Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D Land

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 03, 2011

Super Mario 3D Land blends elements of 2D and 3D Mario platformers, making it distinct from both parts of the franchise.

Super Mario 3D Land Review Thread

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

Looks like the review embargo has lifted for Super Mario 3D Land. Copy and pasted from the Metacritic page. Reviews go!

1. Nov 10, 2011
      Is it more imaginative than Super Mario Galaxy? No. Will it revolutionize gaming like Super Mario 64. Hardly. Do either of these questions matter? Absolutely not, and don't let anyone prove otherwise. Super Mario 3D Land is the epitome of fun. Most importantly, it's a shining example of everything that's good and wholesome about video games.
    2. Nov 9, 2011
      I'm literally floored by how much I enjoyed it, and I find it quickly rising in the ranks as one of my favorite Super Mario titles.
    3. Nov 9, 2011
      The tired, princess-saving formula never seems to change, but somehow Nintendo makes every visit to the Mushroom Kingdom feel like the first time.
    4. 95
      EAD Tokyo's 3DS debut is marvelous, and filled with almost endless creativity.
    5. Nov 9, 2011
      With an expertly balanced difficulty progression, dazzling level design and masterful Power-Ups, this is the ideal 3DS experience...As a whole, 3D Land is brilliant and addictive, and should do for 3D-enhanced platforming what the original Super Mario Bros. did for 2D platforming. If you own a 3DS system, you have no choice - you simply must own this game.
    6. Nov 9, 2011
      Super Mario 3D Land isn't perfect, but the few complaints I have (like the lack of variety in boss fights and some re-hashed levels) can't bring down this entertaining mix of nostalgia and innovation. It lives up to the level of quality set by previous entries and is easily the best reason to own a 3DS.
    7. Nov 10, 2011
      Super Mario 3D Land proves that there is still an innovative direction that platforming can take even after the constant innovation seen throughout the history of Mario. This game may not be as creative as Galaxy (really what is?) but the different camera perspectives and depth based gameplay, along with all sorts of platforming styles meshed into one game make for a worthy Mario title for the 3DS.
    8. Conflicted throughout, but still an undeniable 3DS achievement. Wait for it to get its act together and the game soars. Well, flutters.
    9. Nov 10, 2011
      Super Mario 3D Land is indeed a wonderful debut on Nintendo 3DS. The 3D effect is fine and helpful because of some camera issues. Mario fans will love this new experience because of the very cool retro elements.
    10. Nov 10, 2011
      You could wish for 3D Land to be a little more challenging in places, then, but you couldn't wish for it to be any denser, any more imaginative, or any more daring. Most importantly, you couldn't wish for it to be any more playful.
    11. Nov 9, 2011
      A step back and a leap forward. As a gateway drug for those reluctant to embrace Mario in three dimensions, Super Mario 3D Land should be a huge success.
    12. Though it falls slightly short compared to other Mario titles (aka some of the greatest games ever made), it's certainly a release worthy of the character's legacy. It expertly builds on franchise history, has tons of clever ideas, and even with the rare control hang-ups, it stands tall in the realm of 3D platformers, especially compared to the paltry library of games the 3DS currently has.
    13. Nov 9, 2011
      3D Land is a grabby borrower of a game - enemies from Mario 3, music from 2006's New Super Mario Bros., gameplay from Galaxy. Eventually it starts borrowing from itself. It's an excellent game because all of these things work so well together; the only thing keeping it from perfection is that it cries out for more innovations to call its own.
    14. Nov 9, 2011
      And while it takes a while to build up, and lacks the rich variety of secrets you know from games like Mario 3 and Super Mario World, Super Mario 3D Land eventually becomes a demandingly hardcore, addictive platformer. It's also easily the most beautiful game on the 3DS, and one of the best-looking Mario games.
    15. Nov 9, 2011
      It's impossible not to be impressed by the vast number of classic Super Mario elements that have been squeezed into the package, especially given how fresh they all look and feel in their new 3D presentation. If you've been looking for a reason to pick up a 3DS, you've just found it.
    16. Nov 8, 2011
      Really though, Super Mario 3D Land is a triple-A title, and as good a reason as you'll ever have for picking up a Nintendo 3DS if you haven't already. [Nov 2011, p.70]
    17. Nov 9, 2011
      3D Land is a game in which Nintendo shows other developers how they've been doing it wrong since the 3DS launched, and provides a template from which future games ought to be built.
    18. Nov 2, 2011
      The excellent platforming and the 3D images ensure a creative mixture between the old and new Mario. Maybe a less agile Mario than we're used to, but that has it's charm in some ways. Thanks to the extremely varied environments and the succesful usage of 3D, Super Mario 3D Land is by far the best Mario game for the 3DS.
    19. 84
      The levels are incredibly fun to play, but there are omissions likely to leave Mario fans shaking their heads.
    20. Nov 9, 2011
      Super Mario 3D Land's playful reverence for (and references to) the 8-bit days reminds us that Super Mario Bros. 3 truly was an amazing game, but it does so at the expense of its own identity. I have a hard time imagining that, 20 years from now, Nintendo's designers will be looking back at 3D Land as a template for a new game the way 3D Land builds on Mario 3's iconography. Ultimately, that's the difference between a good Mario game and a great one.
    21. Nov 10, 2011
      What Super Mario 3D Land does get right is what every Mario game gets right: a high benchmark for quality that virtually no other platform game series seems capable of matching. There's a level of humour, invention and a sheer sense of joy that you only find in a Mario game.
    22. Nov 10, 2011
      It homes in, with a clockmaker's precision and a playful gleam in its eye, on what Mario does best.
    23. Nov 10, 2011
      Exactly what the 3DS needed to reenergise its fortunes and restate its purpose, and even if it's not as good as Galaxy it's still the best portable Mario since the Game Boy.
    24. Nov 9, 2011
      Super Mario 3D Land eases you in with creative level design and tight controls while leaving plenty of challenging content to be discovered.
    25. Nov 10, 2011
      Quotation forthcoming.
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bwheeeler

