Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

I've got couple of questions that need answering.

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By corgorav

Yup, I've got two questions about this game and I'd appreciate it if someone who has played this could enlighten me.

How much do they reuse art assets for the planets and galaxies from SMG? The first game had like the bee themed galaxies, the beach/hawaii style ones, I guess ice/lava ones, those Bowser jr. airship stages and so on. So yeah, are there lots of new themes for galaxies and planets?

Also, how much of the levels are in that side-scrolling perspective? I'm asking because personally I want my 3d mario games to be from behind-yer-back 3rd person perspective so yeah I'm hoping those are real minority.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

I have only seen worlds 1 and 2, so my answers may change when I've seen the entirety of the game:

1. Not much. Every galaxy is themed differently from the other. Though there are of course reused assets. I have only seen 1 planet that was very similar to one in SMG1, reused with a twist.
    2. A quarter maybe?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

1. They might reuse a fair amount of assets, but it really hasn't come to my attention all that often.  Really the game is more about the shapes of the lands, but you will see familiar enemies, those bee hive honey walls, those crystals you spin to break...

2. From what I've seen so far (world 5 now), I'd say it's about 1/8th side scrolling type.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I'm in World 5 right now and I did play a bee themed level which used the same song from the first game, but slightly different sounding, a beach/water level, and a ice/lava level.  They are completely new levels though, just with similar themes.

As for the side-scrolling parts, I've done some levels with it used.  So far it's been mainly the 3D stuff.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By linkster7

1. Many of the same themes from the first. But every time I go into a world worried about it being to similar to something in the first one, it smacks me over the head with it's great new level designs.

2.  Not that much 2d, and when it is, it usually blends it together with 3d in some way. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai

The themes are pretty similar for most of the galaxies, but about 90% of the game is pretty much new, might even be more. 

As for the side-scrolling, I actually feel like there's more 2D and over-the-top platforming this time around, but the overwhelming majority of it is from the standard 3D perspective.

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By corgorav

Thanks for all the answers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.