Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Metroid

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 19, 1994

Super Metroid is the third game in the Metroid series and the only Metroid game to be released on the Super Nintendo. It has become widely revered for its gameplay, atmosphere, and environmental storytelling, and continues to inspire many action-adventure games.

Does this still hold up?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

I know many people claim this is literally the best game of all time, but as a kid, I never played it, simply due to pre internet times.

These sort of games arent usually my bag, but I just beat SOTN and absolutely loved it.

Can anyone suggest me playing this, and any advice of sorts?

Thanks!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

I love SoTN but I never really got into this as aiming that bloody gun never worked out with me. Plus I never figured out how to open doors until an hour later. Overall, it's a pretty game with a cool soundtrack but I didn't play more then 2 hours of it. I don't think I'll be going back either. I prefer SoTN but then again that game's on a different a platform from a different time. I recommend that you play it on an emulator or something like that.

Edit: You shoot the doors to open them. Different coloured doors means different weapon types. Personally I don't like this as it seems like an almost neanderthalic approach to opening a door in the far future but who am I to argue with video game logic?

Edit again: Just so you know, I've played SoTN over 8 times. Plus I only started playing Super Metroid a few months ago. Still didn't get into it.

Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scorpinox

Yes,it does.I've only played it on the Wii virtual console after playing the Prime games,and it holds up like Symphony of the Night does.I also hadn't played Symphony of the Night until it was released on the XBLA. 

If you're worried about how the original Metroid is,then just ignore the original.If you've played Metroid Fusion,then you know exactly what Super Metroid plays like.If you haven't played Metroid Fusion,then I highly recommend it even before Super Metroid.....but either way,you should love both of them if you enjoy Symphony of the Night this long after its original release.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I love SoTN but I never really got into this as aiming that bloody gun never worked out with me. Plus I never figured out how to open doors until an hour later. Overall, it's a pretty game with a cool soundtrack but I didn't play more then 2 hours of it. I don't think I'll be going back either. I prefer SoTN but then again that game's on a different a platform from a different time. I recommend that you play it on an emulator or something like that.  Edit: You shoot the doors to open them. Different coloured doors means different weapon types. Personally I don't like this as it seems like an almost neanderthalic approach to opening a door in the far future but who am I to argue with video game logic?  Edit again: Just so you know, I've played SoTN over 8 times. Plus I only started playing Super Metroid a few months ago. Still didn't get into it. "
    Yeah, I beat SotN the other day, and adored it. Music was stunning.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Fallen189: In that case, you'll probably like the arranged versions of the songs, this one in particular is my favourite;

On topic, I'm surprised you havn't got many replies yet since Super Metroid's pretty popular around here. Where is everyone?...

Despite what I said earlier I'll give it a whirl anyway, it's probably just me but I thought it was pretty "meh" overall. Maybe I would've liked it a lot more if I played it 10 years ago or so but...
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

If you read my gamespot review ....

No Caption Provided
    Its one of my favorite games of all time . Btw i made this when i was a little fanboy lol xD
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Scooper

It's a fantastic game and still easily holds up today. Like I said on an old thread I made I wish they made a high res 3d version ala Bionic Commando Rearmed but the old SNES version still is great. I played through it earlier this year because I never played it as a kid and loved it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By yakov456

It holds up dude, believe me. I may have to break out the SNES and pop it in now. And by the way, SM's music is not too shabby as well.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JazGalaxy

You'll probably need to keep in mind that Symphony of The Night got most of it's cues from Metroid. If you look at it the other way some areas of metroid might seem "wrong" or "ripoffs" to you. You'll be surprised how similar they are. 

That being said... Metroid is a different game, but it holds up just as well in my opinion. 

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By eirikr
    @Fallen189: I've you've never played it before, I guess it's easy to assume that since it was the antecedent, SM will seem inferior to SotN. Aside from a couple things, that's really not the case. Besides both being, uh, "Metroidvanias" they really don't play much alike, since Samus plays a lot faster and shoots things.

SotN beats out SM in the control department (Alucard is much smoother and less floaty than Samus) and by having teleporters. However, backtracking really isn't much of an issue in SM, since its real strength is stage design that opens up new alternate routes through previous areas with newly acquired abilities. It really was the pinnacle of such design in that era. 

So yeah, SM still holds up very well. It oozes atmosphere with great sound design, can play at quite a fast pace at times, and it's just fun as hell to try and use Samus's abilities to sequence break. SM's exploration aspect is probably more rewarding than SotN's, since a lot of the stuff Alucard finds is often pretty useless. When you find a new Energy Tank in SM, you WILL appreciate that Energy Tank. Play SM and discover the other half of the 2D masterpiece puzzle.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By StarFoxA

Short answer: yes.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mhkjtha

Id say yes. doesnt feel any more dated then the castlevanias that regularly get released on the ds
    edit: it does have a few gameplay flaws/frustrations that you probably wouldnt see in a more polished modern release of a game like that, but theyre very minor.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

If you aren't one of the people that can't play old games, You will most likely love Super Metroid

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond

It mostly holds up.  I think if anything the game loses its luster if you played through it a bunch of times when it was new, like I did.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

yes, yes, yes...  this game holds up superbly.. played it two years ago it still has a fantastic atmosphere and some really clever use of  gadgets and weapons... it's  (in my opinion) a much better game than SoTN. 

Loved it as a kid... I had the extra large Snes box with a guide detailing where every item and secret was <3
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By belaraphon

super metroid is a pretty awesome game even by today's standards.  it showcases a game design that should be used more in games today. very very fun.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

Most definitely....still my favorite game of all time.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alphonzo

The controls aren't quite as tight as they were in later 2D Metroids, but they're still fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.