Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Television

Object » linked to 508 games

A television set is a device used to view moving images usually accompanied by sound. They often appear in video games and scenery but sometimes have more practical applications.

Buying a TV (LED/LCD) for PC and PS3

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BombKareshi

What's up, duders? So my girlfriend is looking to buy a television screen and it's my responsibility to do the research. She wants to be able to hook up her computer to it, and also her PlayStation 3. Her graphics card has got an HDMI port, which I suspect is what one would use to connect the PC to the TV.

I'm assuming that full HD is the way to go. Also, I've read up a little and it looks like LED beats LCD in energy usage, weight and picture quality, at a slightly higher price. Am I correct in advising her to go for an LED television instead of an LCD? And will she need anything else to be able to connect her PC/PS3 to it?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@BombKareshi said:

What's up, duders? So my girlfriend is looking to buy a television screen and it's my responsibility to do the research. She wants to be able to hook up her computer to it, and also her PlayStation 3. Her graphics card has got an HDMI port, which I suspect is what one would use to connect the PC to the TV. I'm assuming that full HD is the way to go. Also, I've read up a little and it looks like LED beats LCD in energy usage, weight and picture quality, at a slightly higher price. Am I correct in advising her to go for an LED television instead of an LCD? And will she need anything else to be able to connect her PC/PS3 to it?

LED is definitely superior as long as the price difference is not tremendous. You'll see a big visual quality improvement in dark games/movies. Blacks will look much blacker. They also use less energy because they use LEDs (hence the name) instead of a backlight.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

I have a 32'' Samsung LCD 1080p HDTV and a 22'' LED 1080p Monitor for my PC and consoles. The LED screen expends considerably less energy and heat, thinner and a higher contrast ratio. Like you said, they do cost more. A lot more. The LED version of my TV, last year, costs more than double the amount. Shop around and if you are comfortable paying more go ahead.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BombKareshi
    @AlisterCat: @Rolyatkcinmai: Thanks, guys. How about the connection between the PC and the TV? Do I need to buy a special cable or something, or can they typically do that kind of thing out-of-the-box?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

@BombKareshi: HDMI. If your graphics card supports direct HDMI then you can get male-male HDMI cable. If it has DVI you can easily get DVI - HDMI cables.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@BombKareshi said:

@AlisterCat: @Rolyatkcinmai: Thanks, guys. How about the connection between the PC and the TV? Do I need to buy a special cable or something, or can they typically do that kind of thing out-of-the-box?

It probably won't come with an HDMI cable, but literally everything uses them now.

Always good to have a couple on hand.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BombKareshi

Awesome. Thanks again for the advice. I knew my faith in you was not misplaced!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.