Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Weird SNES Games

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just got a SNES over the holidays, and being a youngin' I haven't played many SNES games. What are some you would recommend? I love goofy sports games and other stupid stuff.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It doesn't get much weirder than Earthbound.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Rap Jam: Volume One

It's a basketball game where you play as rappers such as Coolio, Warren G, and Queen Latifah.

I'm not even kidding.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Chrono Trigger. You may have played the PSone version on PS3 though. It's better on SNES, but whatevs.

Super Mario World

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team is pretty cool too. Hard game, though. I've never beat it.

Final Fight, Fatal Fury, Donkey Kong Country, Boogerman, Lost Vikings, Star Fox, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Zombies Ate my Neighbors, and Super Mario Kart.

I also remember Spawn on SNES being the only decent Spawn game. It's not fantastic, but it's ok. I actually beat that one without cheating. Keep in mind, though, I didn't have a SNES. I played it at a friends house when I was a kid.

I remember The Mask and Eek! the cat being ok (but don't quote me on that- I haven't played either of these in a very long time).

longish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By longish

If you like baseball with power-ups then Super Baseball Simulator 1000 is your game.

Also check out Snesaday.com as some guy tries to play every SNES game in chronological order. Patrick did a guest review of the Super Scope of the site.

justatippler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe E.V.O. may be right up your alley. A weird, sometimes frustrating action RPG about evolving from a protofish to a human in a completely bizarre and unrealistic way. I loved it as a child.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By hunterob

Barkley Shut Up and Jam!

Here's some trivia that you would only get from someone who has relentlessly Googling this 2-part series for the past 5 minutes: this game was also released on the Super Famicom under the name Barkley's Power Dunk. Despite that this one was also on the Genesis and the sequel is a Genesis exclusive, the Super Nintendo version was the only one good enough(?) to see a release in Japan.

Ok, both games aren't half as good as NBA Jam. I've just been playing a lot of NBA Jam: On Fire and frustrated by the fact that Barkley isn't in it. Or Jordan. But surprisingly, mostly Barkley.

Also you might want to see where Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden all started. A mediocre NBA Jam clone where the only good player is Charles Barkley. So many of the mere facts of this game's existence are so ridiculous that it seems like self-parody. Worth buying the cartridge? I'm not gonna say no.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Uniracers - A strange little racing game worth looking at. Lots of fun, and very fast. You can do all kinds of crazy tricks and you get points for more complex tricks etc. Also it's on unicycles if that wasn't clear from the title.

E. V. O- An interesting side scrolling action RPG hybrid from Enix where you work your way through the evolutionary process from small simplistic organism to large sophisticated animal. Speaking of interesting side-scrolling RPG hybrids from Enix...

ActRaiser - A great little game where you play the role of a god trying to rebuild a civilization plagued by the devil or whatever. The game switches off between a Sim City-esque building mode and a side scrolling ass kicking mode. Also the music is great. Classic early vintage SNES. It's got that dope ass bass that is distinct to the SNES.

Mario Paint - It's not really a game but it is really cool to screw around with. The SNES has a great sound chip for making music and this games lets you make your own SNES tunes. You can make your own and be a Youtube sensation. Plus you are going to need that mouse for all of your more serious SNES gaming, like Sim Ant.

Tetris & Dr. Mario - Two great puzzle games, one cartridge. Do it. Maybe Tetris doesn't exactly qualify as "Strange" but Dr. Mario is really just Mario slanging pills if you think about it, which paints him in an entirely different and unsavory light.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Zombies (or Zombies Ate My Neighbours) and Parodius. Also Earthworm Jim 1 and 2.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mask is a very fun game, also really weird punching clowns and avoiding cats.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Based

Uniracers - A strange little racing game worth looking at. Lots of fun, and very fast. You can do all kinds of crazy tricks and you get points for more complex tricks etc. Also it's on unicycles if that wasn't clear from the title.

E. V. O- An interesting side scrolling action RPG hybrid from Enix where you work your way through the evolutionary process from small simplistic organism to large sophisticated animal. Speaking of interesting side-scrolling RPG hybrids from Enix...

ActRaiser - A great little game where you play the role of a god trying to rebuild a civilization plagued by the devil or whatever. The game switches off between a Sim City-esque building mode and a side scrolling ass kicking mode. Also the music is great. Classic early vintage SNES. It's got that dope ass bass that is distinct to the SNES.

Mario Paint - It's not really a game but it is really cool to screw around with. The SNES has a great sound chip for making music and this games lets you make your own SNES tunes. You can make your own and be a Youtube sensation. Plus you are going to need that mouse for all of your more serious SNES gaming, like Sim Ant.

Tetris & Dr. Mario - Two great puzzle games, one cartridge. Do it. Maybe Tetris doesn't exactly qualify as "Strange" but Dr. Mario is really just Mario slanging pills if you think about it, which paints him in an entirely different and unsavory light.

These all seem great, thank you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.