Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Any Chance of New Characters?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

I know it's pretty damn early to be thinking this far ahead, but with that "Tournament" patch looming like some sort of mythic beast, does anybody think that Street Fighter IV will ever bring in some new characters?  Yeah, they've got a large cast already, but the more the merrier.
    I heard that they had actually made the models for T. Hawk and Dee Jay, but they were left out of the game for some reason.  I'd certainly like those guys thrown back in, and maybe some Alpha characters.  Guy perhaps?
    What about the Giant Bomb community?  Think it'll happen?  And if so, who do you wanna see in Street Fighter IV?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wow, I'm way behind the times...

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By alexl86

New characters tend to offset the balance of the game, though I'm sure if they're bringing in someone new, they're carefully playtested before they become downloadable.... I don't really see it happen though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike
    alexl86 said:
    "New characters tend to offset the balance of the game, though I'm sure if they're bringing in someone new, they're carefully playtested before they become downloadable.... I don't really see it happen though."
    Unless the characters are already done and balanced and Capcom is just holding onto them in order to sell DLC to us later.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alexl86
    MB said:
    "Unless the characters are already done and balanced and Capcom is just holding onto them in order to sell DLC to us later."
    They could have, but they also included 6 new characters with the home version, I think they'd just put it in if they were going to include anyone else... Maybe that's just me being naive. If they do include more character, they'll probably be from other SF games. They'd also have to redesign the character selection screen to fit in the rest, or do it Akuma style with character specific codes(seems a bit archaic).
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Well I did hear rumors of a SFIV Dash.

I am pretty disappointed with the game itself, like neglecting SFIII's gameplay and its roster. If there is going to be a SFIV Dash, then hopefully Third Strike characters will return to remedy the problem a bit--like this guy.

Q, the master
    Q, the master

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Galrick

The problem here is that unless these new characters are already done and hidden on the disk (which is doubtful), Capcom will have to make them available through a free and mandatory title update. Otherwise it would be matchmaking hell when someone tries to use one of the new characters but the other player doesn't have access to them.

Considering that the game on console isn't even a month old, I don't see that happening any time soon. Eventually perhaps, but not for a bit. Capcom still has plenty of money to make just selling the game and some extra costumes. After that we're likely to see a mandatory patch with a few new modes, followed by a free new stage and then a DLC or two with still more new stages. Then, perhaps... in a year or so... or just before next Christmas perhaps, a free new character. Maybe...

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vision

Having two downloads would fix that problem Galrick

one costs money (i'm fine with free but hey you can't win everytime) with the characters unlocked

and one free which just let's you see the characters but not pick them.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Jordan23

It would be nice to see Guy, Ibuki , and Dee Jay added as new playable characters.

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Hulk

Adon. Adon.  Adon.  But realistically, Dee Jay and T. Hawk should be mandatory at this point since they've actually put in a little work on them and it would complete the ST roster.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix
    Vision said:
    "Having two downloads would fix that problem Galrickone costs money (i'm fine with free but hey you can't win everytime) with the characters unlockedand one free which just let's you see the characters but not pick them."
    You've definitely got something there.  I mean, I haven't unlocked Gouken and Seth, but have played against people who have and whilst I can't pick them, my opponent can.  It would seem they'd just do this, but with dl'able characters.
    I'm not saying that it's gonna happen soon, but Street Fighter II had a million versions of it, some that added new characters, and Street Fighter III had three versions as well.  It would be against tradition character to make Street Fighter IV the ONLY edition of the game.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alexl86

Sure, they could have another version of Street Fighter IV, fixing some balancing issues and adding new characters, but they wouldn't release it for another 12 months at the very least. Also, with dlc, it would be much easier and probably more profitable for Capcom to release DLC instead...

As for the two downloads theory, it's called a patch. Tons of games have already done it(Forza did dlc cars, you could still race online without the dlc). Of course they're gonna patch it if they're releasing dlc.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Reale

capcom love making new editions... so they will probably add two characters per retail box update they decide to spam out... (deejay and T.Hawk aren't  included in the game even though they were completed) so i am assuming capcom will make a championship edition that will include both dj and thawk and the patch and maybe the dlc costumes...

i just hope they release the characters on DLC and have both games compatible with one another as not to fracture the community

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.