Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

"Why Fighting Games Suck" Article

• 141 results
    bigcess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By bigcess

Article: http://www.examiner.com/x-13078-Xbox-360-Examiner~y2010m8d12-Why-fighting-games-suck     

So I started to read this article and it's clear that this guy is a bad journalist, well, as far a fact checking/researching goes. Then I started to think about it and it seems that a lot of people (at least that I know) have this negative opinion of fighting games, and some even believe this for some reason. 

I think the reason for people feeling this way is because a lot of information about fighting games has to be researched and isn't found in the game, per se. Like, I recently have been getting into SSFIV, after not played fighting games in years, and having to look up frame counting, canceling, option select, etc. So does anyone think this type of information should be included within the game bypassing this whole meta-game of figuring out how to play fighters?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

FTA:

"Many people complain that the yearly release of Madden is just the same game with updated rosters being repackaged and sold for full price but fighters are an even bigger offender of this. What really is the difference between Street Fighter II and Street Fighter IV? Cooler graphics? A couple new characters added to the roster? Is that really all the franchise was capable of evolving in the seventeen year  timespan between the two arcade releases?

Fighters don't really take any skill to play, either. A lot of people probably would disagree with this statement and admittedly, I am personally bad at fighters but only because I have no interest at all in playing them. Being "good" at fighters isn't so much about actually having skill as it is having experience with the game and memorizing all of a character's techniques (which can be a ridiculously lengthy list). Once you can perform any technique at will, the only thing you need to do to become "good" is play the game enough to learn what beats what. Then, when your opponent performs a Dragon Uppercut you know you have to counter with a Fireball immediately. This isn't skill at the actual game, it's just memorization of a rock, paper, scissors mechanic."

This guy has no fucking idea what he's talking about.

Edit:

"How fighters can be played competitively at a professional level I'll never understand. In First Person Shooters, not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics. In most cases you also need to use teamwork to overcome the enemy team. Fighters aren't predictable at all because you never know how the other guy is going to fight. Will this guy spam jump kick? If so you just need to think about what beats that to win. Maybe will he spam Fireball so you have to think about what beats that and you'll win. Fighters come down to who has more experience to know what to do at any given moment, not about skill at the game.

The one exception to this argument would be Super Smash Brothers which took fighting games to a whole new level by taking one-on-one duels and turning them into a four player brawl."

This guy continues to have no fucking idea what he's talking about. Were he to post something that stupid on this forum, I'd assume he was trolling.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Malakhii

The key is when he says he sucks at fighters. So because he sucks, and won't practice to get better , he proceeds shits on the whole genre. So you can easily just counter the bullshit he's spewing with the old saying, learn2play noob. 

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By chstupid

I feel dumber just reading that article.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

The same people that doesn't see any progression in fighting games are analogous to people that sees all shooters being the same for shooting people in the head. Subtlety is hard to reach dense people.  

As far as the problem of learning overall metagame stuff that is never thought within the game itself, I'm kinda torn on that. Yes I do see your point, but the more you spoon feed someone, the more you risk trapping people's mindset into "this is the correct way of playing". At least with the community guides and vids, the process is organic and that is what makes the game last as long as it does. For example:  Justin Wong said Adon was a trash character until he ate his words by losing to Adon at Evo.  

Whether its Street Fighter, Starcraft (which the game only tells you what unit beats what, never this is how you scout, etc) or time tested Chess and Poker; these games have an organic meta-game that not even the makers of the game know every combination of moves or whatever. I personally like the whole reward the person that is willing to learn and think the most.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

This guy's an idiot. Those "legitimate reasons" of his are ridiculous. I want to spam fireball his face into dust.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By pbhawks45

