Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tesla Effect

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 07, 2014

Funded through Kickstarter, Tesla Effect is a new entry in the series of Tex Murphy point and click adventure games created by Chris Jones and Aaron Conners.

Why is nobody talking about this?

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

It looks absolutely insane. I can't figure out if the overstated cheese is even intentional. Giantbomb's love for all things FMV and silly should have people counting down the days!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I didn't even know about it till... Wait for it... Wait for it... Almost... Now.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SingingMenstrual

because point and click is boring as frick

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I was never into Tex Murphy as a kid (I didnt even know about it then) but I get peoples reverence for it even though I cant play any of the olds ones now mainly because the control scheme they chose is fucked beyond belief.

But I get it. I have a similar reverence for The Journeyman Project.

That being said I am interested to see what this one is. Like, how it plays and what not. I love FMV games for no logical reason.

Avatar image for synthesis_landale
    synthesis_landale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@cornbredx: There's a demo on Steam. It plays like any FPS control wise, excluding the traditional point and click item combining and choosing your dialog options of course.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Because it's not out yet?

And people have commented plenty in the trailers.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played through the demo yesterday and it's a straight-up old school adventure game with pretty great looking FMV. I had to use the hints a few times because well, it wouldn't be a Tex Murphy game without obtuse puzzles. I liked that you could skip the dumb stuff like the sliding picture puzzle. Dialogue choices are a bit jarring because everything stops, but Tex was always like that I guess. I am just spoiled by the seamless way Telltale does it, I guess. I am also kind of amazed they could make this game on their apparently shoe-string budget. A $600K Kickstarter doesn't get you anywhere near this game...

And holy shit the control scheme and UI is fucking terrible, it needs modern controller support badly. It also seems like they forgot anyone might use a TV to play, the UI text at 1080p is so small I had to sit a few feet away from my TV. And the way you manage your inventory and use items with each other and the world is unbelievably bad. Hope they improve some of this or it is going to be hard to play. All in all, they can take my money cause Chris Jones is insane and I still can't believe this game even exists.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

Is Garrus in it?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By BBAlpert
    @sooty said:

Is Garrus in it?

Probably not, but the idea of Garrus in a detective adventure game rekindled my burning desire to see an LA Noire style "Stories of C-Sec" spin-off game. See attached rad image I made a while back.

Detective Garrus Vakarian, badge 1247

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper excited for this to come out. I mean, I may not buy it because the whole FMV era of PC games was something I never interacted with, but I love that it exists, and I cannot wait to see the Quick Look for it. Love that they got the same actor to do Tex and he's super old now, and they can play up the whole "this is my one last case" angle.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A nice surprise in the game for MST3K fans also. I am not sure if i will play this one myself, but I am glad this game has found a way to release, it is great to see kickstarter keeping these type of games possible.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Releasing tomorrow already, huh? Please tell me there's a surprise Quick Look coming, featuring both Vinny and Dave?

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks mad stupid in a great way. We need a Vinny Quick Look of this, like now.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Quick Look first thing in the morning!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By crithon

goodie good, can't wait for that quick look

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@singingmenstrual: This one isn't point and click

Neither were the originals, for the most part. The movement was all WASD based, and a significant part of the game were dialogue trees. The actual "point and click" parts were only probably a couple dozen minutes of the games at most. And this one isn't point and click at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked this up a few hours ago. Its pretty dumb. In a good way. I've never played the originals, so I had no clue what to expect.

librariangmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 10

I haven't played any of the original Tex Murphy games and my only exposure to it was reading the novelization of Under A Killing Moon about a dozen times. Its fun, even though the humor is more than a little dumb. There's a lot of nostalgia waiting for veterans. Thankfully, all of the games are available on GOG and I plan to play them after I finish this.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zirilius

@bbalpert said:
    @sooty said:

Is Garrus in it?

Probably not, but the idea of Garrus in a detective adventure game rekindled my burning desire to see an LA Noire style "Stories of C-Sec" spin-off game. See attached rad image I made a while back.

Never played LA NOIR but I'd play that.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flindip

Just finished it.

Well, I should say I devoured it. First adventure game in a LONG time that actually felt really engaging. Telltale could learn a lesson that adventure gaming should be more than just a series of moral choices.

If you played previous games, I HIGHLY recommend picking this up.

Gum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gum

Awesome game, played it in two sittings and loved every bit of it! This is also probably the funniest and most poignant game I've ever played (at least with the ending I got). I really hope Big Finish makes a killing off of this and makes another!

I'd never played a Tex Murphy game before this, gonna have to plunk down some cash on gog.com for the other games.

Tesla Effect was superb, if you like adventure games then you should really give this one a shot.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By thepantheon

Yeah, adding my 2 cents. Game is incredibly fun. Gave me Deus Ex 2000 era vibes (both in the way it looks and in its gameplay style), not saying you can "go anywhere do anything" but it just gave me that.. DE vibe. can't explain it but ... awesome

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played a Tex Murphy game before, but I bought this on a whim and ended up really enjoying it. It's silly, good fun and the adventure game puzzles aren't so illogical that you want to throw your mouse at the screen. I don't know how far I'm in, about 4-5 hours, probably halfway if I had to guess. I find something about it charming... it feels like a fun throwback to the late 90s early 2000s era of PC games, even in terms of the graphics (that part wasn't a complement... my only complaint is that it looks TOO dated. Everything is so sharp and lacks any kind of post-processing we associate with this gen).

leathersoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a long time since my last Tex Murphy adventure. I helped with the Kickstarter and I'm not disappointed with the end result. Considering the budget this game was built on and the resources they had to build it, I'm impressed. Sure it doesn't look as good as other games out there these days, but it still wins as far as staying true to the original Tex games. I've been waiting for a proper FMV Adventure game along these lines and if they want to Kickstart another Tex Murphy game I'll be ready with my money.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else finish this? I just did a few minutes ago. Watching the multiple endings on youtube now.

I really liked it. If you're going to play it though, play it on casual. The FMV is the best part of the game and the puzzles/pixel hunting are the worst. But yeah, I recommend this to anyone who wants some nice silly story and can enjoy some bad jokes/bad acting. I did unironically love the guy at the bbq shop though. And the card shop guy was kind of funny. What did you guys think?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.