Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

Morrowind's Supremacy

• 66 results
    Avatar image for commencefailure
    CommenceFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CommenceFailure

To me Morrowind was way more memorable than Oblivion was. I felt way more imersed in Vvardenfell then Cyrodill. The cities being instanced or whatever in Oblivion really disonnected me from the land and the fast travel did too. I felt much closer to Morrowind and closer to its land which made me enjoy the game much more. I always hear people talking about how Oblivion is one of their favorite games and how amazing it was, but for me Morrowind was superior imersion and story-wise. What do you guys think?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Termite

Indeed.

Lots of people like Morrowind more than Oblivion and I am one of them

BobTheSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BobTheSlayer

Oblivion was a dissapointment for me. It was so bland and generic when compared to the ever-interesting and always fun Morrowind. As for immersion, Morrowind just absolutely destroys Oblivion. Playing late at night with heaphones in and the lights off sucked me into the world of Morrowind so much more than Oblivion.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sdodd02

Eh, I like oblivion much more, it hooked me more than marrowind did for some reason.

ankyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ankyon

both are really great games. but i would say in the long run i still prefer morrowind. the atmosphere in that game is just awesome.

Bossman4595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Bossman4595

I love morrowind way more than oblivion. I think it was more about the setting. Morrowind felt very mysterious while Oblivion always made me feel calm lol.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Demyx

I never played morrowind, I did want to, but I never got to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I prefer oblivion.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KindGalaxy

Couldn't get into the combat, after the first Dwemer dungeon in the main storyline I quit Morrowind and played NeverWinter Nights until Oblivion came out.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kaido

Daggerfall was still a pinnacle achievement in comparison to Morrowind, in terms of scale.

According to Warren Specter, however, that doesn't mean much.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hmmm I like both, and while i dont like alot of the mechanic changes in oblivion i think its superior to morrowind.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was a maniac for Morrowind for the longest time.

Ask me now, after having played a hundred hours of Oblivion, about whether I preferred Morrowind over its successor, and I would give you a slight shake of the head and this regretful admission:

I don't think I can go back to Vvardenfell.  Not now. 

Bootaaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bootaaay

Oblivion simply did what was needed to make the Elder Scrolls series accessible to a much wider audience - a storyline that didn't require the player to wade through hours of non-main quest gameplay just to attain the level necessary to progress, beautiful and lush graphics, one of the best action combat systems in any RPG, the ability to fast travel and map markers ensuring people always knew where they are going . As much as I love Morrowind, it definitely had it's flaws, but some aspects others might perceive as flaws were the exact reason I loved the game so much. I loved the way the game dropped you into this strange and unique environment with next-to-no guidance and I loved that you had to use your brain to find where you needed to go. I loved being able to explore caves and ruins knowing that venturing inside might glean a totally unique weapon or item, rather than the standard leveled loot found in Oblivion. Most of all, I loved how the story was not only truly epic, but centered entirely around you and your ascent to realising your destiny - in Oblivion I felt like little more than an errand boy, running between one fetch quest and another, all so the NPC characters can have the final showdown. I can fully understand why people prefer Oblivion, why people who never played Morrowind have trouble picking it up for the first time and why more than a few were scared away after just a few short hours in Vvardenfell, but for me Oblivion felt like the antithesis of everything that made Morrowind such a memorable game.

Avatar image for commencefailure
    CommenceFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CommenceFailure

Yeah, for whatever reason the main story in Oblivion was super boring to me. I was much more interested in the guilds in oblivion. In morrowind I could just come across a random cave or building and the only reason it was there was that a Dev decided to spend a half an hour making it. There was nothing like that in Oblivion.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Termite

I hate to say this, and I don't say this often, but here it goes.

They consolified Morrowind, and they got Oblivion.

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lairdo

I though Morrowind was ten times better than Oblivion.

Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ruin

The fast travel in Oblivion is what made me like it more then Morrowind...The time i spent walking around the side of mountains that were to steep to walk over is what made me stop playing it.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By calf_exercises

i never got a chance to play morowind but if people say its  better than oblivion and oblivion is one of my favourite games i think i should give it a look or would it be too difficult going back into an older game such as oblivion after playing more modern action RPG's?

Bootaaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bootaaay

calf_exercises said:

"i never got a chance to play morowind but if people say its  better than oblivion and oblivion is one of my favourite games i think i should give it a look or would it be too difficult going back into an older game such as oblivion after playing more modern action RPG's?"
    The reason people who never played Morrowind have trouble playing it after Oblivion is because Oblivion made a number of significant gameplay changes, some for the better and some for the worse. Morrowind has a lot to give in terms of quests and exploration, far more than Oblivion - however, when you start out it can be very overwhelming, you feel like a droplet in a huge freaking ocean, but with perciverence you slowly discover all the facets of Morrowind that make it such a highly regarded game by those who percivered any gave it a proper chance. I'll list the main differences between Morrowind & Oblivion below, it should give you a good idea of what you'll be in for with Morrowind;

• Combat - this is the most significant change Oblivion made over Morrowind; in Morrowind everything is determined by a dice roll on your stats - this means that if you attack somthing with a weapon you aren't proficient in it will be very hard to do any damage, often your hits won't land at all. This is what you have to expect at the start of the game every enemy will be a challenge for the first couple of levels, but as you start to level up it becomes easier. Also, combat in Morrowind ammounts to little more than clicking and watching your guy swing his sword, you cant do any of the cool charge attacks that are in Oblivion, or block whenever you want (also determined by a dice roll) - it's definetly Morrowinds main flaw, and as such the game isn't really about the combat, it's about everything else.
    • Levelled Enemies & Items - in Oblivion all the enemies & items are 'levelled' - this means that the enemies level with you, so the challenge they pose is nearly the same throught the game, also this means you won't find any high-level weapons or items until you reach the level where they become unlocked. In Morrowind there is no levelling, each enemy is at a set level - this means that in certain areas the enemies may be too tough for you, and it also means that the enemies become easier as you level up, this can be frustrating at low levels as you will probably have to do a lot of running away - however, the items are at a set level, so you can potentially find higher level items anywhere.
    • Guilds & Quests - Oblivion has comparatively fewer questlines than Morrowind - including the main quest, the Shivering Isles & Knights of the Nine expansions Oblivion has 8 questlines to follow. In comparison Morrowind, including the main quest, the Tribunal & Bloodmoon expansions, has 16 questlines. However, in Morrowind questlines can interfere with each other and sometimes you have tough choices to make about who to betray. Also, there are 3 Great Houses that can be joined, however the player can only join one at a time - the same goes for the Vampire clans. This encourages repeated playthroughs.
    • Graphics & Art Style - the graphics in Oblivion are obviousley a HUGE step up - Morrowind is a very murky game, lots of browns and greens. Combine that with some very low-resolution textures, bad framerate and crappy animations, you can see why some people didn't take to Morrowind. However, it's not always about the graphics - the art style in Morrowind is much more varied. In Oblivion you are mostly running through forests and climbing huge never-ending mountains, with quaint little medieval towns, sometimes theres a bit of snow, but eh lets be honest, it mostly looks the same (Shivering Isles is an exception, and in a lot of ways it's very reminicent of Morrowind). In Morrowind theres a huge variety of landscapes and styles - the Great Houses I mentioned above govern most of Morrowind, the Hlallu (an Imperial house) occupy land to the south west which comprises of a combination of swampland, steep hills, craggy coasts and low-lying fertile farmland, their buildings are of the typical Imperial style found in Oblivion - the Redoran (native Dark Elf house) occupy land to the north west which comprises of sparse, wind-swept plains and the poisened ashland deserts, their buildings are a strange style, some made from the shells of dead animals - the Telvani (powerful house of mages) occupy a few isolated islands off the east coast, their buildings are grown by magic, strange mushroom tree structures that require levetation to navigate. Beyond that there are also the ungoverned great plains of the east, craggy isolated islands to the north, a huge mountain spewing ash and blighting the land. And finally, there are the expansion packs - Tribunal provides a massive city to explore and Bloodmoon provides and entire new snow-covered landmass (with Werewolves too :p). Definetly more varied.
    • Travel - in Oblivion you have fast travel where you can travel to any destination you've already visited, plus you have map markers telling you exactly where to go - also, you have a compass that tells you exactly where near-by sites are - Morrowind has a totally different approach. Firstly, theres no insta-fast travel - be prepaed to do some walking. You can pay for fast travel services, such as the silt striders, boats or from the mages guild, but these services aren't in every town, so often you have to make a few stops on the way - also, you can set a mark spell and then use a recall spell at any time to teleport back. Finally, there are no map markers - you have to work out where to go by following the instructions given to you, sometimes you'll have to look out for landmarks and sometimes you'll have to do alot of walking to get there