I'm not a fan of fighting games, but I can certainly respect the tournament level play of competitors. Shit is intense. Also: lots of game journalists are terrible.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By OroJackson

wow, I am simply in awe of the complete ignorance in that article, its laughable. But then again someone stupid posting something stupid on the internet is nothing new, even if he is a supposed video game "journalist"
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Supermarius

the thing with fighting games is that they have a very conditional quality. Ai combat is usually not very compelling, so if you are playing singleplayer only, then they are not very good (personally i do like fighting game singleplayer but i think i am an anomaly).  If you are way better than your opponent, then they are not very good.  If your opponent is way better than you, then they are not very good.  They are pretty much only fun when both you and your human opponent are of the same skill level.  Then they are pretty much unparalled in terms of excellence. A fighting game is an elaborate set of tools and game-pieces that you have to provide all the gameplay for yourself, like a more traditional boardgame.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Dawglet

That article is oozing with hypocrisy.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By demontium
    @Dawglet said:

" That article is oozing with hypocrisy. "

This is my response.  

Now lets all try not to freak out and cuss, okay?
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This article doesn't even reserve a proper rebuttal, it just stinks of ignorance and prejudice towards fighting games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's funny that the paragraph he used to describe the complexity of a FPS's multiplayer component is the exact same reason why people love fighting games. 

The dude does have a point about the meta-game though. If you just randomly bought a fighting game with no idea about any of that stuff--and it was nowhere to be found in the game itself--you're just setting the player up for butthurt.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skogen

That article is comical at best. 

Fighting games have infinite re-playability. That's the reason why people are still competitively playing fighting games that are more than a decade old...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By WickedCestus

This article is kind of sickening. If you don't understand a genre of games, DON'T WRITE ABOUT IT. I used to not like fighting games or JRPGs but I never got mad about other people liking them. I kept my mind open and now two of the games I've been playing regularly recently are SSF4 and Persona 3 FES.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

speaking of...anyone know how to counter el fuertes fucking dive that everybody spams (played 10 matches against and every person on xbox live spammed that same move) with a Zangief that's slow to get up?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Undeadpool

I felt this way about fighting games for awhile. Then I started playing Street Fighter 4. Then Super Street Fighter 4. THEN I started WINNING at Super Street Fighter 4. Then fighting games became AWESOME.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SpecialBuddy

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @demontium said:

" @Dawglet said:

This is my response.   Now lets all try not to freak out and cuss, okay? "
    FUCK! 

"How fighters can be played competitively at a professional level I'll never understand. In First Person Shooters, not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics."  

There is so much irony in those two sentences that I cant even... I don't know, I'm speechless.   
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @NinjaHunter said:

" @demontium said:

" @Dawglet said:

FUCK! 

"How fighters can be played competitively at a professional level I'll never understand. In First Person Shooters, not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics."   There is so much irony in those two sentences that I cant even... I don't know, I'm speechless.    "

yeh the " not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics" made me laugh quite alot.... 

the sad thing is this article is gonna get more hits than it deserves
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@StaticFalconar said:

"Oh, btw the authors email address:   vegeta2k1alex@yahoo.com "

Finally, we can give this man a piece of our mind in an objective and completely rational manner. And by that I mean signing him up for outrageous and legally questionable sexual interest subscriptions.

Difinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Difinity

I find it so funny that he's bashing the genre on (what appears to be at least) his own interest. I thought journalists weren't supposed to bring in their own personal opinions when delivering "news." 

I grew up with my brother kicking my butt in every single round of every fighting game we ever played but I'm sure as hell not labeling the whole genre as garbage. Reeks of butthurt, I say.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gambit

Wow I thought for sure this was a joke article. But I guess it isn't.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " @demontium said:

" @Dawglet said:

FUCK! 

"How fighters can be played competitively at a professional level I'll never understand. In First Person Shooters, not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics."   There is so much irony in those two sentences that I cant even... I don't know, I'm speechless.    "
    This translates to" Ive been raped in every and all fighting games ever"  

I admit I do not like fighting games. They are just not my thing. But I will fully admit watching pros go at it is a BLAST. I love watching cut scenes with action and when pros get into it. That is what it feels like. Even better when that "mode" *Not sure of its name* Is used for SSF and they just smack each other around. 
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Plasma

Stop being such morons. If its a joke, then who cares? If its not, then why do you care? So what, he has a different opinion, GRRR! WHY!? Lets flame him! >:D. *sigh*  

Is it really that hard to agree with him? Fighting games ARE just monotonous round after round clashes, where you try new strategies, show off how well you know the game and the character's movesets. For example I think racing games are boring, as you just drive the best line over and over. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jack268

This is disgusting. That man is a pitiful example of a journalist. I guess he played 2 hrs of SSFIV online and got his butt whipped? The things he talk about are fucking riddicolous. 
    @NinjaHunter said:

" @demontium said:

" @Dawglet said:

FUCK! 

