Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stardew Valley

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 26, 2016

After escaping the burden of city life, an office worker begins their new life managing their grandfather's farmland in the rural region of Stardew Valley in this indie mix of top-down action-RPG and life simulation.

Why can't I stop playing this game? (now on switch)

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Once again this game has sunk its hooks into me, distracting me from both work and school, fromparenthood and from friendships, and now that its portable I REALLY don't have to live my actual life. Anyone dipping back into this? If you haven't played it yet, I can't imagine a better way to do so than on the Switch

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Am I crazy that I am having a hard time deciding between getting Stardew Valley (again) and getting Mario Galaxy? I can only afford one. :(

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Because it's amazing.

I dropped off Zelda for a bit - currently playing through Golf Story which I think is great. I do plan on sinking another 50+ hours into Stardew at some point though. I bought it straight away, I'm happy for ConcernedApe to get my full retail for that game

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Yeah, I'm basically reliving my arc of addiction to this game from when it came out on PC. Having it portable really makes it so much nicer -- even if I had a very busy day I can play a few days before bed (though forcing myself to stop is always painful). I'm kind of in the height of SDV fever right now, I'm thinking about it when I'm not playing and losing sleep over the stupid game.

It's been interesting playing on Switch because I played it on PC at release; there are enough little tweaks and new things that the game still surprises me here and there. I'm playing on the riverland farm, which is an interesting twist, and the new dialogue and stuff is fun to see. Also thank god I can move my buildings now; ugh, that's so nice.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish I was pulled into Stardew Valley like I expected to be. Picked it up a few months ago for cheap on PS4. I'm not very familiar with these types of games so the open-ended nature and the way the intro just plops you into the world left me a bit confused and directionless. I should try to boot it up again soon. Any quick tips for someone who isn't sure how to approach it?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had a Switch I'd probably buy the game again and I honestly dread to think of the hours I could pour into it whilst sunk into the sofa.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BasketSnake

Bought it on switch but I have no idea where to begin to get things going. Best tip is to take your time and just figure it out on your own, right? I'm on the water map.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@inresurrection: if you're not sure what to do, aim to complete some of the community centre quests (so say no to JoJo Mart). This will give you some objectives to try and focus around which might give you a bit more structure to begin with

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I think the first couple weeks of the game do kind of start a little slow, especially if you're new to this genre and aren't familiar with it. I think most people's large term goal (though maybe not everyone's) is just to make an awesome farm -- whatever that means to you -- and discover the surprises the game has in store for you along the way (like relationships and other stuff).

If you're finding yourself totally aimless toward that goal...I'd say focus on making some money in the very early game to open up your options; plant the parsnips they give you for free and go buy some more crops right off the bat with the 500G. Continue to reinvest anything you get into crops the first season or so and spend the rest of your time meeting the villagers, fishing, or clearing out your farm (a level 2 backpack from Pierre is super nice though). Build a chest from the crafting menu so you can store stuff.

Once the ball gets rolling and some other parts of the game open up (community center, mine), you will start to set your own goals pretty quick. At least for me, once money starts becoming a little bit looser, things get really fun. I like starting to plan out my farm from a larger perspective, making things look nice by crafting lighting, stone paths, fences, etc. That, plus increased capacity for crops, animal buildings, upgrading the house/equipment,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.