Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Land

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 21, 1989

Princess Daisy of Sarasaland has been kidnapped by the evil alien Tatanga and it's up to Mario to rescue her in this handheld platformer (and launch title) for the original Game Boy.

Super Mario Land on 3DS VC = Hell yeah!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

The waves of nostalgia, they nourish me.

I bought Super Mario Land from the 3DS eShop tonight. It's probably been over fifteen or sixteen years since I last played it, but I've still got the touch, apparently, as I proceeded to beat it in less than an hour. There were parts of that game that I frankly forgot existed, but the moment I saw them, the memories came running right back. This game blew my mind when I was a little kid, and it's still fun now despite its simplicity. And the 3DS does a good job of emulating the game, too.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

Super Mario Land 2 is where it's at, yo.

The only thing I remember from SML is that the first level song was... weird. Not good or bad, just weird. I don't know how else to put it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I had to replace my old broken phone, and I bought an Xperia Play- I put all of the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on it- it's pretty neat that they run properly and have the right controls- I've been digging into a ton of old games- it's like, I'm curious, how was that GB port of MKII? Let's check it out!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

@TooWalrus: ...legally?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64
    @TooWalrus said:

I had to replace my old broken phone, and I bought an Xperia Play- I put all of the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on it- it's pretty neat that they run properly and have the right controls- I've been digging into a ton of old games- it's like, I'm curious, how was that GB port of MKII? Let's check it out!

All the MK games on GB and GBC are garbage.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

@JJOR64: GBA ones as well

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@TooWalrus said:

...You're comparing illegal ROM emulation to this?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

@Hailinel: Yes, because with games this old, legal emulation and illegal emulation are almost identical when it comes to quality.

@AuthenticM: No, not legally. Right now, with the exception of Mario Land and Links Awakening (which I'm totally going to buy when I get my 3DS for Luigi's Mansion 2) there is no way for me to give my money to Nintendo to play those old Gameboy games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@TooWalrus said:

@Hailinel: Yes, because with games this old, legal emulation and illegal emulation are almost identical when it comes to quality.

@AuthenticM: No, not legally. Right now, with the exception of Mario Land and Links Awakening (which I'm totally going to buy when I get my 3DS for Luigi's Mansion 2) there is no way for me to give my money to Nintendo to play those old Gameboy games.

If you must know, the emulation is spot-on.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By CABBAGES

I bought super mario land on 3ds but I would say gameboy emulation on my xperia play is alot better.
    Nintendo and other companys need to release most if not all of their old games when they bring out things like virtual console.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Julmust

I just beat this shit and hooked up my 3DS to my stereo so now I can listen to that sweet ass credit music all day. It's so fucking great. Game is still fun after all these years and the music in the first half of the game is outstanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I love Super Mario Land but it feels like it wasn't meant to be a Mario game.  You spend the game battling monsters that have yet to be seen in other Mario games like Sphinxes and witches.  The end boss much like Wart has yet to be seen in another Mario game (I believe it was an alien).  There were also two shooter stages.  Plus the weirdest thing of all is that Koopa Troopers just explode after you jump on them.   
    Maybe this game was originally going to be Doki Doki Panic Land.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By yoshimitz707

You beat it in an hour! Man, I'm still stuck on 3-1.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

@Hailinel: How much is this? I'm going out to get a 3DS today and I won't be getting any retail games until Ocarina comes out I guess. Anything else worth getting on the E-Store?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@Afroman269 said:

@Hailinel: How much is this? I'm going out to get a 3DS today and I won't be getting any retail games until Ocarina comes out I guess. Anything else worth getting on the E-Store?

Super Mario Land is $3.99. As for the other VC games on the service at this point, Alleyway and Radar Mission are both $2.99. Link's Awakening DX is $5.99.

As far as other games to get, most of the DSiWare back-catalogue is in the shop as well. Some of the featured standouts you can currently find without having to perform a search include Cave Story, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Dr. Mario Express, and Plants vs. Zombies. Prices vary for each.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#16  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Hm, anyone else manage to unlock hard mode? not appearing for me after finishing it.

Edit: nvm, the cursor changes from a mushroom to Mario's face ;p

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I didn't notice a hard mode, hell I don't even remember a hard mode, my memory is so patchy.

Hehe

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.