Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Combine

Concept »

Also known as the Universal Union, the Combine is a trans-dimensional empire comprised of enslaved species spanning an unknown number of universes, and Earth is their latest annexation.

Have You Shit Your Pants Yet, Today? Click here to shit pants.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By FunExplosions

I'm sure you've all thought about manhacks, those terrifying red-eyed razor-blade drones from Half-Life 2. Maybe you thought about how awesome their design was, or how useful their real-life implementation could be. Well, guess what? They exist now! 

Some fine gentlemen at the GRASP Lab, at the University of Pennsylvania have created the "Aggressive Quadrotor," an autonomous (yeah - hands free, not remote controlled) flying nightmare, that somehow gives off a sound more ominous than the Half-Life manhacks. Basically, these guys tell the thing the general path that they want it to follow, and then it tackles any obstacle in the way to get there. Throw a hula-hoop at it? It will literally time itself so that it can pass through the ring without bumping the edge. 

"Wait! I don't wanna waste the battery! I wanna throw it from the front-lines into a house full of terrorists!" 
    Well, sure thing. You can kick this thing like a soccer-ball, and - just like the manhack - will adjust itself mid-air to full stability. 

But hey, I'm not one to tease people about such things, so here's a video of it getting ready to fly through some warehouse windows and cut up some rebels: 

Like that sound? It's like a swarm of bees, except it's man-made and has the potential to cut your fingers off. Don't really know what the practical uses of this are yet, but I'm sure the military will give these guys a call within the week. I'm just happy we're the combine. The resistance doesn't stand a chance.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

I'm sure you've all thought about manhacks, those terrifying red-eyed razor-blade drones from Half-Life 2. Maybe you thought about how awesome their design was, or how useful their real-life implementation could be. Well, guess what? They exist now! 

Some fine gentlemen at the GRASP Lab, at the University of Pennsylvania have created the "Aggressive Quadrotor," an autonomous (yeah - hands free, not remote controlled) flying nightmare, that somehow gives off a sound more ominous than the Half-Life manhacks. Basically, these guys tell the thing the general path that they want it to follow, and then it tackles any obstacle in the way to get there. Throw a hula-hoop at it? It will literally time itself so that it can pass through the ring without bumping the edge. 

"Wait! I don't wanna waste the battery! I wanna throw it from the front-lines into a house full of terrorists!" 
    Well, sure thing. You can kick this thing like a soccer-ball, and - just like the manhack - will adjust itself mid-air to full stability. 

But hey, I'm not one to tease people about such things, so here's a video of it getting ready to fly through some warehouse windows and cut up some rebels: 

Like that sound? It's like a swarm of bees, except it's man-made and has the potential to cut your fingers off. Don't really know what the practical uses of this are yet, but I'm sure the military will give these guys a call within the week. I'm just happy we're the combine. The resistance doesn't stand a chance.
    Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bevinsky

Holy fucking shit. This is half scary, and half awesome.

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thaijedi

It's not on eBay yet :(

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By smallville123

Its like the thing Will and Norm are testing...only scarrier :|

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scrawnto

Holy Fuck! That is terrifying! It moves so fast! Some day they could have one of those zip around a battlefield with some cameras and build up a 3d map of the place. Shit, they could map the inside of a house, before anyone had any time to react! And if they put a bomb on it, think of the shrapnel those spinning rotors would make! That is some scary shit! I imagine it would make for some rather effective psychological warfare. It's also some really impressive engineering, but damn! Scary!

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onigenko

Oh shit, where's my crowbar...

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Scrawnto said:
    " Holy Fuck! That is terrifying! It moves so fast! Some day they could have one of those zip around a battlefield with some cameras and build up a 3d map of the place. Shit, they could map the inside of a house, before anyone had any time to react! And if they put a bomb on it, think of the shrapnel those spinning rotors would make! That is some scary shit! I imagine it would make for some rather effective psychological warfare. It's also some really impressive engineering, but damn! Scary! "
    Hah, yep. Seems like there's some seriously interesting places this project could lead to. No matter what anyone says, though, if I saw one of those coming at me, I'd duck my head and run as fast as possible. If it even nicks your head, you'll likely lose an eye. Check out the way the guys demonstrating the thing cringe and scurry away as soon as they do what they need to. And there's another video where they show three of them in the air together at one time. Two are stationary, hovering parallel to each other, while another flies in between them. If they added some red LEDs to those, I'd fully expect Gabe Newell to claim copyright infringement. Well, not really. Gabe's awesome.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Leptok

Yeah, the robot apocalypse is coming up pretty damn quick. 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Leptok

Or this one, can stick on walls: 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

The next WW3 will be fought by robots.

