Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Any tips to stop Steam deleting my Non-Steam Game shortcuts?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

All in the title.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

Report as a bug and hope they fix it?

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I'm assuming you don't close Steam before shutting down your computer?

I had the same issue. Create all your shortcuts, then close Steam yourself either through the system tray icon or via the menu Steam -> Exit. This should save all your shortcuts and they should be there if you open Steam again.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bollard

@dekkadekkadekka: Oh really, can this cause it? Damn Steam. Is this likely to be causing the thing where stuff won't stay in the category I put it in either?

EDIT: It's always strange though when they are fine sitting there for like a month, and then one day I come back and they're gone.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Chavtheworld said:

@dekkadekkadekka: Oh really, can this cause it? Damn Steam. Is this likely to be causing the thing where stuff won't stay in the category I put it in either?

EDIT: It's always strange though when they are fine sitting there for like a month, and then one day I come back and they're gone.

What sits there for a month? The categories or the shortcuts?

The shortcuts I notice going missing immediately if I don't close Steam properly, but I've never had non-Steam shortcuts just up and vanish months down the line. I also don't use categories, so I can't speak to that at all.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bollard

@dekkadekkadekka: Both really. Like I had Trackmania 2 in my library since January or whatever, and today it was just gone, along with Starcraft 2 which had been there for about a week.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I have the same issue with Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3, and Trackmania 2. They each disappear every month or so.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

Given how much time I've spent browsing through folders to add shortcuts to .exes to my Steam Library, I am rather enervated they they have all gone missing.

Fuck. I thought I had I don't know, not added some stuff before or removed it or something shit, but no. This is actually something that the software does. It deletes your shortcuts.

Maybe it has something to do with updates they do to the platform? Maybe major or all updates delete the cached information regarding paths to stuff that should have a shortcut on Steam?

Are there any chances this will get solved soon? Is there a permanent solution?

Avatar image for irrelevant_pelican
    irrelevant_pelican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As far as I've seen, there seems to be no solution to this. I always close Steam properly, it still erases images sometimes. Sometimes just switching from Big Picture to Desktop mode will erase images. It's ridiculous. I think I'll look for another launcher for my games, maybe Hyperspin or Gamex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.