If these things sound like they're going to bother you, i'd say stay away from Morrowind - but if you can stomache the games problems there is a huge world with a lot of replayability to explore while waiting for Elder Scrolls 5  ^_^ 

vibemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By vibemaster
    Ruin said:
    "The fast travel in Oblivion is what made me like it more then Morrowind...The time i spent walking around the side of mountains that were to steep to walk over is what made me stop playing it. "
    The fast travel in Oblivion is what made dislike it more than Morrowind. It removed all the sense of adventure. In Morrowind, you have to properly stock yourself with supplies before leaving town for a long trek or to tackle multiple quests at once. It made you feel like you truly were exploring and adventuring. In Oblivion, you could just bypass all the immersiveness and fast-travel to one of the cities (which all looked the same. None had character like Morrowind's did!) Of course, you could argue that you can play Oblivion without fast-traveling. However, the game is clearly built assuming the player will fast-travel so it's not a satisfying experience.

Everything about Morrowind's setting is superior to its sequel's setting. Oblivion's map looked like a wheel with spokes, for God's sake. Morrowind looked natural, harsh, and beautiful. Its land had character, its lore had character, its story had character.... Morrowind was truly a place to get lost in. On the other hand, it wasn't worth traveling, or even fast-traveling, through Cyrodiil.
    efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By efrucht

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. For some odd reason, Oblivion fixed everything wrong with Morrowind, but dumped a lot of the things that Morrowind did right.
    Nevertheless,
    The combat was more engaging, the quests were much more interesting and the characters were much more believable. Over all, I like Oblivion much more...

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wesley

I was more immersed in Morrowind, but I was in no way dissapointed with Oblivion. Even though Oblivion had full voice over and slightly better AI, I think its because Morrowind had a more exotic style, I was more mystified by the land and people.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Homer

Hmm, I never played morrowind but I played oblivion should i rent it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Oblivion is a colossal improvement upon Morrowind. It may be nostalgia hooking some of you guys into III.

Not that I'm blaming you. If and when V comes out, I might still prefer Oblivion because of my sense of nostalgia for it-- even if V is much, much better.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    License_To_Bill said:
    "I think Oblivion is a colossal improvement upon Morrowind. It may be nostalgia hooking some of you guys into III.

Not that I'm blaming you. If and when V comes out, I might still prefer Oblivion because of my sense of nostalgia for it-- even if V is much, much better.
    "
    I actually played Morrowind again on the Xbox, and it truly is vastly superior. I couldn't describe exactly why Morrowind was better, but then Yahtzee hit me with it. Oblivion had no immersion, while Morrowind is the most immersive game I've ever played.

