Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Can anyone enlighten me about those Steam characters?

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zonerover

No Caption Provided
    This might be obvius but who exactly are those characters who appear during all the Steam sales? Are they just random? Do they have names? Is the black one evil? I have no idea.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They're trying to be like Bungie.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:

" They're trying to be like Bungie. "

What? Now Im more confused.  

I have no clue where they came from, they're just the Steam Mascots i guess. 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

They're the Steam Mascots and they've actually been around for a while. Also, yes, they do have names:

Bodkins
    Tappet
    CyL

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

They're mascots that never really took off. Just go with the flow.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zonerover
    @Mikemcn said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

What? Now Im more confused.   I have no clue where they came from, their just the Steam Mascots i guess.  "
    I admit I'd like more clarification on the Bungie thing too. But I would have thought Valve would have had some backstory for these mascots since they don't exactly seem like the company to just randomly draw some things and make them consistenly appear in one of their brands.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zonerover
    @BeachThunder said:
    " They're the Steam Mascots and they've actually been around for a while. Also, yes, they do have names:

Bodkins
    Tappet
    CyL "
    Great, so they do have identities. One of the mysteries of the world has been solved.
    MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @zonerover said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    What? Now Im more confused.   I have no clue where they came from, their just the Steam Mascots i guess.  "
    I admit I'd like more clarification on the Bungie thing too. But I would have thought Valve would have had some backstory for these mascots since they don't exactly seem like the company to just randomly draw some things and make them consistenly appear in one of their brands. "
    It's Valve. I wouldn't be surprised.
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazielCuts

Sorry to necro this thread but I've been wondering about this myself for a while, steam sale has come and popped it into my head again. I feel the question didn't really get answered.

No Caption Provided

Who/What/Why/Where/When? Why were they created, was it to give a personality to Steam or the sales themselves? When did they come about? The steam profiles all list as them having joined May 19, 2009, was that the first steam sale? There's a few 'comics' about them, are they user made or did Valve ever do a web comic?

Personally I think the design is pretty poor and sub deviantart inspired and I'm surprised Valve trot them out, especially when they have designers who can come up with designs like these guys -

No Caption Provided

Maybe Valve at times can feel a bit corporate and so these guys are supposed to soften them up a bit but I think they hurt the brand more than anything.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By abdo

I'm guessing May 19th 2009 was when Steam first implemented the community feature, where players could make a profile page, join game groups, etc, and these guys were used as examples for that. Don't know much else though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.