(if nukes fail)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yo check this out: 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Leptok: I saw that first video a couple years ago, actually. Or at least the first part of it. Still, though, the way its legs move is just so damn creepy. Hits that uncanny valley feeling in a different way, as well. Now they just need to work on keeping these things quiet. The way they are now, they'd give away positions from a hundred meters away. 

Actually, scrap that. Here's what they should do. Someone who had to have their legs amputated from the war should be asked to have a pair of those legs surgically implanted on him. In a larger scale, as well. In case anyone doesn't know what I'm getting at: like this.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FunExplosions
    @JJWeatherman: Pretty neat. I remember Norm playing with that at ...GDC? I donno, though, it seems like a toy in comparison with this new thing. Something tells me the "Aggressive Quadrotor" would cut through that Parrot AR Drone like butter. And then rape its parents.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @JJWeatherman: Pretty neat. I remember Norm playing with that at ...GDC? I donno, though, it seems like a toy in comparison with this new thing. Something tells me the "Aggressive Quadrotor" would cut through that Parrot AR Drone like butter. And then rape its parents. "
    lol, you're probably right. That video is worth watching though if only for Will's ninja moves and Vinny's near death experience.
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ignor

Man, FUCK progress >=(

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

I'm pretty sure I died from my cold and I'm now in limbo.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ignor
    @Diamond said:
    " I'm pretty sure I died from my cold and I'm now in limbo. "
    Say hello to captain Briggs for me.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Diamond said:
    " I'm pretty sure I died from my cold and I'm now in limbo. "
    Limbo? Hell, it can fly through hula-hoops, so why not do a little limbo. Maybe they're just training a cruise-ship party 'bot.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scrawnto
    @FunExplosions: I think the reason its legs are creepy is that they are backwards. Compare the joints on that to the joints on a dog. The dogs legs go in, out, in. The robot's legs go out, in, out. In being towards the center, and out being away from the center.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Scrawnto: Actually, I think it's just this part: 

No Caption Provided

The way the legs look so eerily human. In motion, and off in the distance in the woods out of the corner of your eye, you'd swear you just saw a person hiking up an incline on all-fours with a huge load on their back (control yourselves). And - holy crap - the part where it slips on the ice. Dude, it's like that scene from Bambi, recreated for the 21st century. All we need now is for someone to shoot its mom. 

Edit: Actually, no. It's not that the legs look too human, but that they look too life-like, in general. It's just human nature for us to see something that looks so incredibly out-of-place and just get freaked out and confused by it.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Oni

Dammit, have all these people learned NOTHING from Terminator???

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Geno

That's so fucking crazy. 

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By finstern

jesus, theres a bit in that video, when he first throws the hoop up, when he catches it the bot looks like its gonna go for another pass through and the dude drops it and looks terrified doing so

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By zidane_24

A little disappointed. My pants remain shitless. 

Sweet find nonetheless. Humanity is full of champions.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Claude

I'm glad I'm old. I'll be long gone before they take my ass. Good luck kids.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By finstern

I cant imagine even trying to outrun one of these things, manhacks have nothing on them 

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Liono88

One thing that freaks me out is this video is probably made recently.  The American government technology is 3-7 years ahead of American society, Japanese and Chinese governments technology are about 10 years ahead of American society. So honesty seeing this video is freaking scary because if these guys JUST developed this flying contraption, I don't want to see whats already been made.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By huntad

I want to tell all those people, "look, just stop. No, I don't care if you think it's cool, it's stupid and you're going to kill us. You're done."

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust

No Caption Provided
    They are funded by the university they are employed by. So there has to be some theoretical application of the prototype. 

If the army doesn't mind, someone else will.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bigdog is just to 'silent hills' for me a makes me uneasy. 

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Brenderous

* readies crowbar

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Liono88 said:
    " One thing that freaks me out is this video is probably made recently.  The American government technology is 3-7 years ahead of American society, Japanese and Chinese governments technology are about 10 years ahead of American society. So honesty seeing this video is freaking scary because if these guys JUST developed this flying contraption, I don't want to see whats already been made. "
    Video was posted yesterday. Don't know about the exact time of their conception, though.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunExplosions
    @JustKamToo: Made in Japan, eh? Something tells me she's got a blurry airstrip down there. 
    @Jeust said:

No Caption Provided

"
    Just thought I'd point out that this guy has an awesome name.

@Finstern said:
    " jesus, theres a bit in that video, when he first throws the hoop up, when he catches it the bot looks like its gonna go for another pass through and the dude drops it and looks terrified doing so "
    Hahah, yep. I love that part. You can tell he's thinking, "Fuck, man. Are we really in control?" And check out the guy in the very beginning of the video, as soon as he throws it up in the air. I'd be wearing shop-glasses if I were them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.