food processing items. After that I'm off to do whatever goals popped up in the mail or work on my lowest skill or weakest item.

At this point my farming plots take care of themselves after I plant them at the beginning of a season. Just got married to Abigail last night.

Such a fun game.

totaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completed the mine before the first winter, so now I have nothing to do but fish until spring... It's boring. -_-

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wwen

First year I did a lot of clearing the dungeon, but year 2 is more farm focused. Farming is probably one of the faster ways to get money, but I spent a lot of time doing a bit of everything the first year. Mining is dependent on the luck for the day, so is probably not that great for gaining cash. I'm trying to avoid getting FAQ spoiled, but I'm glad I found out that villagers lose 2 friend-points per day if you don't at least talk to them and even talking to them give some points. That put less pressure on me to run around clicking on people. Just like IRL.

I did get Leah to be my waifu in the 2nd summer though. Abigail was too much like me. (Except for eating rocks)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'm in Fall of year one and overall, I think a vast majority of my time is spent mining. At some point early Summer I got my farm completely automated so the first half of each day I spend doing various upkeep at home and around town and the second half of each day is dedicated to collecting stuff from the mines. That said, I reached the bottom at the end of Summer and have a pretty generous stockpile of ores so I'll probably cut back and figure out something else to do with my time.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Pretty evenly split doing everything except fishing. I just don't find it all that enjoyable, and so it's holding me back in finishing the community center. I had hoped the crab pot would help me get past the tediousness of fishing, but alas. It only delivers a handful of kinda useless fish.

The traveling cart has been very useful for buying some of the rarer fish, but I'll probably just have to buckle down, look at the wiki, and spend some time knocking out the rest of the bundles.

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fishing, farming and turning my property in to a brewery.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in summer of my second year and it's definitely crop farming for me. I don't have any set day plans, so once all my crops are picked/watered (I have sprinklers for pretty much everything now) I just kinda judge the rest of my time by what I need. I'm level 10 in farming and level 6-8 in everything else. It's only in my second year that I've gotten more into extra objects (beehives, lightning rods etc) and now animals. Chickens are doing well and I'm saving up for cows at the moment so farming will probably continue to be my top thing.

I've barely touched on working towards relationships, except for Abigail. We got married in Spring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.