Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Does anyone here use assist mode?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does anyone here use assist mode? (68 votes)

Yep. Why not? 12%
    No. I like to eke out whatever challenge there is. 88%

I'm just curious. I haven't started playing the game yet, but my brother is right now and he's using assist mode because there is no penalty. I am not sure I want to play on it myself, but I might. Anyone else do it, or is this one of those 'I'm not a baby, that's too easy' kind of things? You get regen health, and when you fall off a cliff to your doom you only lose health instead of dying. Just curious what you guys are playing on, and whether you think it really matters. Does it really detract anything from the experience other than slightly more challenge?

• 
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nicksmi56

Nah. 3D Mario games are my completionist games, where I go out of my way to get absolutely everything in the game, no exceptions. One of the things I love most about them is using my brain and skills to overcome what they throw at me and figuring out where they hide the more secret stars. So I would never use guiding arrows or eliminate the possibility of dying. It wouldn't feel like Mario if I did.

That bring said, I totally see why people would use it (especially younger kids who just want to see the world rather than die repeatedly on a hard star), so I continue to applaud Nintendo for their accessibility options. Personally I think more games could benefit from modes like this.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I already think it's kind of a bummer that recent 3D Mario games tend to hide all the reasonably challenging parts in the back third of the game that usually opens up after you "beat" it. I'm certainly not going to make the game any easier than it already is.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

I'm not going to but it's good that the option is there for people! Let's be honest, it's not like death has ever really meant anything in these games anyway.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@imhungry said:

I'm not going to but it's good that the option is there for people! Let's be honest, it's not like death has ever really meant anything in these games anyway.

I do like that they got rid of the lives system (finally) and just dock you a few coins when you die (seems to be about 1% of your total, which can certainly add up if you die over and over). At least there's somewhat of an incentive to avoid death now since coins do have some value, unlike past games where losing lives meant absolutely nothing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting to play the game in this mode, nor play on co-op, but I'm actually going through it with my brother, and to be frank, it makes it even easier! This is one thing that I think Dan is somewhat wrong on, just in how it's less interesting than Galaxy's. I mean, I agree that not everyone would want to control the hat; I certainly wouldn't, but if you're someone that doesn't mind simply helping while tagging along on the adventure with someone else, it's fun I think. We're almost at 200 stars; just collecting each one possible in each stage before moving on. We're currently on the Lost Kingdom stage. The only downside to me about the assist mode is that it shows 'assist mode' on the bottom right of the screen, and it always sucks when unnecessary things are on the screen. I also initially didn't like the arrows, but they're fine now I guess.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

No, but we did die a lot during an easy invisible block sequence and the game decided to suddenly line all the invisible blocks with coins which felt like Nintendo taking pity on us.
    Which was funny but also maybe a little patronizing.
    It was a super-easy part of the game and we were just messing, I swear..

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't pick any answer in the poll. I won't be above it, if i ever hit a dead end or something is going to annoy me i could see my self turning it on for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.