Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Reply to Bombcast Listener Question regarding Quarter Circle

phoenixflames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By phoenixflames

On the August 31st Bombcast a listener wrote an email about the difficulty with quarter circle moves facing a certain direction on a D-Pad and asked if a fight stick would be better. 

For me, I'm the reversed. I have a Hori fighting stick, and I can't throw a fireball worth a damn if I'm facing to the right. I always seem to accidentally throw a dragon punch facing that direction. However, I have no problems with hurricane kicks rolling the stick to the left.  

Likewise, if I get turned around in the battle and face to the left, I'm a fireball machine but I can't throw a dragon punch or a hurricane kick. 

If I use a dualshock, I have no problem with these moves at all, but my thumb gets mangled and sore after 15 minutes of game time. I also don't like the button layout of the dualshock. 

I thought the madcatz fight pad would solve all my problems, and I bought one on sale at a going out of business Gamecrazy. Two of the buttons died on the controller after an hour of use. Madcatz never replied with a fix after they replied to me asking what buttons were broken. Gramecrazy wouldn't take returns since it was going out of business, and I read online reviews and said those fighting pads are pretty crappy.  bummer. 

Anyone else have these quarter circle problems in Street Fighter. Any recommendations?

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

When I first started I found it harder to throw fireballs from the left, because it just felt weird to move my thumb that way.  

Try just sitting in training for a few minutes constantly doing the motion to get your body used to it and get it in your muscle memory.  

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

When I switched to fightstick I couldn't do 2xQCFultras from left side of the screen. I just sat in training mode and told myself I wouldn't turn the PS3 off until I could do ultra from the left side of the screen 10 times in a row.. By the time I turned of the PS3 I could do ultras from the left side just as easily as from the right side. I don't think you should give up on the fightstick yet brozo. It was hard for me at first too but now that I can play with it it feels so rewarding.

phoenixflames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phoenixflames

I am completely inexperienced with the fighting stick scene. My Hori stick was reasonably priced and it worked on my ps2 fighting games. 

My stick clicks. Is that different from other ones? Could that have something to do with it?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jack268
    @phoenixflames said:
    " I am completely inexperienced with the fighting stick scene. My Hori stick was reasonably priced and it worked on my ps2 fighting games.  My stick clicks. Is that different from other ones? Could that have something to do with it? "
    No. If it doesn't click then that's a problem. The clicks are a confirmation that you are activating the microswitches that send your inputs to the console. If you really want to test it though just hit up training mode with input display on and check every direction. But if it's a PS2 stick it wont work for PS3/360 unless you mod it or get a converter. A quality converter will cost 20-30 dollars.
    phoenixflames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phoenixflames
    @Jack268: Well, the stick I have is meant for the PS3. The box said it only works on PS3 and now PS2 games, but I have a back compat PS3, and I can use the Hori stick on some of my older fighting games like the Alpha collection. 

Do all console sticks click? I'm just used to classic arcades, and sticks just rolled and sprun back to center. 

One thing I am noticing in the training room is that I'm having such a hard time with two hit combos like Low Punch, Medium kick. I seem to be miserable with the timing. I've tried so many different timing combinations and I can't seem to get it right. If I do land the combo, it seems completely random.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268
    @phoenixflames said:
    " @Jack268: Well, the stick I have is meant for the PS3. The box said it only works on PS3 and now PS2 games, but I have a back compat PS3, and I can use the Hori stick on some of my older fighting games like the Alpha collection.  Do all console sticks click? I'm just used to classic arcades, and sticks just rolled and sprun back to center.  One thing I am noticing in the training room is that I'm having such a hard time with two hit combos like Low Punch, Medium kick. I seem to be miserable with the timing. I've tried so many different timing combinations and I can't seem to get it right. If I do land the combo, it seems completely random. "
    I believe nearly all console sticks click like that. I can't help with the combos, sorry.
    Bagga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bagga

Just needs alot of practice man, begin slowly and just keep going faster.

phoenixflames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phoenixflames
    @Bagga: Any tips on combos in training mood with timing?
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By commandercup

To answer the original question, most sticks come with square gates which don't have actual indents for a quarter circle. Octagonal gates on the other hand have clearcut corners which makes it easier to do a QC movement. Thus a d-pad may in fact be easier for a square gate stick (most can be swapped back and forth), but I've heard it's worth just training on a square gate as they are more versatile since you can get perfect execution on one with practice anyways.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima

Sticks with a square gate will give people perhaps more difficulty with the quarter-circle motion at first. Now it feels really good to me, but it takes practice is all.

phoenixflames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phoenixflames

I have the Hori Fighting Stick 3. Playing with it now on my lunch break, I can tell it's a square gate.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I used to have problems with the motions when on the other side but got used to it. The only problem I have now is dashing left. When I'm using a joystick for some reason that double tap movement messes me up and about 25% of the time I'll just stand there like a moron when I meant to backdash. Really annoying but I'm sure I just need more muscle memory.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Belonpopo

I never had that problem..

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Phished0ne

I had that exact problem at first,  couldn't do shit right to left, now i am pretty good, doing Akuma's red fireball still kinda messes with me though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

I use a FightPad and I don't use quarter circle characters. I tried Adon, but my fingers weren't having it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.