Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

No More Character Unlocking!

• 88 results
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By hungrynun

I don't mind unlocking characters.

I also don't mind this either.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By AniMoney

Goddammit I better be able to transfer my save data over from SF4 to SSF4. I really don't want to get all those costumes/taunts/icons/titles again.    

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

That kind of blows. Hope they all have animated stories still. 

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By GHT

customization options would be really cool. I don't think they'll do it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Maybe they can do it in a way that you have to unlock them for Arcade mode, to see more of the story, but they're all already unlocked for Versus modes?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I'm pretty sure the only game in which character unlocking was fun at all is in Super Smash Bros. Melee. In Brawl and 64 it was OK, but Melee's was the most fun for some reason. In any Versus or Street Fighter game(heck any kind of fighting game) it was tedious, frustrating and a waste of time. It sucks when I put in a game and want to play Morrigan or Dan or w/e and see I have to unlock them. 

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" Having to unlock characters sucks. I still haven't bothered to unlock Seth or Gouken. 

@HitmanAgent47 said:

" There goes alot of the replay value. "

If you consider beating the game on easiest difficulty ten times 'replay value' then yes. "

Not just on the easiest difficulty, but also spamming their cheapest move too. It's not fun and it's not ACTUAL replay value.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#57  Edited By AgentJ
    @Dan_CiTi: I had some fun with unlocking in Jump Ultimate Stars too, though it took forever to unlock some of those characters. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't get what you ppl are trying to say, I just don't have xboxlive and I didn't sign up. Thats why I am not playing online for that game. I am playing challenge mode at least.

I am just against the whole xboxlive service and even if it's free for the pc version, I don't feel like signing up. If I had street fighter 4 for my ps3, I would play a bit online.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By napalm
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " I don't get what you ppl are trying to say, I just don't have xboxlive and I didn't sign up. Thats why I am not playing online for that game. I am playing challenge mode at least.  I am just against the whole xboxlive service and even if it's free for the pc version, I don't feel like signing up. If I had street fighter 4 for my ps3, I would play a bit online. "
    Are you not playing local versus matches with friends, then? You know, old school like two controllers in your system and duke it out on the same screen?
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Gambit
    @HitmanAgent47: why the hell would you buy a Xbox if your against xbox live? If you don't want to pay to play online why not buy a ps3?
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By Brake
    @Gambit: He said he has a PS3. I'm more puzzled by the fact that he bought SF4 for a machine he doesn't play online with.

I don't mean to make fun of you dude, I'm just puzzled by your logic here. :D
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By veektarius

I like unlocking.  GIves me somethign to do when I practice my movesets.  I agree that it should be fairly straightforward, though, and I think it should probably be possible to unlock characters by playing lots of multiplayer matches.  I think SCII or III did something like that where you got unlock points just by playing the game with friends. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HandsomeDead

Not having to unlock character removes my main reason to play single player. At least Tekken and Mortal Kombat have semblances of stories you may be interested in.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By toowalrus

That's kinda too bad, but it's also cool that I won't have to do it again.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Gambit: I have it for the pc version, not for the xbox360. Also who cares how i'm playing street fighter games, I like the single player. Considering in the arcades that's all I played before and trust me, I might have every arcade version of the game on pc, that's all i'm saying, whatever that means.

Just because i'm not playing online like the rest of you doesn't mean I don't enjoy the challenge mode and seeing everyone's ending finishing the game. I just don't like the xboxlive service because of the concept of charging ppl money.

Yes I own a ps3, i'm not getting it for that version considering how superior the pc version looks. Also I heard the load times are terrible. Look if you disagree with me, let me be, leave me in peace.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

If you really wanna unlock everyone again, when SSF 4 comes out just go back to SF4 delete ur save data and unlock everyone again BAM 60$ OR buy it for the PS3 and don't have this problem since you will have online for you're added replay value.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Jeffsekai: You know what, maybe for super street fighter 4, I might just buy it for the ps3. I mean I already had better graphics on the pc and I already know what it looks like. Then again i'm very far in challenge mode, I don't want to redo all that again. 

Why can't I defending unlocking characters just because everyone else doesn't want to? I mean do I have to play call of duty 4 online? or if I don't, does that make me wrong?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

I'm confused, you're mad at people responding to your responses dude what? If you like unlocking things great, say so and leave it. Dont respond like you just got smacked upside the head every time someone responds to your post.

And now your saying that you don't wanna do challenge mode again ? Isnt that were the bulk of your "replay value" comes from unlock chars takes at most 4 hrs doing all the challange modes could easily take days. Again im confused by your statements.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Jeffsekai: I already had a thousand replies on this topic where everyone thinks my decision to unlock characters is strange. I just don't play online for any games, it's just that simple.

