Uniracers, or Unirally in PAL territories, is a unicycle racing game for the Super Nintendo. Taking place in the "Uni-verse", players control a sentient unicycle, created by the 'Unigod' for the sole purpose of racing other sentient unicycles.
Uniracers is a game where tricks are not only a device for showing off, but are also vital for beating some of the computer-controlled unicycles.
There are three different types of tracks.
- Race: Simple point-A-to-point-B race. First one to reach the finish line wins. There are two of these in each tour.
- Circuit: Like a race, but there are a number of laps to complete before the unicycle finishes.
- Stunt: A unique mode, there are no CPU unicycles in Stunt tracks. Instead, the player must reach a predetermined point goal within 45 seconds to pass the course successfully.
The track layout in every Tour goes Race, Circuit, Stunt, Race, Circuit.
There are 18 unicycles that can be chosen.
- Mike: Red Unicycle
- Martin: Dark Green Unicycle
- Amy: Orange Unicycle
- Michelle: Yellow-Green Unicycle
- Dave: Grey Unicycle
- Carol: Pink Unicycle
- Ken: Purple Unicycle
- Alice: Green Unicycle
- Andrew: Blue Unicycle
- Melissa: Yellow Unicycle
- Malcolm: Teal Unicycle
- Colin: Light Blue Unicycle
- Tony: Black Unicycle
- Craig: Light Green Unicycle
- Robbie: Maroon Unicycle
- Steve: Light Blue Unicycle
There are nine different Tours, including 4 initially marked off Tours, and one hidden Tour. Each Tour is represented by an animal.
- Crawler (The Snail): Dragster, Zoom Zoo, Bowl, Switcher, Monster.
- Shuffler (The Turtle): Looper, MegaJump, Jumps, Flat Fun, Infinity.
- Walker (The Porcupine): Dragrace, Ping Pong, Hill Climb, Hybrid, Short Cut.
- Hopper (The Frog): Wario Paint, Crock, Downer, East, Hairpin Hill.
- Jumper (The Rabbit): Wobble, Twinpeak, Skier, Loopback, Small Cut.
- Bounder (The Kangaroo): Last One, Marathon, Circle, Plinkey, Jumpover.
- Runner (The Ostrich): Down Up, Highroad, Spine, Boo!, Fire Escape.
- Sprinter (The Cheetah): Vertical, Flash, Little Dipper, Fruitbat, 123 Jump.
- Hunter (The Dinosaur): Griller, Two Loops, Neon, Hamster, To and Fro.
Hunter Tour Tricks
The CPU unicycle for the final Tour, or "Anti-Uni", will throw some nasty tricks at the player to try to prevent the player from beating the game. Note that these effects cannot be activated in two-player action.
- Barf Mode: The background scrolls crazily, making it disorienting for the player.
- Invisible Track: Makes the track invisible.
- Mirror Track: Flips the screen upside down, making it a little tricky to navigate.
- Reverse Controls: Left moves the player's unicycle to the right, and vice versa.
- Slow Motion: The game slows down, making it a little easier.
- Super Bounce Mode: Makes the unicycle bounce very high when it lands.
- Hedgehog Mode: Makes the game even slower than Slow Motion.
There are a number of interesting things about Uniracers.
- The game disallows using swear words, giving the message "Not Cool Enough". This message is also given for entering the name "SEGA" or "SONIC".
- There is a league mode, where 8 players can join a league and face off, two at a time, for bragging rights.
- The game saves the top three best times for each course, the unicycle that set the time, and each of the 16 unicycles' best times for each course.
- If the game is beaten, the player is rewarded with two tabloid-esque newspapers, and a "Whodunnit" screen, with caricatures of the creators' faces on unicycles.