Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam is emptying my wallet

outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By outlaw4020

uhhh so many deals yet so little money.  was going to just get the Company of Heroes pack then saw the THQ pack, wow.  I missed the dragon age sale hopefully it will post again.  BTW i think Valve should make their own console for the next generation and have steam as its platform, wouldn't that be awesome.  No discs, Great deals, Good community platform, Achievements, its all there.  I know, I know wishful thinking. 

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By HellBrendy

A Steamconsole? It sounds terriffic! 

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dipstick
    @outlaw4020 said:
    " uhhh so many deals yet so little money.  was going to just get the Company of Heroes pack then saw the THQ pack, wow.  I missed the dragon age sale hopefully it will post again.  BTW i think Valve should make their own console for the next generation and have steam as its platform, wouldn't that be awesome.  No discs, Great deals, Good community platform, Achievements, its all there.  I know, I know wishful thinking.  "
    " No discs, Great deals, Good community platform, Achievements, its all there.  I know, I know wishful thinking." 

It's called a PC.
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @outlaw4020 said:
    " uhhh so many deals yet so little money.  was going to just get the Company of Heroes pack then saw the THQ pack, wow.  I missed the dragon age sale hopefully it will post again.  BTW i think Valve should make their own console for the next generation and have steam as its platform, wouldn't that be awesome.  No discs, Great deals, Good community platform, Achievements, its all there.  I know, I know wishful thinking.  "
    like a computer with steam installed on it 
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Dipstick said:
    " @outlaw4020 said:
    " No discs, Great deals, Good community platform, Achievements, its all there.  I know, I know wishful thinking."  It's called a PC. "
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

We understand your pain, mein freund.

outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By outlaw4020

@Dipstick: 
      I dont know if you noticed
    PC isn't where the market is.  Everyone as in the Developers are moving towards the consoles due to less piracy, and more sales. Thus SteamConsole

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dipstick
    @outlaw4020 said:
    "  @Dipstick:    I dont know if you noticed PC isn't where the market is.  Everyone as in the Developers are moving towards the consoles due to less piracy, and more sales. Thus SteamConsole "
    Valve is doing very nicely on PC. They have absolutely no reason to waste money (and time) making a console.  
    outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By outlaw4020
    @Dipstick:@Dipstick said:

" @outlaw4020 said:

"  @Dipstick:    I dont know if you noticed PC isn't where the market is.  Everyone as in the Developers are moving towards the consoles due to less piracy, and more sales. Thus SteamConsole "
    Valve is doing very nicely on PC. They have absolutely no reason to waste money (and time) making a console.   "
    Which is why they are making games on consoles and now the ps3 which they have publicly scrutinized the last 3 years, thats why they tried to get steam on the 360 and failed and got steamworks on ps3 now.  so they must be Wasting their time and money right going by your logic.  their is a big market in consoles much bigger then the pc, and thats why they are going after it. 
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dipstick
    @outlaw4020 said:
    " @Dipstick:@Dipstick said:
    " @outlaw4020 said:
    Valve is doing very nicely on PC. They have absolutely no reason to waste money (and time) making a console.   "
    Which is why they are making games on consoles and now the ps3 which they have publicly scrutinized the last 3 years, thats why they tried to get steam on the 360 and failed and got steamworks on ps3 now.  so they must be Wasting their time and money right going by your logic.  their is more money in the consoles, and thats why they are going after it.  "
    I swear to God people don't know what Steam Cloud is. 

It's not the steam client. All it does is friends list and transfers your save from console to PC (and vice-versa)  

Have you seen the differences between the console ports of TF2 and the PC version? The PC version has had 119 (121 if you actually count them) Sounds like "they are going after it" =\
    outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By outlaw4020
    @Dipstick:   Steamworks is not just Steam cloud.  and no where did it state that Valve Favors consoles over PC, but they arent blind and they see where the industry is going, such as them reaching out to sony.

I can only name 1 or two Big time developers that produce exclusively for the PC and that is Blizzard.  Valve does their main studio with PC and sources the ports out to other developers, but now that looks to be changing with portal 2. 
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By time allen

valve are a pc centric company, so if they ever did make a console i'd be pretty surprised. they're making enough money pleasing their pc fans and making ports to console. why they would ever need to downgrade from developing for pc to developing a steam console is beyond me.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Cwaff

I've been fairly good sofar and only bought Zeno Clash... Almost bought other stuff but realised I would never play them.

outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By outlaw4020
    @Toms115: 

your right toms115 but companys always want to make more money.  Im not saying their would be some sort of steam type platform on a console one day but it wouldn't suprise me with the PC market shrinking over time as more and more developers switch their main studio efforts to the console versions and less resources to the PC, with some company's now cutting out the PC all entirely for the console.

Look at Id software, I would have never believe that they are now putting more resources into the console version of RAGE then the pc.  Crytek is doing the same thing with the new crysis game.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By time allen

a lot of the bigger companies are switching to console centric developing because they are afraid that they will not get filthy rich, as opposed to to being in the industry to, you know, entertain people. valve do care about their customers and are loyal to the pc, so i can't see them focusing on consoles more than pc anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

25 Jun 2010Balance at close of day
    $616.03 CR

28 Jun 2010Current Balance
    $212.65 CR

GG Steam, GG.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Gargantuan

Haven't bought anything so far.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Khann said:
    "  
    $616.03 CR

$212.65 CR
        GG Steam, GG. "

Jesus Christ.

This forum thread can be created every month and still apply.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By time allen
    @Khann said:
    "  
    $616.03 CR

$212.65 CR
        GG Steam, GG. "
    looool same here

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.