3rd best game ever. Oblivion has nothing on it except graphics.
    dwarfzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dwarfzilla

Oblivion didn't really have much personality. I think it was because of how it was supposed to be a flagship 360 title, and the developers thought that it needed to be more mainstream.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demyx
    I'd buy morrowind, but from what I hear, you can log a lot of hours into it. And I don't think I'll have the time.But I might get it soon enough.
    pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pandemic

It seems to me that everyone is failing to notice one of Morrowind's biggest flaws: bugs.  I've played both games, and Morrowind is easily one of the buggiest damn games I've ever played.  I can't get too mad about a game on that scale having bugs--trying to hammer them all out would have taken forever--but if you want a perfectly smooth gameplay experience out of Morrowind then you're going to be dissapointed.

pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pandemic

By the way, awesome answer bootaaay.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I like the regional variety of Morrowing much more than Cyrodil. I also prefer the wider array of guilds (political houses for example).

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Fade2Gray

I may as well pile on. This game stole more hours of my teenage years than nearly any other three games combined (with perhaps the exception of Arcanum). This game is easily in my personal top three list. I do agree that it did have its significant flaws. Sadly, I think this door is shut to me. I've gone back and tried to play again only to find the flaws I looked over so easily years ago completely overwhelming. Take that for what you will, but I'll never forget the good times I had with this game.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By xruntime

I was considering getting Oblivion, but there's been a lot of criticism on it, and it seems like a game I just won't like. I'm not an RPG player, I'm typically a FPS player, and I don't like grinding, I dont like killing enemies pointlessly, I like a story, and I like sticking to that story. Fucking around and doing whatever gets boring after five minutes. I don't like spending 100 hours on a single player game...usually because I will get bored quickly. I have a short attention span.

Is Morrowind any different in this regard?

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fade2Gray

Morrowind would likely be worse for you. Oblivion, and I honestly don't mean this in any disparaging way, was specifically designed to be more appealing to players like you described yourself to be. Most of the criticism you're hearing are from players like myself who remember the series as being about something very different than what oblivion became.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By xymox
    Fade2Gray said:
    "I may as well pile on. This game stole more hours of my teenage years than nearly any other game three games combined (with perhaps the exception of Arcanum). This game is easily in my personal top three list. I do agree that it did have its significant flaws. Sadly, I think this door is shut to me. I've gone back and tried to play again only to find the flaws I looked over so easily years ago completely overwhelming. Take that for what you will, but I'll never forget the good times I had with this game."
    I kind of feel the same way. I try coming back to it, but... It's just not the same any more. The only way for me to play through the game again would be if I had amnesia or something. Arcanum can be replayed, I still have more runs on that game to be played. Still haven't played a tech character in that game after 5 or 6 characters. :D
    But morrowind... I just don't know. The flaws, bugs and crashes just kill the mood for me. Besides, I feel I've seen it all. Seen the end to most guilds, played through the mainquest twise. Been there, done that. Whenever I boot it up, it feels like I'm cheating, because everything is the same. I know where to get a pair of daedric greaves at level one. I know where stuff is. I know how to complete quests. It has come to the point where I can't justify my characters actions in terms of roleplay.

So, personally, I prefer Daggerfall.
    Mostly because it doesn't fucking CRASH every 5 minutes. And also because the character creation is much much better.
    Oblivion and Morrowind are not even in the same ballpark as Daggerfall when it comes to stability. Sure, I'm not going to state it's perfect, but hey what game is.
    ElBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ElBlaze
    I found a copy of the game for seven dollers and I haven't got into right now.
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By zeus_gb

They are both great games but what you get out of them depends on what you want from a game.

Morrowind is superior in depth, atmosphere were as Oblivion is superior in graphics, sounds and accessibility.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Absurd

I couldn't get into it for some reason, I think it was from all the shooters I was playing

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Demilich

Didn't have a good enough PC back then, and it doesn't seem like the kind of game I could easily go back and play.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jonathan

If you compare Oblivion to Morrowind side by side on a chart, Oblivion destroys it. But some people seem to prefer Morrowind. I am not one of those people. Morrowind is too unfocused, glitchy, and filled with MANY small flaws. Morrowind is amazing, Oblivion is near perfect.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fade2Gray
    Xymox said:
    Mostly because it doesn't fucking CRASH every 5 minutes. And also because the character creation is much much better.
    Oblivion and Morrowind are not even in the same ballpark as Daggerfall when it comes to stability. Sure, I'm not going to state it's perfect, but hey what game is."

