Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

2fort - Yay or Nay?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xruntime

I'll stay neutral on this. It's a great map aesthetically and its more or less the signature map of Team Fortress 2. But there's just too much deathmatching, spamming, and virtual stalemates, and the map isn't really all that satisfying. The flag sometimes never gets touched, and snipers aren't really useful when they're just skirmishing back and forth with each other. Many players just stay in their base and camp, waiting for an unlucky adventurer to wander in and get owned by ten players. 

Along the same lines, I have a follow up question. Do you think CTF in TF2 is inherently broken? I'd lean towards yes, because most CTF maps are designed like 2fort, with the intel buried deep within the enemy fortress, where its extremely difficult to reach. There are a few maps that are not like that, like Mach 4, but these maps are so small that it can still become very deathmatch-like and spammy when you have more than 16 or so players. 
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

I agree with you in regards to the camping that occurs in 2fort, usually at the start of a round you get the usual scout rush (something i have now perfected) and it sets the pace of the game. Then after that initial rush the engineers have had time to put 5 sentry guns inside the intel room with one mad pyro running around like a fool making it impossible for any spy to sap them.

Honestly i think its a problem with a lot of CTF maps in games. The flag is too far into the enemy base making it easy for them to camp, even more so if they have the most captures in the round. I remember in UT2k4 a lot of usermade CTF maps had the flag visible from the other teams base making a round more action packed, exciting and there was less camping.

And i'd say that the CTF aspect of TF2 needs some improvement since with the engineer being a "camper" class due to their sentry guns it can be a big struggle to get past the initial defenses only to walk into the intel room and be greeted by the beeps of a group of sentry guns.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

I would totally agree sometimes on 2fort I notice a definite statemate like game...but since its one of those maps where I can play it for a while, then I'll just leave the game if I'm sick of it, it doesn't bother me much..when I first boot up TF2 to play, if the map is 2fort and there are like 25-32 people in it, I'll usually stay just because I love the constant action TDM feel of it. Once I get tired of it though I just go to aserver that has a different gametype on it.

Vafthrutnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Vafthrutnir

I've grown tired of 2fort, Mach4 I'll still play sometimes though. If there's a lot of people on 2fort then the match will tend to drag out into a stalemate or one team camping in front of the others base.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By xruntime

CTF in TF2 needs more open spaces with direct access to the flag.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Bass

it's my favorite map, but I play on the 360. There's never really more than 2 sentries in there and a well timed uber or a good soldier/demoman can take them out pretty easily. Spies are really only good for a single sentry... or they can be good in a combo with a demoman or soldier.

That said, I do feel like snipers are completely useless on that map. What's the point in just killing other snipers?

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elbow

The forts need to be seperated more, with a less expansive design.

The one reason why I find myself really not playing 2fort, is that there is no neutral ground large enough for the action to take place.

Personally I've become in love Dustbowl and Gold Rush, while I'm still trying to get a hang of Badwater and Gravelpit.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#8  Edited By vigorousjammer

I think it's a fun map... and the most recognizable... I honestly don't think I'd like TF2 as much (not that I wouldn't like it all) If it didn't have 2fort in it.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By E_rock

2Fort can be fun when you have a good team that works together.   However, that isn't exactly a common occurance in the bigger servers that usually run the map.  Like others have said, the match can quickly degrade into boring a stalemate.  Goldrush, Dustbowl and Gravelpit are the maps I find myself playing the most. 

DanCarmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DanCarmichael

Nay, I genuinely find offending on that map pretty difficult.

It's hard to get into the base and start work as a spy due to how long it takes to get in undiscovered. It's impossible to get in as a scout if there are sentries. And I really feel you need to be accompanied by a medic if your push forward as a soldier or pyro.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thordain

Yay, its a good map.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joker

Yay! I like 2fort a lot!

hazzard4123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hazzard4123
    Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Worm

I'll sum it up on one word: Yay!
    I love 2fort, the design, the fun factor, the excitement, I just love it.
    Except the sniper spots.

Meliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meliv

2fort has problems, but if you're on the right server with the right people it can be a great map

LordWhite1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By LordWhite1

Im going to have to say Yay! on this topic as well, I've had countless great times as a Heavy and Pyro on 2fort.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Cube

Yay. I love 2fort a lot, it's probably the only map I ever really feel like playing.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail

Yay. I think the map is quite balanced. It's perfect for spies, Snipers, sentrys... I like that map a lot.

Edited to put in the Yay.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Pibo47

Yay.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By screwed

well it is one of the most popular maps in the game, and the 24/7 2fort servers verify that.

Me, I like 2fort, but I dont like playing on a server that has it running 24/7. And personally I dont think this type of CTF maps are the best, but I would welcome it on a regular routine on servers and will enjoy it a lot. But 24/7.. meeh, you get a little tired playing it all the time.
    The community servers I play on have a 24/7 server for it so I dont get to play it unless I go in there for a while.

But yes, it is a good map. Had lots of good TF2 moments on there. So yay.

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JaxDaxter

I personally never play 2fort just because i dont think its that good, most of the time there are about 5 engis camping somewhere with their sentry, and often theres not enough teamwork (which isnt that bad most of the time) to destroy them.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Foil1212

I always avoid 2fort.  Best CTF? Well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.