Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

How to get good at soldier

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Pop

Play half an hour of quake 1 with a rocket launcher or any weapon really and then play TF2, because of the fast pace of quake 1 TF2 will feel like it's in slow motion.  

There are still a lot of quake 1 servers going, I realized that this works when GB did Quake 1 on TNT, after TNT ended I played a little TF2 and I was killing everyone really easy even scouts which I usually had trouble with. Try it and tell me how it goes :D.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

I've read that Solider is the easiest class but it's actually my least played class. I totally suck at it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

Best way to get good at soldier? Switch to demoman. 

Lighthearted trolling aside, I find that really getting your quick swapping down helps a ton. Knowing when to switch to shotgun is key. Learning your role is also key. You're there to do long-range damage, particularly to engineer defenses.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Rattle618

I think your advice is sound for any of the classes, it happened to me coming from Quake 3 online and it´s true, although I chose to focus on the scout.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By eldiax

Pro-tip: aim at their legs.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

Shoot that floor ...get them kills son

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Soap_of_Death

There should be some worthwhile tutorial videos on youtube that you might want to check out. Anyway, aim at their feet for splash damage, jump while firing or use higher ground to spread the damage. Work on rocket jumping, it gives you a significant advantage once you can pull it off reliably. Fire a rocket at your feet while jumping (or crouch jumping) to pull it off, preferably have some momentum beforehand. It not only aids you in killing enemies but it can work quite well defensively when you need to retreat quickly. Rocket jumping also lets you reach areas most other classes couldn't. You can juggle enemies mid-air with your Rocket Launcher too, you can send them in the air with the splash damage at their feet and follow it up with another rocket while they're still in the air.

If you get ubered and need to take out an engineer and his sentry, kill the engy first. If you've used all four rockets, switch to the shotgun to finish the job rather than reload the rocket launcher. You can also take down sentries from far away by spamming rockets at it. If a sentry is right around the corner, aim at the ground close to where it is and finish it off with splash damage. 

It's fairly easy to become competent at soldier but being able to do more than shoot the floor separates you from the pack.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shinigami420

Would love to help but TF2 is broke makeing me fucking mad each time i try to start it loads up the valve intro and then crashes have tried to delete the local files restart steam restart my pc scan my entire for virus on 4 diffrent programs and its still fucking broke its fucking bullshit i was playing just 2 days ago and now its fucking broke and there is no way to fix it!!!!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By valrog
    Watch some of these.

Also, don't shoot in line with enemy. Because physics. Predict your enemy's movement and aim in front of that path. Also, learning to rocket jump is invaluable since height provides quite an advantage.

@Barrock said:

I've read that Solider is the easiest class but it's actually my least played class. I totally suck at it.

Easy to grasp, difficult to conquer. Soldier is my second most played class (Right after Sniper) and I'm still learning new things every day.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn

I just use the Direct Hit. I'm not a fan of the disappointment that is splash damage.

@valrog said:

Easy to grasp, difficult to conquer. Soldier is my second most played class (Right after Sniper) and I'm still learning new things every day.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138

I think this video will help you a lot

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Shoot at the ground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.