Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stardew Valley

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 26, 2016

After escaping the burden of city life, an office worker begins their new life managing their grandfather's farmland in the rural region of Stardew Valley in this indie mix of top-down action-RPG and life simulation.

Stardew Valley and Self Care

YEAHbrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By YEAHbrother

I never expected to be diagnosed with cancer. At least, maybe not until I was an old man, when those things become more expected. But alas, at 27 years old, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Unfortunately, that diagnosis usually only comes after surgery to remove the affected testicle. So, in the span of a week, I had major surgery, followed by the news that I indeed did have testicular cancer.

Nobody ever wants to be diagnosed with cancer, but at least for me, it meant I got to spend more time with my family than usual. The day I heard the news about my diagnosis, it was good to have people who cared for me around. They helped me by asking the doctor questions that seemed to escape my mind before I could ask them. They helped me do tasks that required more mobility than I was able to give. They provided assurances of love and care, regardless of what happens next.

I'm thankful for how my family were able to care for me through the initial week and a half from surgery to diagnosis, but there came a moment when processing everything that had happened sent my brain into overload. Keeping a level head felt difficult, and I felt like any illusion of control over my life was spiraling away. The part of my brain that makes words come out in an orderly fashion decided to take a vacation, and I was left feeling a bit helpless. I needed to process, but I felt like I showed up to play football without any pads on. Against the NFL. The whole entire NFL.

In that moment, I decided to start up Stardew Valley. For those unfamiliar, Stardew Valley is a farming simulator, with light RPG elements. Developed by Concerned Ape, it was one of my favorite games released in 2016. I immediately felt comforted by elements of the game that, until that day, I had taken for granted. Everything in the game happens in days starting from 6:00am until 2:00am, which means it takes some strategizing and organization in order to maximize productivity in each day. For example, this could mean knowing that by 11:00am, you need to have all of your crops watered, animals fed, and items stored, so that you can go into town to meet one of the many other residents in order to continue building a relationship with them. Then, that leaves some time to buy more seeds in the local produce store (absolutely NOT the giant-corporation owned Joja Mart), process a geode discovered in the local mine at the blacksmith's shop, or to spend some time fishing down at the beach. Once it gets later in the evening, you could visit the local tavern and buy everyone a round, or do some last-minute landscaping around your farm's property before the last of your energy is spent for the day. Adhering to the structure of organizing and executing activities in a productive way allowed me to feel a sense of control that I was missing in real life.

The music of Stardew Valley is quite charming, living in a space between retro-game devotion and modern sensibilities. The sound and tone of the music changes with each season within the game, each change seeking to capture the feeling of spring, summer, fall, and winter within a few different songs. I had always enjoyed the music while playing the game, but in this particular instance, the music felt deeply comforting, reaching a part of myself in a way that only music can. I picked up on melancholic tones that made me feel relieved, as if the music was reaching out to give me a hug, and tell me that life would be okay. While this may sound dramatic when speaking about a video game soundtrack, it is a testament to the artistry of the music that it could speak to me in such a way.

As I mentioned earlier, you can also go from your farm into the town in a short walk's time, and interact with other residents who have their own schedules to follow. Most of the relationship building in Stardew Valley is superficial at best - giving a gift that someone really likes and talking to them every day can quickly make them like you more. If there is a way to make people dislike you, I haven't found it yet. While this doesn't make for a very complex system, it does serve to make the player feel welcomed. Every conversation with the other residents of Stardew Valley isn't necessarily always sunny and positive, but there is a general feeling of warmth from most of the other people who inhabit the town. Usually, I had been seeing the other characters in the town as another stat to build, as more meters to fill up. This time, they represented a departure from what usually happens with other characters in a video game: they weren't creating conflict with me, and they weren't being used as parts and pieces of a conflict presented for me to overcome. I recognized the relief that the simplicity of the relationship system brought me in that moment, that I didn't have to experience an ounce of stress when interacting with the other characters in the game.

Suddenly, Stardew Valley was becoming more than a refreshing indie-game that hooked me with the progression of building both a farm and relationships with other characters. More so, it became an immediate source of self care that helped to calm me down and give me back a sense of control over what was happening in my life. Amidst the chaos and uncertainty that comes with a cancer diagnosis, it helped to keep my spirits on track, and helped my brain to stay away from hanging out with worry and fear for too long. I was able to escape from my anxieties for just long enough, so that way I could enjoy hanging out with my family again without feeling like a complete nervous wreck. When I thought I was building a farm, the game was building me up, bringing me back into a better, more positive place.

kaptainkobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, man. This post was extraordinarily well-written. I intentionally avoided this game because I know how wrapped up in it I would get, I never considered that the consuming nature of it could do so much good. Hope all goes well with your health.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can absolutely relate to this situation, unfortunately. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, and it was the darkest, most helpless feeling I have ever experienced. I think I could have dealt better with a cancer diagnosis for myself rather than her, since I at least would feel like I was in some type of control of the situation. I definitely developed a routine that helped me deal with the unknown and horrifying reality that faced (and continues to face) us, which included the familiar, comfortable confines of my favorite games as often as I had time (mostly quite late at night). Her diagnosis was right around the time that Bloodborne came out, and I played the hell out of that. Despite the dour, oppressive setting, its repetitive and predictable nature really offset the unpredictable nature of cancer and its treatment. I'm glad you've been able to find that kind of comfort in Stardew. Had that been out at the time, I would definitely have been dipping into its bucolic setting frequently. It's definitely a more calming experience than Bloodborne.

Thanks for posting this, duder. F*#@ cancer! I hope you're doing well in the treatment process (or, ideally, it's behind you at this point), and that your prognosis is good!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I played the shit out of this game when I was in a bad depression and it's charm was a big help. When I didn't want to do my daily routine, escaping into that in that game and seeing things grow over time was a big help when every day I didn't really feel like putting in energy or effort. It's a great game for this kind of thing.

SeanPCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for sharing- currently having a nice experience with the game as well.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that was awesome.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never before have I been on any type of forums (especially on a gaming site of all places) where the contributors so often and consistently choose to lift others up, instead of looking for any possible way to tear them down. Giant Bomb has curated something special here. I am so glad there is a place where we can come together and and discuss our (often effed up) lives and how these little things called video games help us get through them.

Thanks for sharing duder, stay strong!

catalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By catalex

Thanks for sharing, it makes me happy to know I'm not alone in using games to help with cope with what life throws at us sometimes. Stardew Valley is a game I like to play in times when life seems to be disorderly and confusion or anxiety inducing. I'm glad it helped you in hard times!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanks for talking about your story. I wish you the best of luck in your treatment process!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for your story. I'm beginning to realise that 100% the main reason why I play video games is to escape from it all.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing. Stardew Valley seems like the kind of game I could take solace in. I'll have to grab it one of these days. Best of luck with your treatment.

YEAHbrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all so much! I'm encouraged even more now from the GB community, and am so glad to have support even from people who don't know me as I go through all of this. Thanks for all of the kind words - it means a lot!

sakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for sharing.

We've never met but you're a legend! I hope to see you write some more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.