Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

That Dragon, Cancer

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 12, 2016

An adventure game focusing on a true story about raising a son who has terminal cancer.

Joel Green, Inspiration For That Dragon, Cancer, Passes Away

AnjinM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

The boy that inspired the game passed away. As the father of a young child myself, I can't even imagine facing this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Man, cancer sucks but kids who have cancer that is just some especially heinous shit man. I wouldn't even know where to begin picking up the pieces.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Shit. Condolences to him. I don't know how someone can cope will that. I'm super sad now.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

It is a true tragedy and I wish his parents all the good wishes I can. No one should have to suffer what they are suffering.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, cancer sucks but kids who have cancer that is just some especially heinous shit man. I wouldn't even know where to begin picking up the pieces.

No kidding. I won't go into specifics, but someone I know right now has cancer, and it sucks, to put it mildly. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was a child though... Man, what a huge damn bummer.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rollingzeppelin

WHY, WHY DID I CLICK ON THIS!? God damn, I'm in tears. Awful, just awful. I feel terrible for the family and this poor kid.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's just terrible. Having your child in a hospital bed and fearing for their life, and in this case, actually seeing it all end with such tragedy.

I hope his game will help more people get some understanding of cancer and many severe illnesses' impact on people and those who love them, and perhaps, in some small way, may it help the family process such an unfathomable situation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Oh man what a gut punch. I really shouldn't have read Jenn Frank's article about this game that really drove it home for me. I know far too well what it's like to be in a hospital for hours upon hours with a loved one who is terminal.

How just utterly awful for that family to have to go through all that with a child so very young. And boy are they some seriously strong and gracious people. Geez reading their blog Joel's parents have the kindness and patience of saints.

Life just isn't fair for far too many people.

I don't know if I can handle playing this game, it looks like it would make me really sad despite trying to be uplifting.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

Stuff like this is what makes me especially angry when people throw their lives away and commit suicide, get addicted to drugs ect... Some people are unfairly taken away and don't even get a chance to experience life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.