Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

That Dragon, Cancer

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 12, 2016

An adventure game focusing on a true story about raising a son who has terminal cancer.

That Dragon, Cancer; Who's played it?

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wallee321

So I decided to try and check this new indie game out. After just getting done playing it I would say it was worth playing. Nothing new or exciting gameplay wise, mostly just pointing and clicking, but the narrative and story was heart felt and sincere. I liked the art style with its polygonal look and simple geometry. I ended up tearing up a couple of different types during the roughly two-hour experience. I'm not sure, but it seemed like the game could have been a little tighter, but not sure.

I've been lucky and fortunate to have not of lost anyone really close to me, to cancer or any other terrible disease. My grandfather on my mom's side died of cancer in his late 50s. I was only four or five, so my memory is kind of fuzzy about that whole experience. I'm sure this game will, potentially, hit other people harder. As a single guy without any children, I think this game did an alright job conveying the simple joys of spending time with your kids and also some heavy times; although I'm ignorant here, so I don't mean to offend. It didn't feel heavy-handed or anything, but the Green family are Christians in the game, so maybe some people would issue with that.

The game is $15, I felt like I got my money out of it. Maybe, if people feel like Gone Home, being a relatively short experience, keep an eye out for it during one of the Steam sales.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Looks too sad for me, i hope making the game helped his family cope though and they raise some good money for charity.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play it, but as a father of two small girls, and after reading the effect it had on @patrickklepek and Penny Arcade's Tycho, I am literally scared too.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I was a backer of the Kickstarter so I got my copy of the game through that.

Let's see, I played about 80 minutes of the game yesterday. There's some truly inventive stuff with some of the chapters. For some reason I was sort of expecting you sitting around while other things happened around you. And while the game is more or else point at stuff and move around the environment, I thought they did some really neat stuff, like in Chapter 7 or 8. The scene where you have four characters dealing with the situation differently and you can hear their internal monologues, so you get the parent's and the doctor's perspectives.

Perhaps the more noteworthy thing for people to latch onto on an internet forum was the game made me cry for about 20 minutes straight. Like, not a single tear, but full blown crying, sobbing, give me some tissues so I can wipe my eyes and blow my nose crying.

So yeah, I only played those 80 minutes because after a while I kind of wanted to a breather. I didn't feel as motivated to play through the game in one sitting. And then today was a long-ish day at work, so I didn't want to play through the rest of the game with that stuff on my mind. So I'll try to finish it tomorrow or Friday and I'll probably write a review or a blog about what I thought of it overall.

It won't be for everyone and people will have different experiences, but I would recommend the game based on what I've played if you are interested in that sort of game.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

So I finished the game tonight. I don't really feel like writing a review of this game, and I had trouble writing a blog post, even though I generally know what I wanted to say.

Overall I really enjoyed it. My favorite section was the middle and some of the stuff I mentioned above.

So yeah, I think that game is pretty good and it made me cry like a baby.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I liked it for what it was, but I'm not feeling the whole shove-religion-down-your-throat approach. It seems kind of weird criticizing something that's based on reality - I'm not judging the Green family by any means, people cope with things in different ways.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hayt

@rollingzeppelin: Hey thanks for linking that. It was really interesting to get an idea of the game. I noticed the pretty strong relgious overtones coming from Ryan. Does that come through in the game?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the game but I would assume so. Especially the end.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought it and I have no intention of playing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.