"I'm literally floored by how much I enjoyed it"

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Great, another Mario game.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117
    @MagikOvenMit said:

"I'm literally floored by how much I enjoyed it"

What, you've never fell down from enjoyment of a video game before?
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

This would probably be the game to finally make me give in and get a 3DS but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Cincaid

@AlmostSwedish said:

Though in this one Princess Peach kidnaps Bowser so Waluigi must save him.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Julmust

First or second Jim Sterling review I actually liked.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@Cincaid said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Though in this one Princess Peach kidnaps Bowser so Waluigi must save him.

Sadly, I don't think that even that could get me interested in the series again.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By MormonWarrior

XGN's review makes no sense. "Super Mario 3D Land is by far the best Mario game for the 3DS." Uh...there are other Mario games on the 3DS? There will be, sure, but I'm pretty sure this is the first. Idiots.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Updated the table.

washingmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By washingmachine

Yay! A great original game to get for my 3DS.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By VicRattlehead

sweet ill probably pick this up when i go get that awesome looking zelda 3ds...... so many god dam well games to play

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJOR64

Thread updated.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishinfoulux

Gamespot review was such a joke.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Julmust

@Contro: Yeah, that was something I also reacted to. I played a couple of levels on a demo-station and the 3D really added to stuff that I played at least. I haven't played the game yet, but when other reviews say the opposite and when I personally felt the same way by just playing the game for like 10 minutes, something seems a bit off.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Table updated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@AlmostSwedish said:

Great, another guy thinking he's clever by posting his indifference in a thread dedicated to the game in a forum dedicated to the game.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@Hailinel said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Great, another guy thinking he's clever by posting his indifference in a thread dedicated to the game in a forum dedicated to the game.

Fair enough. Although I would say the term "disapointment" is more accurate than "indifference".

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By supermonkey122

@AlmostSwedish said:

Another great Mario game.

Fixed

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By TehFlan
    @supermonkey122 said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Fixed

Well played, sir.  

Looking forward to playing this. I'll probably pick it up when I buy Skyward Sword next week.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By JonathanMoore

Eh, looks like Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros had a lovechild. Not my bag... especially the NSMB side.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Julmust

Hmm, will Jeff review this or what?

xJollyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xJollyx

This game is fucking awesome. It plays nothing like NSMB. It feels completely different from other Mario games... I'm almost finished with this game (on world 8) and although it's fairly short, every level feels unique and I'll also go on to say that this game features some of the best level design yet. The 3D is also used perfectly. It enhances the game and doesn't feel tacked on (as it was in OoT).

I've heard there's a secret after you complete the main game which adds much more content... if true, that's great. But I already feel like I got my money's worth.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

I predict a 4/5.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By me3639

During the QL the level with the panels that flip when you jump looked exactly like the level in SMG 2. It's a Nintendo thing.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By liako21

just bought it. im glad to hear about the past world 8 second quest type thing. cant wait to play it!!!

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By awadnin

@supermonkey122 said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Fixed

This.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Haziqonfire

This game is super addictive..

jetpackbobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jetpackbobby

I picked this up yesterday and am really enjoying it so far. Only the second 3DS game I've played as I've mostly been catching up on DS titles. Really happy to play something that makes use of the 3D capability.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFlan said:

@supermonkey122 said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Fixed

Well played, sir. Looking forward to playing this. I'll probably pick it up when I buy Skyward Sword next week.

Goddammit....

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@GetEveryone said:

@TehFlan said:

@supermonkey122 said:

@AlmostSwedish said:

Fixed

Well played, sir. Looking forward to playing this. I'll probably pick it up when I buy Skyward Sword next week.

Goddammit....

Cheer up. It was a nice attempt.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By liako21

just came in the mail. the game looks great and plays great. i am blowin past the first couple of levels but it should pick up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.