Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Will people still play this after Super comes out?

• 66 results
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  

@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates.   I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today). "
    How about this, the regulars on this board will gladly pay 40 this week for it and start the party while you can wait til perhaps the holidays or so when the price would go down to 20 then you can join in on the fun. 
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Necrotrophic

from a programming perspective, making a fighting game seems like a lot more work than other genres. With other genres you can directly control what people can and cant do, but that wont fly with most fighting games. So if you believe that SF4 is where Capcom got it "wrong" then I at least applaud the effort. I dont think they necessarily got it wrong(I dont think they got it completely right either). Everything evolves, fighting games are no different. Im going to hold onto sf4 just for fun. If I get a request to play someone itll be there. Itll be weird because ive spent almost 600 hours with the game. Its hard to fathom that I really wont be playing it much after Tuesday...

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By KingBroly

I think it really depends on whether or not it's ruled as a general improvement overall.  Some people still prefer Melee to Brawl because of all the anti-competitive things about Brawl.  While some will continue to play SF4, it really depends on how it's viewed at a competitive level.  I also see a lot of casual players going into SSF4 from SF4 and hating SSF4, so they'll continue to play SF4.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Ben_H

I'm moving to Super, but then I didn't start SF4 until a few months back.  I'm also picking up a stick tomorrow so I can start learning when I start out Super.  I think I may go almost exclusively Guile for online, instead of splitting between him and Sagat like I currently do.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Scooper

I don't think I'll ever play SFIV again when I get Super. I'll still keep the game though.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @AlwaysAngry: 
    The hardcore players will all move onto SSF4 while the people that aren't super serious will stay with SF4. That actually makes me want to buy the original and play some online now that the elite players will be moving on. ]

I'd say there will be plenty of people still on SF4.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By lordofultima
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  

@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates.   I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today). "
    I think it's worth 60 dollars, it's a whole new game. Would it please you if it was just 40 dollar DLC and 6 gigs in size? SFIV was not made to be reverse-engineered, so they would basically have to patch you a whole new game. The episodes of liberty city is not worth near this much. I beat TBOGT in like 8 hours. I played SFIV for 1000+ hours.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Probally not.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By AniMoney

I will probably play SF4 like once several years down the line just for the nostalgia. But other than that, no. I (and most people) are moving on to super.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By mazik765
    @Gellrock:  It's true, Toad always gets da bitches.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @AlwaysAngry:  The hardcore players will all move onto SSF4 while the people that aren't super serious will stay with SF4. That actually makes me want to buy the original and play some online now that the elite players will be moving on. ]  I'd say there will be plenty of people still on SF4. "
    That's was I was thinking, more casual people and not all the hardcore players, but everybody else is saying no :( 

Although, most of these people have Street Fighter avatars...
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#62  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @AlwaysAngry:  The hardcore players will all move onto SSF4 while the people that aren't super serious will stay with SF4. That actually makes me want to buy the original and play some online now that the elite players will be moving on. ]  I'd say there will be plenty of people still on SF4. "
    That's was I was thinking, more casual people and not all the hardcore players, but everybody else is saying no :(  Although, most of these people have Street Fighter avatars... "
    Yeah most of the people that roam the SF4 and SSF4 forums on GB play a lot, which makes sense. If you aren't into high level competition, I have to imagine there will be lots of people like you still playing the original.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By newhaap
    @ChineseTea said:

" @AlwaysAngry: Because IV wasn't programmed with this kind of added content in mind. " 

@AlwaysAngry said: 

" @ChineseTea: Huh? That was clear as mud to me. "

I think ChineseTea was referring to the fact that the developers have to design the game to support DLC from the very beginning of the development stage, and that Capcom didn't do it. That's why they can't release Super as a DLC. 
    I do think the scope of Super is too large for it to be a DLC though, since it won't only tack on new content, but also modifies existing stuff (art, animation, moves etc for existing characters) to make them work with the new stuff.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @TheGreatGuero said:

Hehe, I remember back in SNES days when my parents got me Street Fighter II.  Then eventually Street Fighter II was released and further more, Super Street Fighter II was then released.  I couldn't buy games on my own & I just stuck with Street Fighter II and envied those who had Super SFII LOL!

I guess from a standpoint of actually considering all the work that was needed to be done to sort of "re-work" Street Fighter IV, it cost a lot of money for Capcom to make Super.  Aside from Super being gigabytes worth of download if it becomes DLC, I think it will still be worth $40 even if it did become a DLC with all the additions and changes done to the game.  And we also need to consider that the costs to make Super does not just pertain to development, but also the careful research, feedback review, design & tons of testing.  I guess it was like making a new game for Capcom, maybe that's why it's $40, and the sort of $20 off from the usual $60 price of a game, it's like the discount for re-using the same basic system for the game. :)

As for the balancing and tweaks, IMHO, it wasn't a mistake that Capcom should have gotten right the first time.  There was actually nothing wrong with SF4, the changes they made for the release of Super was based on their audiences and players' feedback.  It was what the fans demanded, and thus, Capcom gave them what they wanted, with a price of course hehe!  And since they will be developing anyway to make the game better, why not make more changes & include additions & make it more marketable for fans & sell it to them so Capcom can earn more money to produce Street Fighter V. :)
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I expect a mass exodus, but the hardcore will still be around.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Stang said:

We  are not paying for them "fixing their mistakes." There were no mistakes in IV. Some balancing issues, yes, but that happens in all games. We are paying $40 for basically a new game. If you feel all this is only worth $20, then that is fine. Most of us are more then happy forking over $40 though. "

I'm not bitter about buying SSF4 in the least, but not having lobbies in SFIV goes beyond mistake into "giant fuckup" territory.  Name one other modern console fighter that didn't allow more two people to play?  Freaking HYPER FIGHTING on XBLA had this feature!  "Mistake" is an understatement.

But like I said, not bitter about buying SSF4.  The improvements will absolutely make it worth the money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.