Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Just starting Oblivion IV what race should I be? (HELP)

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jNerd

I just picked up the Bioshock / Oblivion IV bundle from GameStop for $30! I'm done ripping Oblivion to my hdd....
    I've S-Ranked Fallout 3 so I should be vaguely familar with the engine.
    But I've never played Oblivion thus I don't know anything about the Oblivion world, what race should I start out as and why?

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jerusahat

Depends on what aspect of combat you want to focus on. Dunmer would be a good choice as they're pretty well rounded.

My last character was a female Argonian battlemage-type, so you're not really restricted with whatever race you choose. There's a very good wiki that might help if you want to really get deep into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

For your first playthrough, beginners should probably stick with Dark Elves. Their all-around badassery suits inexperience well.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

It's really dependent on what your play style is...I always play as a Mage-heavy character so I use Breton personally. Also, you'll have an opportunity to change your race/birthsign/etc before officially starting the game...in case you don't feel comfortable with your original choice. I'd recommend just trying out the race(s) that seem interesting to you and if you feel comfortable with their abilities during the tutorial then stick with that race...if not, you'll be able to change your race to something else.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Kush: "So I use Breton..." So what you're saying is, you play the game in the correct way? Well done good sir.
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I was an Orc Warrior Warrior.  I smashed things with hammers.  I got the skeleton key because as an Orc Warrior Warrior I couldn't pick a lock to save my life.  You should find the skeleton key.  All I remember about that is that it's a reward for one of the Daedric quests but I don't remember which one.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MMkain

Unless you are a hardcore powergamer I would not fret too much over your race. While different races do favor certain character types, these are mearly perks and their benefits become marginalized as your character levels. My first character was an Orc Battlemage and I had absolutly no problems frying countess guards. There is no prize in Oblivion for creating the most badass character, so I say pick whatever race you like the best and don't worry about how well it synergies with your classes abilities.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jNerd
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @Kush: "So I use Breton..." So what you're saying is, you play the game in the correct way? Well done good sir. "
    lol, I'll probably start with Breton then, or a Dark Elf.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Pick what you want to play as for the entire course of the game, it really doesn't matter much on what you pick, you can train your character into all type of combat if you wanted.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I played as a Khajit (SP?) because i wanted to be a stealth character and they are a very agile race.
    I also improved upon my character by contracting vampirism and making sure to feed to keep the negative side effects to a minimum.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " For your first playthrough, beginners should probably stick with Dark Elves. Their all-around badassery suits inexperience well. "
    This is a good idea, Dark elves are basically you're Mario in Mario Kart. Jack of all trades masters of none. Red Guards are also a good choice.
    If you want to be stealth be Khajjit or Argonian. If you want to be want to be a Warrior be Nord or Imperial. If you want to be magic be Breton...High elves are OK, but they have a weakness to all magic.

On my first play through I was a Wood Elf archer. I mastered light armor and marksman, I rarely used magic only to heal myself...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.