Look unlike the most of you, I played street fighter in the arcades before. I played against the cpu and occassionally ppl would challenge me. Now everyone here only plays online and single player is occassionally. Maybe you don't understand me. Second if you are not a pc gamer, you wouldn't know what i'm talking about, however there is a games for windows live service, same as xboxlive silver. Since I don't play online very often, I didn't sign up to it. If I did I can play street fighter 4 online and i'm aweful at online games.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By napalm

Stop saying "ppl". Thanks.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Napalm: No, and stop telling me i'm wrong for my views about single player. That goes for everyone itt. I get it, I should play multiplayer and ignore the single player to be more like you ppl. I've been saying ppl online for years now, your not changing anything about the way I write, or the way I play street fighter games.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By napalm
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Napalm: No, and stop telling me i'm wrong for my views about single player. That goes for everyone itt. I get it, I should play multiplayer and ignore the single player to be more like you ppl. I've been saying ppl online for years now, your not changing anything about the way I write, or the way I play street fighter games. "
    Haha, holy shit. This dude is freaking out.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    I just woke up and had a ton of replies, I haven't even had the chance to do anything else because of it and won't because I have to explain myself. Fuck it, i'll just sign up online because I have no choice and accept everyone is right the only way to enjoy street fighter 4 is online and not single player or challenge mode. They should also be scrapped.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By killroycantkill

I am glad that I don't have to unlock characters anymore but what I would like in SSF4 are character customization features like in VF5 or Tekken 6. Instead of paying for additional costumes we get to make our own.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By animateria
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " I am glad that I don't have to unlock characters anymore but what I would like in SSF4 are character customization features like in VF5 or Tekken 6. Instead of paying for additional costumes we get to make our own. "
    Ono said once, that he didn't want the characters look unlike themselves, like a silly Ryu custom character would just ruin the mood or something...

I dunno... Blanka's alternate outfit is hilariously awesome. Of course he is a joke character of sorts (not ability-wise, just image-wise).

I personally just want the alt costumes on the disk, oh wait....
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By napalm
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" I just woke up and had a ton of replies, I haven't even had the chance to do anything else because of it and won't because I have to explain myself. Fuck it, i'll just sign up online because I have no choice and accept everyone is right the only way to enjoy street fighter 4 is online and not single player or challenge mode. They should also be scrapped. "

I think you spend too much time on the INTARNETS worrying about everyones own opinions.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#77  Edited By killroycantkill
    @animateria: 

I understand that he doesn't want it to be super crazy but I think he forgets that he controls what clothing items would go in the game. It doesn't  have to be as crazy as VF5 or Tekken 6 but some sort of way to make the character you play your own would be awesome.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By napalm
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " @animateria:   I understand that he doesn't want it to be super crazy but I think he forgets that he controls what clothing items would go in the game. It doesn't  have to be as crazy as VF5 or Tekken 6 but some sort of way to make the character you play your own would be awesome. "
    Character design/outfits have been a staple of the characters in Street Fighter. Letting players change that is heresy.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By s-a-n-JR

But apparently they are redoing the cutscenes for the endings, so it'd be worth playing through storymode to see the new ones anyway.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Napalm: No, and stop telling me i'm wrong for my views about single player. That goes for everyone itt. I get it, I should play multiplayer and ignore the single player to be more like you ppl. I've been saying ppl online for years now, your not changing anything about the way I write, or the way I play street fighter games. "
    lmao
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Iceman2913

lol I am still going to main ken unless some balancing is done

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CounterShock

Excellent.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By lordofultima
    @Iceman2913 said:
    " lol I am still going to main ken unless some balancing is done "
    Someone resurrected this thread, so I have a right to respond to this awesome post. You're going to main Ken "unless" some balancing is done? Ken is pretty mediocre in SFIV, just thought I'd point that out. So if they balance the game and actually make Ken better, you're going to drop him?
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @AgentJ said:

" I don't know if I like this. I always felt like unlocking characters was part of the fun. I can't see Jump Ultimate Stars taking up nearly as much of my time had I not had to spend dozens of hours getting the gems to unlock those characters.  "

Fighting Seth, who has the most brokenly stupid AI I've ever seen, several times, and seeing those terrible "anime" cutscenes just as much was not what I would call "fun".
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By lordofultima
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" I don't know if I like this. I always felt like unlocking characters was part of the fun. I can't see Jump Ultimate Stars taking up nearly as much of my time had I not had to spend dozens of hours getting the gems to unlock those characters.  "

Fighting Seth, who has the most brokenly stupid AI I've ever seen, several times, and seeing those terrible "anime" cutscenes just as much was not what I would call "fun". "
    I agree, although Seth is super easy to beat along with all of arcade mode once you recognize patterns -- which goes toward the lack of enjoyment playing CPU, nothing is learned and you can apply nothing that you learn against real players. It's just OCD, people have it and are actually demanding that things be locked upon purchasing a 60 dollar game. Go figure.
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @lordofultima said:
    It's just OCD, people have it and are actually demanding that things be locked upon purchasing a 60 dollar game. Go figure. "
    You'd think that after the Brawl debacle, where Ninty hyped up Snake and Sonic just to force you to play the least fun part of the game to get to them, or the Dracula X Chronicles bullshit where it advertised a remastered Symphony of the Night only for you to have to find it in some completely obscure place you'd never have found without a FAQ, would have wiped any desire for that kind of thing out completely.  Some people are just sadists, I guess.  It's like buying Madden 10, only to find out that you have to play the manager mode or something stupid like that for several hours first to unlock the actual in game football used to play the game on and offline.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Hell yes.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#88  Edited By DanielJW

Excellent. Lazy bastards like myself are saved. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.