Right on bromo sapien.    
    ljgpliskin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ljgpliskin92
     " Fighters come down to who has more experience to know what to do at any given moment, not about skill at the game."

I really just love how his definition of "skill" is completely different than experience, knowledge, and execution.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By EpicSteve

He brings up a good topic for discussion that fighters haven't evolved too much. Overall though, this man has no business getting paid to write about videogames.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Three0neFive

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has been trolled.

Because it can't be possible to be that stupid. It just can't.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#31  Edited By Jazz

Why evolve something that doesn't really need it? 
    With the majority of fighting games, if you've ever played SFII you're more than likely to be able to pull of a couple of moves. 
    I'm pretty sure the text and that video are troll jobs. Smash Bros an evolution? Give me a break...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Red12b
    @demontium said:
    " @Dawglet said:

Fucking fucker wont let me fucking swear fucks sake fucking fucker. 

I hate the word cuss, 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Red12b
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    "   
    "
    Is that the article but in video form?  
    what a fucking joke, who the fuck does he think he is? dumbass.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
    deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That guy is an idiot. If fighting games took no skill, I guess I should go join some tournaments and make me some money.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By EdIsCool
    @Difinity said:
    " I find it so funny that he's bashing the genre on (what appears to be at least) his own interest. I thought journalists weren't supposed to bring in their own personal opinions when delivering "news."   I grew up with my brother kicking my butt in every single round of every fighting game we ever played but I'm sure as hell not labeling the whole genre as garbage. Reeks of butthurt, I say. "
    not news,its an opinion piece, a wonderfully arrogant opinion piece. I dont like fighters, but I would never cuss out a genre I know next to nothing about. Still the guy is getting paid writing about games. So props to him.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360
    @SpecialBuddy: well isnt this guy a dumb ass.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By scarace360
    @StaticFalconar: LETS BURN HIS HOUSE TO THE GROUND!
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By trophyhunter
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " @demontium said:

" @Dawglet said:

FUCK! 

I threw up after reading those to sentences
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    "   
    "
    Dude SSBB is the best game evar!
    dundisputed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dundisputed

i could write about how i hate halo but i dont because it's just my opinion...i literally an i mean literally fell asleep at the wheel in the first chapter of Halo ODST...
    why people dedicate the creative process to hatred i will never know...

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

What a terrible article.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Colin

The guy who wrote that article was obviously dropped on his head as a child.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NoXious
    @Colin:
    Hey hey hey! That ain't nice.
    I was dropped on my head as a baby too and I don't agree with the writer at all!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scooper

yo fighting games on brast yo

What a twat.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I have little respect for most journalists to begin with, since so few take even the briefest of moments to know what their job actually entails.  Clearly, the author is completely ignorant, but chose to write about his baseless opinions anyway.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scooper said:
    " yo fighting games on brast yo  What a twat. "
    yo shoutouts to fuckheads
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jack268
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    yo shoutouts to fuckheads "
    big shoutouts to the shoutouts to the fuckheads
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fwylo
    @Axxol said:
    " This guy's an idiot. Those "legitimate reasons" of his are ridiculous. I want to spam fireball his face into dust. "
    Haha nice. Got a laugh out of me.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Jack268 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    yo shoutouts to fuckheads "
    big shoutouts to the shoutouts to the fuckheads "
    Yo realtalk big shoutouts to big shoutouts to shoutouts to the fuckheads.
    yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yates

Well, this tool has clearly succeeded in getting the page views he wanted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.