Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released 1994

Set in a bleak cyberpunk universe, System Shock is a first-person action-adventure game from Looking Glass Studios that challenges players to overcome the hazards of an immense, multi-level space station under the control of an artificial intelligence with aspirations of godhood.

First trailer for System Shock 1 "Remastered Edition" is up; Kickstarter coming soon.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I had no idea that this was actually a thing, but I guess now that Night Dive Studios owns the System Shock IP they're trying to get their money out of it and make an actual remake of System Shock 1, which should not be confused with the System Shock 3, which is theoretically in development by Otherside Entertainment but probably won't be out anytime soon because those guys are busy working on Underworld Ascendant. This also shouldn't be confused with System Shock "Enhanced Edition", which came out alongside the original DOS version of the game as a freebie when Night Dive first re-released it, with stuff like slightly higher resolution graphics and native mouse-look support.

But I guess the real meat to all of this is that they're planning on making a Kickstarter out of it and it's also coming to Xbox One. I dunno how I feel about that. I always got the impression that people liked System Shock 2 a whole lot and the first game, while still influential and well-liked, is not nearly as beloved. This remake (it's a remake, don't beat around the bush Night Dive) seems like a pretty obvious attempt to test the waters for how many people actually care about System Shock before the real Looking Glass alumni make the real System Shock sequel. Less cynically, it's also an attempt to update a game that's kinda hard to play 22 years after its release (and I say this even as someone who plays his share of old-school PC RPGs). Either way, I see it getting funded no problem unless the target is ridiculous.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Saw this yesterday and it looks really spectacular.

Not too hot about it being a Kickstarter and I'd prefer this kind of treatment on System Shock 2.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it looks surprisingly incredible. Maybe I'm in the wrong for thinking so, but to me, any time something comes up as kickstarted, I always think 'less than ideal quality'. That doesn't seem to be the case with what's shown here though. I don't know.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

System Shock? More like... Bloomem... Shock.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

I really like how they stay true to the original's art style. That said, back then I always imagined the citadel station's corridors as cylindrical, rather than with those angular slopes that I assume(d) were due to limitations of the engine. Found it a bit weird how they had added so much detail to other areas, but kept those sharp angles.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The lighting looks just great. Very moody.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe it's because of the squares but the high detail/limited geometry gives me a bit of a Grimrock vibe.I haven't played the original yet bit that was more due to compatibility than graphics so I am better served by the Enhanced Ed but I hope this turns out good as well.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These guys definitely seem to know what they're doing. Never played SS1 as I heard it's pretty difficult to play nowadays, but from the looks of this early footage, I'll definitely give this remake a try. Are these the same guys doing System Shock 3? If so, I'm very excited, they definitely have the atmosphere building down, which is really the most important part of those games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The geometry looks a bit weird, but that is a pretty cool title card.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

That looks pretty good for an alpha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.