Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

About modding.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

So I have one TE fightstick that I do not need to mod. Works fine. 

But my SE one has some noticeable differences: buttons aren't as responsive, stick is too clicky, and I was wondering if there is a way to not make the ball roll. 

These are the parts I have my eye on: 

• Sanwa GT-0 Circular Restrictor Plate
    • Sanwa OBSF-30 pushbuttons (does the OBSN threading and mounting nut matter?)
    • Anything that stops that ball from spinning.
    • @lordofultima: mentioned a spring... does that help? (I guess JLF Ultimate it the best? or JLF plus LS-33 together.)
    • anything else necessary?

Seriously, thanks for all the help so far.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Renahzor

All of the joysticks have the balltop that rolls, I dont know of any way to make them not spin, as its actually the entire stick that turns.  there should be any way to change that afaik, I've taken several apart as that's how we installed a few in our customs.  

Springs will change the resistance, I didnt change mine cause it feels fine, but a stiffer spring will make it return to neutral faster and be harder to push to the edge.

I cannot express how much I recommend against circle gates, but to each his own.  I guess you'll play a wicked 'geif.  I had a friend who swore he loved his octo gate, after about a month he went back to a square gate because its actually more functional.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By demontium
    @Renahzor said:

" All of the joysticks have the balltop that rolls, I dont know of any way to make them not spin, as its actually the entire stick that turns.  there should be any way to change that afaik, I've taken several apart as that's how we installed a few in our customs.    Springs will change the resistance, I didnt change mine cause it feels fine, but a stiffer spring will make it return to neutral faster and be harder to push to the edge.  I cannot express how much I recommend against circle gates, but to each his own.  I guess you'll play a wicked 'geif.  I had a friend who swore he loved his octo gate, after about a month he went back to a square gate because its actually more functional. "

I will have my backup gate just in case. 

Sanwa  JLF-TP-8T Ball Handle Joystick, 4 & 8-Way Adjustable is another thing I am getting.  

anthing else you would recommend or recommend against? 

Thanks for the advice. 
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demontium
    @Renahzor: Oh and does the SE stick already come with a spring? if so what kind?
    TJSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TJSmash

The  OBSN can sometimes have issues with fitting a template because of the mounting nuts not having enough space underneath and conflicting with each other.  Usually a little filing can take care of that.  The OBSFs are hassle free though.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
    @TJSmash said:
    " The  OBSN can sometimes have issues with fitting a template because of the mounting nuts not having enough space underneath and conflicting with each other.  Usually a little filing can take care of that.  The OBSFs are hassle free though. "
    Thanks.
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bjorno

try super glue

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By lordofultima

There's no way to stop the ball from spinning since the whole stick spins not just the ball. OBSN's are what I use, but keep in mind I only have the far 6 buttons on my stick. It's the first button on the bottom left (A) that will give you trouble installing because the thread interferes with the mounting bracket. Circular restrictor gives you the smallest range of movement, so you have to pretty much push to the edge all the time, but yeah for gief it would probably be sick. JLF spring + LS-33 creates fantastic tension that I enjoy, it's not super hard but somewhat of a middle ground. I got one after I realized the JLF was way too loose and would cause me to mess up inputs on my TE. Either way, spring is only 99 cents, so it's worth trying it out.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Plasma

I don't understand, If you have a TE stick, why are you now modding your SE? Are they on different platforms?

TJSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TJSmash
    @Plasma said:
    " I don't understand, If you have a TE stick, why are you now modding your SE? Are they on different platforms? "
    He might want 2 sticks in case he has friends over to play.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AniMoney
    @TJSmash said:
    " @Plasma said:
    " I don't understand, If you have a TE stick, why are you now modding your SE? Are they on different platforms? "
    He might want 2 sticks in case he has friends over to play. "
    Jamal doesn't have friends.
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EvilGreenDevil
    @AniMoney said:
    " @TJSmash said:
    " @Plasma said:
    He might want 2 sticks in case he has friends over to play. "
    Jamal doesn't have friends. "
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP 

As for your question, I would also recommend looking into a different spring, sometimes that helps. As for the buttons i can't see why you would stick with the OBSF's....its a perfect fit since thats what the stick came with. Also I  would stick with a square gate or maybe an octo gate. A circular gate though? Unless you main Geif I don't see how this would be helpful but hey everyone has their preference.  

you didn't mention where you're looking to get the parts from but www.lizardlick.com is great. 
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demontium
    @Plasma said:

No me and my brother and friends play a lot, and we wan't a more fair match. 

