Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Maker

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 11, 2015

This Nintendo Wii U game lets players make their own levels based on four different Super Mario Bros. games, with a deep level of customization and built-in level sharing systems to let other players enjoy their work.

How optional should red coins/keys be?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

So yesterday Nintendo announced red coins and keys were coming to SMM. Both allow for doors which cannot be opened until they are unlocked. The pitch is for allowing more structured levels where you have to collect stuff or kill stuff to proceed but I'm thinking they could be viable simply as collectibles.

I'm making an 8 world saga soon and if I could use there coins and keys as kremcoin and DK coin proxies thoughout the 32 levels that'd be really cool I think. Only concern I have is that if they don't unlock anything people will be confused. If they do that's an extra door and level space that needs to be used in every level which could be detrimental if I'm using doors to reset things. Then again a "hidden door" could be a cool thing to hide in every level. But does that read as secret door or does that read as non optional door which ll frustrate people?

What do you guys think? What do you makers plan?

SuperGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Having you collect them to access a secret area might be nice, but it depends on how good the 'secret' is or, like you say, some might find it frustrating. Unless you can somehow make them lead you to a secret exit which is either easier or cooler in some way. You can now add a mandatory boss battle to the end of each of your worlds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.