I've never played Daggerfall. If it holds up as well as you say I may need to give it a try.
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    Fade2Gray said:
    "Xymox said:
    Oblivion and Morrowind are not even in the same ballpark as Daggerfall when it comes to stability. Sure, I'm not going to state it's perfect, but hey what game is."

I've never played Daggerfall. If it holds up as well as you say I may need to give it a try.
    "
    I got to play Daggerfall like a week ago because my friend didn't like it. The first thing that happened to me was that it crashed. It was probably the computer's fault but that's not even the biggest problem. Once I got it to start working I was attacked by bugs such as falling through the floors into endless voids countless times. The game itself (when it was working properly) however was great. The fact that like 99% of the game was randomly generated didn't really bother me. There were also horses in it which was sweet at the time. I'm not sure why they didn't include them in Morrowind...
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xruntime

I tried Morrowind, and got bored quick. I haven't tried Oblivion, and not sure if I really want to.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zebadee

I found Morrowind hard to follow; I would keep getting lost and have no idea what I was doing, maybe it was just me being an idiot but believe me I tried to get into it many times, I would always think "hmm maybe if I try again now I might be able to get my head round it".

*Gets ready to dodge the flames*

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ignor

To each his own i guess, but I'm curious about one thing:
    When Bethesda announced Morrowind, did they promise more than they could deliver?

To me, waiting for Oblivion was more fun than Oblivion itself. Yeah, I'm a principle person.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

I think it was more memorable, b/c you had to really work hard to be good at it. The combat in it was tolorable at the best of times, whereas Oblivion really made it accessable from the begining.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Morrowind was great, oblivion was disappointing, mostly because Vvardenfell was unlike anything you've ever seen before, whereas Cyrodill was generic fantasy fare. Morrowind will always be the better of the two. Oblivion was dumbed down WAAAAAAAAAAY too far.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By xymox
    Dr_Feelgood38 said:
    "Fade2Gray said:
    "Xymox said:

"
    I got to play Daggerfall like a week ago because my friend didn't like it. The first thing that happened to me was that it crashed. It was probably the computer's fault but that's not even the biggest problem. Once I got it to start working I was attacked by bugs such as falling through the floors into endless voids countless times. The game itself (when it was working properly) however was great. The fact that like 99% of the game was randomly generated didn't really bother me. There were also horses in it which was sweet at the time. I'm not sure why they didn't include them in Morrowind..."
    Those bugs never happened to me, so I would consider myself lucky in that regard. :)
    The falling through the floor well that has happened to me, but that was just environmental traps where you go splat... Not sure about endless voids though.

As for horses you actually have one in Arena as well, during the cutscene for the fast travel. But horses in morrowind... Well, don't the dark elves eat them or something? Maybe it was some other race, I forget.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xruntime

There's a big void in my gaming between now and September (when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky is released) that I've been filling with Team Fortress 2 (which I'm somewhat tired of). I think I might finally get Oblivion (and force myself to be patient and give it time). As I mentioned before, my experience with Morrowind was far from exciting, and most people have recommended that I try Oblivion instead because its better suited for a typical FPS player like me. 

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bob_Toeback

Morrowind pulled me in more, but overall I think I like Oblivion more.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Emilio

Oblivion is a good game, but compared to Morrowind it just plain blows. I felt no sense of adventure... there was no need to investigate caves or forts because all the enemies would be the same and all the loot would be the same.
    There wasn't enough armor or weapons to keep my attention, 98% of NPCs pretty much felt the same, and the game felt like it was focusing too much on graphics and not enough on gameplay.

Also, my favorite thing to do was stealing. Alot of the loot had no value, and putting physics on everything made it hard to arrange your goodies like you want them.

I really hope ESV does better, and I hope to Zeus that Bethesda doesn't ruin Fallout 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.