Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Maker

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 11, 2015

This Nintendo Wii U game lets players make their own levels based on four different Super Mario Bros. games, with a deep level of customization and built-in level sharing systems to let other players enjoy their work.

Butt Stomps 2K15, or, How Watching Patrick Klepek Play Mario Maker Helped Me Face The Day

RhymesMcFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RhymesMcFist

Today was the latest in a long string of days where getting out of bed didn't seem like it would make much of a difference in how my day went. When you graduate college and quit your "i'm just doing this to pay for college" job, there's nothing holding you back but your self - or, to be more accurate, your depression, or whatever. I'll figure it out. The point is, I didn't feel much like getting up today. Then, I saw Patrick's tweet about playing Mario Maker. Catching a Patrick stream or video in the morning - whether it's Bombin the AM, Three Beers Deep (where he once gave an awesome answer to my question about post-graduation life), etc - is usually a surefire way to get me movin. I literally leapt out of bed, turned on my computer, and started watching. I came in when someone in the chat suggested a level their nine year old son made (they might have a future in game design, by the way), and was popping in and out as I started my day.Then, I came back, and Patrick had started a maniacal wall-jumping based level that looked to test his skills and patience.

Patrick, like a lot of my friends who play, are great at getting into games like Spelunky and Dark Souls that ask for your patience while you learn their systems, their tricks, and eventually, their triumphs. I am...less great. I like a good bit of tactical strategy, have no problems with escapist fun, but I'm usually in it for the lore, the immersion, the role playing. It's easier for me to invest in stories than it is skill. Some couch competitive games definitely grab me - Samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, Money Idol Exchange. You know, the Big Three. But as much as I want to experience the worlds of Souls games, I quit before I even start because I know it's inevitable. The god damn point is, I would have given up on this level.

But Scoops refused to give up. He realized the butt stomp could get him through a tricky spot. He kept going. He found the next trouble area - the chat declared this level his Everest. One guy insisted the level was easy and flipped out when Patrick goofed on that. The music bore into our brains, he began to slip on early parts that once came easy, but Mario kept running back in for more. I was invested. And the thought crept in my head - what if he doesn't make it? Then I had to answer a quick phone call, and when I came back, he had realized he needed to return to the patented butt stomp technique. It all happened so fast. He made the jump. He cleared the koopa, hopped three musical blocks, and he reached the end. The jubilation you hear as Scoops cheers and begins chanting "Butt Stomps" needs to be experienced firsthand. Patrick thanked the chat, left an inspirational message, and asked for suggestions for us to play, together.

What I'm saying is, if you've got giving up on the mind, remember the butt stomps. Remember that Scoops has let nothing beat him - Spelunky, Dark Souls, and all these insane Mario Maker levels. Remember that if you strive to create joyful things, people will support you. Most of all, remember this, carved by Patrick Klepek on the peak of his success -

"this is my everast and i did it bury me with me money"

I think I'm gonna go get some work done. Then, I just might boot up Dark Souls.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Aww, that's nice to hear! Go beat Dark Souls and have a lovely weekend.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for writing this.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always been more of a Spookin' with Scoops guy, but Patrick continues to provide one of, if not the, most engaging one man streams, regardless of what games he is playing. I kinda wish he'd dip back into playing full horror games, a la The Blair Witch Project and Outlast, but I still always enjoy his non-horror, non-endurance run videos.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This was very nice to you to write, and yea its actually pretty true, that watching Scoopz never give up on levels that are challenging but doable. is encouraging.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

@patrickklepek said:

Thank you for writing this.

I didn't know you were still allowed on here. It's ok, I won't tell anyone.

PS Are you going to be streaming Until Dawn? I've watched 2 and am pretty hooked on watching other people make fatal decisions.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek: Do you make any levels? I was looking to add you on there.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh hey, didn't know Patrick was doing these. I might have to watch some of the archives. :)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hassun
    FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, i fucking love Scoops.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

What a great guy. This is a lovely article, thanks for sharing! I've definitely been enjoying Patrick's video content, he's still extremely capable of putting on a fun and thoughtful one-man show.

TheRikerLean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great post and keep on trucking duder! Also I need to replace my gamepad ac cable so I can pick up Mario Maker ASAP

RhymesMcFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I might start live streaming Dark Souls if I can get streaming set up on my computer and rope my friend into skyping in and telling me what the hell I should even be doing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.