@lordofultima

said:

" There's no way to stop the ball from spinning since the whole stick spins not just the ball. OBSN's are what I use, but keep in mind I only have the far 6 buttons on my stick. It's the first button on the bottom left (A) that will give you trouble installing because the thread interferes with the mounting bracket. Circular restrictor gives you the smallest range of movement, so you have to pretty much push to the edge all the time, but yeah for gief it would probably be sick. JLF spring + LS-33 creates fantastic tension that I enjoy, it's not super hard but somewhat of a middle ground. I got one after I realized the JLF was way too loose and would cause me to mess up inputs on my TE. Either way, spring is only 99 cents, so it's worth trying it out. "

I am just gonna go with OBSF buttons for my SE 

I tend to like the circular plate more, and if I do not I will have a backup plate. 

Does the SE stick already have a spring in it? Or should I get a JLF + an LS-33?  

EDIT: and do I need a spring cover? Keep in mind I am getting a   Sanwa JLF-TP-8T Joystick
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilGreenDevil
    @demontium said:
    "@Plasma said:

@lordofultima

said:

" There's no way to stop the ball from spinning since the whole stick spins not just the ball. OBSN's are what I use, but keep in mind I only have the far 6 buttons on my stick. It's the first button on the bottom left (A) that will give you trouble installing because the thread interferes with the mounting bracket. Circular restrictor gives you the smallest range of movement, so you have to pretty much push to the edge all the time, but yeah for gief it would probably be sick. JLF spring + LS-33 creates fantastic tension that I enjoy, it's not super hard but somewhat of a middle ground. I got one after I realized the JLF was way too loose and would cause me to mess up inputs on my TE. Either way, spring is only 99 cents, so it's worth trying it out. "

I tend to like the circular plate more, and if I do not I will have a backup plate. 

Does the SE stick already have a spring in it? Or should I get a JLF + an LS-33?  

EDIT: and do I need a spring cover? Keep in mind I am getting a   Sanwa JLF-TP-8T Joystick "

All sticks should have a spring in them. Purchasing a different spring should only increase the resistence of the the stick's "throw" or movement from neutral. Depending on your preference, a tighter spring means a tighter stick. As for a spring cover, I wouldn't really know but my feeling is that they aren't all that inportant.  

Also, I would consider the microswitches in the stick. I forget off-hand what the JLF-TP-8T comes with but when I upgraded my Hori EX2, I picked up some cherry microswitches, very responsive and should give you that added feel you'll get with a tighter spring. But I could be wrong and that joystick comes with them as part of the package.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60

I need to get a stick because I hate using the 360 controller, and I don't really feel like trying to get really good with the controller and would rather just learn to use a stick but I cannot afford one :(

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demontium
    @EvilGreenDevil said:
    " @demontium said:
    "@Plasma said:

@lordofultima

said:

EDIT: and do I need a spring cover? Keep in mind I am getting a   Sanwa JLF-TP-8T Joystick "
    All sticks should have a spring in them. Purchasing a different spring should only increase the resistence of the the stick's "throw" or movement from neutral. Depending on your preference, a tighter spring means a tighter stick. As for a spring cover, I wouldn't really know but my feeling is that they aren't all that inportant.   Also, I would consider the microswitches in the stick. I forget off-hand what the JLF-TP-8T comes with but when I upgraded my Hori EX2, I picked up some cherry microswitches, very responsive and should give you that added feel you'll get with a tighter spring. But I could be wrong and that joystick comes with them as part of the package. "
    I have extra cherry MSs from my friend. I onw how amazing those are.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By yetiantics

So i finally modded the buttons on my TE stick and i broke two of them in the process. mainly trying to unplug the damn things!
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

How did you break them??? They are pretty easy to remove if you have a small and thin flathead screwdriver.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By yetiantics
    @EvilGreenDevil said:
    "

How did you break them??? They are pretty easy to remove if you have a small and thin flathead screwdriver.

"

Not the buttons themselves... more like the plugs that connect the buttons. The plugs on the wires.
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilGreenDevil
    @PantyshotMQN said:
    "@EvilGreenDevil said:
    "

"
    Not the buttons themselves... more like the plugs that connect the buttons. The plugs on the wires. "

Exactly.....you should just use a flathead to slide the quick connects off. You should never pull from the wires because thats how they snap. It's easy to fiix though.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.