Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D Land

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 03, 2011

Super Mario 3D Land blends elements of 2D and 3D Mario platformers, making it distinct from both parts of the franchise.

Doesn't feel right...but they have time to work on it

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

I played the game today at E3. Like others have said, the game feels like a slow hybrid of Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros. It feels strange to have to hold down a button to run, because in games like Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy, there is no run button, you just use the analog stick. 

Also, what is the point of the tanooki suit if you can't fly or turn into a statue? Isn't that what fans remember the suit for? That being said, almost any lesser Mario game is still better than 90% of video games out there.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Nintendo have been innovating Mario back to its side scrolling basics since Sunshine did not so hot.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

@HandsomeDead said:

Nintendo have been innovating Mario back to its side scrolling basics since Sunshine did not so hot.

You're forgetting about a couple of Galaxy games, there.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Hailinel said:

@HandsomeDead said:

You're forgetting about a couple of Galaxy games, there.

Those tiny levels where you practically run in a straight line weren't exactly a step up from the open exploration of 64 and Sunshine.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro

Huh, I absolutely loved it. Each to their own tastes I suppose... 

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180
    @HandsomeDead: Ummm there was some small planets but also some huge ones and you was jumping around to all different ones during the stage. Plus I was usually not just running in a straight line. Galaxy was probably the best Mario game there has ever been.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By The_Nubster
    @craigbo180 said:
    @HandsomeDead: Ummm there was some small planets but also some huge ones and you was jumping around to all different ones during the stage. Plus I was usually not just running in a straight line. Galaxy was probably the best Mario game there has ever been.
    I think what he meant was the guided levels, unlike in Super Mario 64 and Sunshine where you were tossed into an open level and you could get any Star/Shine you wanted, regardless of which one you chose. Galaxy was a lot tighter, though, and definitely a quality-ass game, no doubt about that.
    captaincool246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By captaincool246

i personally think most new mario games feel abit weird but nintendo still makes them more playible than most shooters and other popular games out their plus the fun factor is whats gonna draw people a mario game is supposed to be at its core the perfict blend of fun and challenge that draws you back again and again  if they fail to do that then their implementing a new formula that wont be successful but the reason why it fees like a blend of other recent mario titles is cause it probibly is nintendo cares about their fans WAAY more than sony or microsoft so they keep the nostalgia alive

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft

I liked mario sunshine almost as much as 64 or even the galaxy games, im looking forward to seeing what they do on the 3ds

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.